Foam Pepakura Star-Lord WIP - Pic Heavy

BobbyFromBUF

My friend, Kevin has decided that he would like to build a Guardians of the Galaxy, Star-Lord cosplay. I am assisting him with this endeavor. So, I have decided to created a build thread to document our process.

Here goes:

First of all, gotta thank JFCustom for the pdo file! Great job. This is the version of the pepakura file we started with. Here's a link: http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/

As with all foam peps we started by printing the file on card-stock paper, and cutting out the pieces.

DSC_0101 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Once we had the paper parts, we traced them onto the back of an anti-fatigue mat. The mat comes on a 4'x8' roll at Ollie's Bargain Outlet for $17.99. We ended up using about 1/3 of a roll.

We knew that we would never be able to cut out the round pieces of the mask perfectly enough to make pefectly round shapes on the mask. We agreed that the round shapes define the mask. So, we decided to improvise those parts with things that are pre-manufactured and are already round. We had access to some "10 dram" prescription bottles, and we agreed that they would suffice.

DSC_0100 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0097 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Here's a look at the foam parts laid out for assembly.

DSC_0096 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Those other round tubes are free pens I got from a hotel, and the inside of a roll from the receipt tape in a cash register.

DSC_0105 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Together, we liked the way they could be assembled into one another for the side tubing (and that they were free). As others have done with Star-Lord we also decided to use flexible drinking straws for tubing as well.

As far as tools go, we used some regular scissors, my curved lexan scissors, a hand dremel tool, some curved pliers, an x-acto knife, and a grinder.

DSC_0102 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0104 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Since the different sized tubes didn't all fit into one another perfectly we used some scrap foam to make gaskets for the ends of the tubes. This would give us a way to attach them together while still keeping the angles flexible during the build process. To measure the size of the gaskets we just pressed the tubes into the foam like this.

DSC_0107 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0108 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0111 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We concluded that the diameter of the receipt tube was approximately 5/8". So, we drilled a hole in the bottom of the 10 dram bottle.

DSC_0115 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We also found a drill bit that was the same diameter of the pen.

DSC_0117 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Before assembling the foam parts we knew that some of the parts would need to have curves added to them. We angled the front of the "mouth" section by cutting out little trenches in the back of the foam. This way, we could add hot glue to the trench, and then fold the foam over to retain the shape.

DSC_0128 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0130 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Whenever I use hot glue with foam, I press the parts together for approximately 50 seconds to ensure that the glue is hardened enough that the parts won't pull apart on their own. More glue = more time pressing the parts in place with my hands.

DSC_0131 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0132 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0133 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We then went about assembling the parts of the mask. We started with the eye mask area since we wanted this part especially to look symmetrical.

DSC_0134 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0135 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Some foam parts need to have the edges trimmed to allow the parts to properly sit together. Therefore, you need to trim those edges accordingly. This is the part that fits around the eye piece, and bridges the gap to the side of the mask.

DSC_0139 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Starting to come together.

DSC_0140 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0141 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We actually made 2 sets of ear pieces and glued them on top of one another to add depth. From looking at screen captures we felt this was more screen accurate.

DSC_0142 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0143 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0144 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Alright, I'm back...

Once we had the hole cut in the 10 dram bottle we were able to begin assembly.

DSC_0145 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0146 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

As you can see, we cut the top of the bottle cap off, and trimmed off any excess pieces that "stuck out".

DSC_0147 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next we attached the bottles to the mask.

DSC_0148 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Drinking straws were added for the tubing on the front of the mask.

DSC_0150 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0151 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Then we cut off the tops of the larger bottle caps for the eye sockets.

DSC_0152 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We didn't like that this made the eyes kind of side facing. So, we thought about how to address that.

DSC_0154 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0155 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

The "half chaps" or "spats" were something else we didn't feel confident making. So, Kevin ordered them online. He settled on these ones: http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-89712

DSC_0156 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

With the helmet assembled and the tubing in place we still didn't feel that the faceplate looked smooth enough. So, we added some craft foam pieces to really give it a more finished look.

DSC_0158 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We did make one screen accurate mistake here... The semi-circle at the top of the eye mask between the eyes should really be cut out of the mask. On our mask it is a semi-circle glued over the top. Not a big deal, but something you could correct if you try to build your own.

DSC_0159 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

On the sides of the mask are 3 small tube like structures. We settled on using some cheap Dollar Tree caribiners, and cutting them to meet our needs.

DSC_0161 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next we found a tutorial online where someone used a pair (one yellow and one pink) of cheap clip-boards from Walmart to make the red lenses. We tried this, but didn't love the reseults.

DSC_0163 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next we decided that we had to address the texture of the bottle caps. So, we wrapped the caps with some craft foam.

DSC_0164 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0166 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0167 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Once we had everything sized up to our liking we started attaching the craft foam.

DSC_0168 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0169 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

For the mouth area, we thought it would be important to retain some ventilation. Since the design of the mask allows for some vents we decided to take the most advantage of this, and drill holes through the foam in this area.

