2001: A Space Odyssey - "Discovery" cutlery

Demetrios2177

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this.

I came across an article covering some facts about Stanley Kubrick's film:

http://flavorwire.com/449909/25-things-you-didnt-know-about-2001-a-space-odyssey

It's nice trivia about the movie (and most of it is probably not really news to most people on this site) but my main reason for sharing it is that, apparently, you can still buy the cutlery they used on board the Discovery:

http://www.momastore.org/webapp/wcs...sen-Flatware_10451_10001_49725_-1_26669_26672

It's more than my wallet can bear right now, but still - neat!

Cheers!

Last edited:
My big question would be is that the price for ONE place setting? I don't see any quantity information so I'm forced to assume it must be.

Phrased another way: WTF is that a $20 fork?!

About Arne Jacobsen cutlery, on e-bay Copenhagensilvercom' is selling individual pieces at 27 dollars each, with free Worldwide Shipping - and you can have a 'Make Offer' on the items as well!

Last edited:
Unless you're used to eating with plastic cutlery, I don't think $20 per fork is actually a lot these days. Especially not for a stainless steel, designer name, authentic space fork as used by those poor astronauts who died back in 2001.
Unlike so many other films, there are very few 'authentic' props you can own from 2001. I think this fork and spoon are a good buy. They're available most cheaply, I think, from George Jensen retailers as individual pieces (that's where I got mine after seeing the stupid prices being asked on the internet. Bricks & mortar shops - the way of the future.). Obviously you don't waste money on a complete place setting as only the fork and teaspoon are ever seen. The blue plastic cup/tumbler/beaker I'm sure is 'Thermoware' (and I swear we had some in a picnic set back in the 70s), but I've been searching for ages and still haven't found one quite right. Search on Evilbay for 'retro/vintage insulated tumblers' and you'll see all kinds of variations that are sooo close..
The trays would obviously be very easy to do as vacforms with simple patterns made from MDF blocks, and up close and in focus they do have just a hint of 'hand made' about them that suggests that's how they were indeed made. But if that's beyond your means, yet you still want something to set your fork off in your display cabinet, I think I found what must have been the inspiration. What does this remind you of:
2001 fork.JPG.
For almost every other prop in the film, real-life manufacturers were approached for their ideas about future innovations, so I reckon Kubrick's designers must have been looking at things like this for inspiration.
'Arnoldware' were big in 'plasticware' back in the 60s, also using the names Princessware and Lady Arnold. These 'hostess trays' or snack trays were all the rage (very futuristic) at the time. TV dinners and frozen meals had just been invented and compartmentalised trays, like cafeteria trays for the home, were the latest convenience for eating from. Search for the names on Evilbay and there's almost always one or two for sale. But mostly olive green or beige. Took me ages to find a white one. (Actually made under licence here in Australia by Décor in the 70s. We're always a little behind in trends here.)

A.T.

I have the dinner fork, but which spoon is it exactly? "Cafe Latte Spoon" or "Espresso Spoon" or something else?

2001meal.jpg

I should have mentioned - there are a lot of spoons in the range that all look the same but are slightly different lengths. The one you want is called the 'Child's spoon' or "Large Teaspoon'. The regular Teaspoon is too small and the Late' Spoon (which I originally went for) is way too long.
Here's a better shot of the snack tray:
tray1.JPG
which confirmed the dimensions I had already calculated by scaling from screengrabs, and here's a quick test I knocked up during a couple of lunchbreaks last week:
vac test.JPG
Unfortunately the solenoid to the vacuum jammed so it didn't suck down properly, but it's looking promising. I wasn't sure if I had to make allowances for material thickness. Looks like I do. In coming weeks I'll adjust the dimensions and make up patterns for the insulated trays too. I also suspect the tray itself might have been double-skinned for rigidity. It looks deeper on the outside than it is on the inside.
A.T.

I should have mentioned - there are a lot of spoons in the range that all look the same but are slightly different lengths. The one you want is called the 'Child's spoon' or "Large Teaspoon'. The regular Teaspoon is too small and the Late' Spoon (which I originally went for) is way too long.
View attachment 612850
which confirmed the dimensions I had already calculated by scaling from screengrabs, and here's a quick test I knocked up during a couple of lunchbreaks last week:
View attachment 612851
Unfortunately the solenoid to the vacuum jammed so it didn't suck down properly, but it's looking promising. I wasn't sure if I had to make allowances for material thickness. Looks like I do. In coming weeks I'll adjust the dimensions and make up patterns for the insulated trays too. I also suspect the tray itself might have been double-skinned for rigidity. It looks deeper on the outside than it is on the inside.
A.T.

Looks like I was lucky with my guessing regarding cutlery purchase.

943772_10153447090681611_2572492366588858162_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 612850
View attachment 612851
A.T.

what is the length for the correct spoon please?

-z

Actual measurement is approx. 6 1/8inch or 157mm
And the stock number is: 3 355 031
Description on the label reads:
Arne Jacobsen cutlery steel matte
teaspoon, large/child's spoon
That last line in Danish appears to be: Teske Stor/Barneske

Hope that's enough detail for you, Zorg. You're right to be careful - they all look the same.

A.T.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back