DSC_0170 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0171 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0172 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0173 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Once we had that attached it became apparent that the more intricate details might become easier to paint if we had a bit of separation. So, more craft foam was added for details.

DSC_0174 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0175 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0176 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0177 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We then drilled a couple more holes to attach the drinking straws on the chin. When we searched through the screen captures we found that some of the photos showed these tubes missing while others had them. We liked the extra details - so we added them.

DSC_0179 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Here's a look at how the caribiners will eventually be attached.

DSC_0180 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0182 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

As you can see in this shot, there are various small pieces of craft foam attached to correspond with helmet details that will be painted on at the very end of the build.

DSC_0183 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0184 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0185 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

As with all foam armor builds you eventually have to address the issue of getting the paint to adhere to the foam. Since I've done this before with my Iron Man MK VI, we used the same technique: 1 part Elmer's Glue and 1 part water mixed together, and painted on. We ended up with about 6 coats or so.

DSC_0186 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0187 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0188 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0189 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Okay. So, not that we've got that drying, on to electronics...

We had several different ideas regarding the eyes. The toughest part of the Star-Lord mask is building a version that will allow the eyes to light up, but also not block the vision of the cosplayer.

After several failures we think we have figured out a way to allow for some vision while also protecting the cosplayer's eyes. As you may not know, LED lights can cause permanent blindness. This was of paramount concern to us.

While our build remains incomplete, we believe we have solved this issue. Here's our plan:

We were looking at this roll of wire from Radio Shack, and it occurred to us that if we could build a similar apparatus we could allow the wearer to look through the hole in the center and simultaneously protect the eye from the light.

DSC_0196 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0197 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0198 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0199 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0200 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0201 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0203 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0204 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0205 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0206 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0207 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0208 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0209 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

The lights we ultimately settled on are like this: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/fairylights9.html

To finish the eyes we are going to use two packets of "Tubular Washers" from home depot for $1.96 per pack.

DSC_0222 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0223 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Of the 6 rings in the pack we are only going to use these 2.

DSC_0224 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

First the gray ring will go inside to hold the lens in place. Then the larger green ring will be added to the outside. These will eventually need to be painted.

DSC_0225 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0226 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Obviously, still not installed, but this is the plan.

DSC_0227 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0228 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0229 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0230 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0231 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

From the inside looking out.

DSC_0233 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0234 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

In these photos you see the extra lights - this is because we are going to use 1 strand of 20 lights with 10 lights in each eye socket.

I'd say it's about 7mm or about 1/4". uploadfromtaptalk1424058478217.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424058506635.jpg

Okay, some more progress.

I threw a coat of dark blue on the mask since I noticed a hint of blue in some of the screen captures. I thought that maybe later we could sand it down, and expose some of that blue if we feel like it...

DSC_0235 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0236 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0238 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next, we started working on the rocket boosters. Kevin found a build thread that used binoculars as the primary shape of the boosters. Once again we thought we could make the most of those silly prescription viles.

DSC_0240 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We found a small chunk of wood I had laying around and figured we could use that for the center piece of the boosters.

DSC_0241 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0242 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Kevin also found a file online for the "Awesome Mix Vol.1" Walkman, and he had it printed out on adhesive paper. Since this is a costume he is planning to wear at charity events we figured we would make 2 versions of the Walkman. One, would be made of a piece of wood, and be super durable. The other would be made of foam, and would actually be able to house his iPhone 6 Plus.

DSC_0243 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I have no idea where this piece of scrap wood came from but it seemed to be perfect for this project. It's sort of an unusual size. I guess it might be a 1"x5"???

DSC_0244 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next Kevin picked up the Sketchers shoes that everyone seems to be using for this cosplay. These set him back $60. We also found some faux leather in the clearance section of Jo-Ann Fabrics. It was $9 for 3 yards of it. The color isn't perfect, but we think we can make it work with some wood stain. We'll let you know how that goes...

In the meantime, we traced the shoe to make the spats that cover the laces.

DSC_0245 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0246 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0247 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0248 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We also started working on the headphones. We found headphones for $1 at Dollar Tree, but obviously they're not orange. We threw a couple coats of glue on the foam part, and let it dry overnight. Today we threw a coat of orange paint on them. It's still drying, but we'll share the results later on this week.

DSC_0249 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

After several coats of paint in various colors we agreed that the Rustoleum Metallic Dark Grey was the best of our choices.

DSC_0251 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

This super bright lighting really shows all the flaws. It looks way better in person.

DSC_0252 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

When we built the helmet we added some craft foam pieces where-ever we thought the paint would be different to allow for more separation, except the back. We honestly just didn't realize that there should a few more details on the back of the mask. Since it's too late to add more foam, we just taped that area off. Maybe we'll do something later on to address these details. But, for now, at least you can learn from our oversight.

DSC_0254 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

And the taping continues...

DSC_0255 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0257 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0259 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0260 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Maybe we'll paint his yoohoo gold! Haha...

DSC_0261 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0262 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0263 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

After removing the tape...

DSC_0264 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0265 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0266 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Finally, with one coat of silver on the smaller details.

DSC_0267 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0268 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0269 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0270 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0271 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0272 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0273 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Left to do:

- Add straps/buckles to the half chaps
- Attach spats to the half chaps
- Find the right pants
- Create belt buckle
- Finish Orb
- Finish Nap-sack
- Finish Blasters
- Finish Rocket Boosters
- Attach lenses and lights

So, after taking a hard look at our progress photos, we decided that our gold was too copper, and our grey was too dark grey.

To address the grey we punished it! Just kidding, a little topical humor for you. No, we just gave it a light sanding. The sanding really knocked it down a few shades, and we are pleased with the results.

DSC_0277 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0278 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I mentioned that Kevin found a file for the "Awesome Mix Vol. 1" Walkman. He had it printed out on adhesive paper, and we just slapped the decal on a piece of scrap wood I had laying around. I drilled a hole in the wood to accommodate the headphone jack, and we glue some scrap pieces of foam to the side for tape player buttons.

DSC_0279 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0280 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next we attached those caribeners that we chopped in half for the 3 tubes on each side. Also, I used my soldering iron to leave tiny holes representing the screws in the helmet. We may add screws (like the ones from eye glasses) if we can find the right ones.

DSC_0281 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0282 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0283 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0284 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Finally, on to the eyes.

DSC_0285 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I mentioned earlier that we wanted to give the cosplayer the ability to have the eyes light up while still maintaining some vision. Here's our solution - small piece of PVC pipe attached to a small piece of craft foam.

DSC_0286 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

It took quite a bit of trial and error, but eventually we arrived at a solution.

DSC_0287 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0288 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0287 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We ended up using a single string of micro led lights. The light string can be purchased as seen below from various vendors on the internet. The version we bought comes with the attached battery supply, and the lights are wired in parallel so that the string can be cut at any point without disrupting the function of the remaining lights attached to the power source. Our strand of lights began with 20 leds. We cut the strand leaving 11 leds. We wrapped 5 led lights on each end into loose coils. We left 1 light in the center, and covered that light with electrical tape. Each eye socket would then have 5 lights inside of it.

DSC_0289 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0290 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0291 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0292 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

These were test shots before anything was glued in place. A "dry fit" if you will...

DSC_0293 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0294 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0295 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0296 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Obviously, we still need to address the small amount of light escaping around the sides of the eyes. But, we are pleased that Kevin can wear the mask with compromising his vision. His field of vision is a bit limited, but this is to be expected with any helmeted costume. More updates later on this weekend. Goodnight for now!

I just realized that I never added any photos of the inside of the mask.

DSC_0300 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We just used a small piece of craft foam to make a sleeve for the battery pack to slide into.

DSC_0301 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Next we wanted to add some more details to the front of the mask. So, we used a flexible plastic rule to draw some lines.

DSC_0302 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0303 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0304 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0305 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Then we started working on the belt buckle. We searched through a bunch of screen captures of Chris Pratt, and then I just free handed the shape onto some foam.

DSC_0306 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We cut out some craft foam pieces to add depth.

DSC_0307 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0308 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I used my hot soldering iron to add some pitting to the buckle.

DSC_0313 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0314 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We also started gluing together the pieces of foam for the Walkman. This Walkman will be able to house Kevin's iPhone 6 Plus with it's case attached.

DSC_0315 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

After a bit of trial and error, we settled on using an old faux leather garment bag from the Thrift Store as the source for some of the leather details on the half-chaps.

DSC_0316 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0317 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0318 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0319 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0320 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0321 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0322 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

With one of the spats cut out I just flipped it over and traced it onto the other spat to ensure the two pieces looked symmetrical.

DSC_0323 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0324 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0325 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0326 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0327 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

For the metal details we used part of some Dritz snaps. We used the hot soldering iron to poke holes through the spats, and then attached the snap bottoms using a snap tool.

DSC_0328 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0329 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0330 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0331 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We didn't like that you could see the shoes through the holes. So, we attached a second layer of the faux leather.

DSC_0332 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0333 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We weren't exactly sure how to attach these spats, so we came up with the idea of making a few more holes, and stringing the shoe laces right through the spats.

DSC_0334 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0335 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

We will likely add a second piece of faux leather to the knee pad section, but not tonight :)

As I said earlier, we we decided to add some faux leather to the back of the knee pads. Next we glued all the leather pieces together. Apparently, hot glue doesn't work very well with leather. I started adding some stitching as a back up. Some snaps were also added to help hold the spats in place.

DSC_0336 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0337 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0338 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0339 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0340 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

This nylon webbing was added so the shoe laces could be laced though it.

DSC_0341 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0342 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0343 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0345 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0346 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0347 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0348 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Back to work tomorrow, hopefully more updates next weekend. Have a great week!

Here are some updated photos. Still not 100% done, but getting very close!

DSC_0351 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0353 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0354 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

What if Star-Lord landed on Hoth?

DSC_0357 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0358 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0359 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0360 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0361 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0362 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0363 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0365 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0366 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0367 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0368 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0369 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0370 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back