New McFly jean jacket replica!

The pointy bit is off centered (from the pockets), was that meant to be like this on the original jacket?

Nope. Not sure if they will fix it for the final version or if it is an oversight that they want to stick with.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm thinking this jacket variation was rare even when it first came out. If after about 34 years only one has been found and proven to exist, the initial quantities of these jackets had to have been very small.

Huh. I am very gladly proven wrong lol. I guess a couple different models exist since the button snap in the middle is different in the movie than yours. And the waistband has more sections than the screenused prop. But great find and I hope you never get rid of it.
Sorry for replying to such an old post, but there is definitely is at least three different models of this same style.

First being the model used in the movie, which before the custom lining was added, originally featured an image of a dirt bike as the inside lining and only two sections on the waistband, as well as dent styled buttons. jonnytrooper owns this model, and posted an image of the jacket on another thread about Marty costumes (EDIT: This jacket is currently at the BTTF Exhibit located at Hollywood Museum). As far as I'm concerned, this is the only screen accurate genuine Guess jacket that has been publicly said to exist (But I would love to be proven wrong). A vest version also exists in the correct colour, and is currently for sale on eBay right now!
Guess BTTF Jacket Model 1.png

Second, is the same style but with the word "GUESS PRODUCTS" written on the inside lining. Unlike the movie jacket, this features three sections on the waistband, and is the version Lyon Estates owns. This is the style TheNickFox also recently found, but in the incorrect colour. Although I also noticed Nick's version has the more detailed Guess logo on the buttons, compared to the basic dents, making it technically another later revision of this model. (Just as before, vest version also exists).
Guess BTTF Jacket Model 2.png

Lastly, is the version Lyon Estates mentioned earlier in this thread called the "close but not exact" jackets, with the different stitching, Guess logo on the buttons, larger spacing between the pockets and middle of the jacket, and the rectangle white GUESS logo above the front pockets. Another user, mattsf2003, used to own this jacket in the 80s, and also confirmed "GUESS PRODUCTS" is written on the inside lining.
Guess BTTF Jacket Model 3.png

Last edited:
Sorry for replying to such an old post, but there is definitely is at least three different models of this same style.

First being the model used in the movie, which before the custom lining was added, originally featured an image of a dirt bike as the inside lining and only two sections on the waistband, as well as dent styled buttons. jonnytrooper owns this model, and posted an image of the jacket on another thread about Marty costumes (EDIT: This jacket is currently at the BTTF Exhibit located at Hollywood Museum). As far as I'm concerned, this is the only screen accurate genuine Guess jacket that has been publicly said to exist (But I would love to be proven wrong). A vest version also exists in the correct colour, and is currently for sale on eBay right now!
View attachment 1617580

Second, is the same style but with the word "GUESS PRODUCTS" written on the inside lining. Unlike the movie jacket, this features three sections on the waistband, and is the version Lyon Estates owns. This is the style TheNickFox also recently found, but in the incorrect colour. Although I also noticed Nick's version has the more detailed Guess logo on the buttons, compared to the basic dents, making it technically another later revision of this model.
View attachment 1617581

Lastly, is the version Lyon Estates mentioned earlier in this thread called the "close but not exact" jackets, with the different stitching, Guess logo on the buttons, and the rectangle white GUESS logo above the front pockets. Another user, mattsf2003, used to own this jacket in the 80s, and also confirmed "GUESS PRODUCTS" is written on the inside lining.
View attachment 1617582
Great write up!

I agree with most of this, but personally I think there are two main lines and variations like stitching or logo snaps were down to how inconsistent some of their stuff was or just what supplies they had on hand.

There is also the possibility that the double stitch belt was a feature of jackets above size 18. My current thinking is that MJF wore a size 18 based on scaling it against a Class 5 vest, but a 16 would likely look very similar and perhaps they used just one line of stitching on smaller sizes so the belt wouldn’t look huge.

The two variations, that I believe are the main ones, are an 80s model and a late 90s made in Mexico one.

Interestingly the companion vest uses a unique triangle patch that says Paris on it despite the vest’s inner tag saying it’s made in the US.

I think there is a possibility that those vests started as full jackets and were modified for a “Guess Paris” line. That’s speculation and there is evidence against it too (like the seam across the back) but it’s a weird feature worth noting nonetheless.

I have begun trying to reverse engineer the style numbers of Guess jackets and while the jacket I have is a P6801, I’m starting to think that the actual jacket may have been a “P6802.”

2 tends to appear in place of 1 on jackets that have denim where leather might otherwise be.

That’s total speculation, based on inference, but figured I’d share it anyway.

Like I said, great write up! One of these days we’ll figure out all the details.

Great write up!

I agree with most of this, but personally I think there are two main lines and variations like stitching or logo snaps were down to how inconsistent some of their stuff was or just what supplies they had on hand.

There is also the possibility that the double stitch belt was a feature of jackets above size 18. My current thinking is that MJF wore a size 18 based on scaling it against a Class 5 vest, but a 16 would likely look very similar and perhaps they used just one line of stitching on smaller sizes so the belt wouldn’t look huge.

The two variations, that I believe are the main ones, are an 80s model and a late 90s made in Mexico one.

Interestingly the companion vest uses a unique triangle patch that says Paris on it despite the vest’s inner tag saying it’s made in the US.

I think there is a possibility that those vests started as full jackets and were modified for a “Guess Paris” line. That’s speculation and there is evidence against it too (like the seam across the back) but it’s a weird feature worth noting nonetheless.

I have begun trying to reverse engineer the style numbers of Guess jackets and while the jacket I have is a P6801, I’m starting to think that the actual jacket may have been a “P6802.”

2 tends to appear in place of 1 on jackets that have denim where leather might otherwise be.

That’s total speculation, based on inference, but figured I’d share it anyway.

Like I said, great write up! One of these days we’ll figure out all the details.
Thanks for the extremely detailed reply!

This jacket is definitely incredibly interesting to me, and I have only really been researching about it for the last few months. Rereading every single post about the jacket, and collecting as much images as I can. I have always been massive on 80s media and fashion, heavily basing my wardrobe on 80s inspirations (thanks Marty). Getting an accurate replica of this jacket is currently the one thing I'm aiming for the most, although it will definitely take a while since I'm still a teenager myself and money isn't exactly easy.

My thoughts on the different sectioned stitched belts is purely based on studying every image of the correct styled jacked I can possibly find online. While nothing can unfortunately be officially confirmed, I feel we are definitely getting as close as ever before in finding new information, and I definitely have you to thank for putting in the effort you do to find out information about the jacket no one has found before.

You mentioned you believe there was a model made in the late 90s in Mexico. I haven't heard this before, I assumed the jacket was only made during the 80s. How did these Mexico made jackets differ?

I'm looking forward to what you're going to be able to uncover about the jacket, and as you said, hopefully we will finally reach a suitable conclusion to all the questions everyone has had over the decades.

The Mexican jacket (if it can be proven to be real) doesn’t have the triangle logo and has “Hecho en Mexico” on the tag.

Guess didn’t have sewing facilities there until 1996-1997 so they would have had to have been made then.

It also appears that the “tell” I’ve previously mentioned ONLY appears on the USA version.

I believe that this particular Made in Mexico is a knockoff though because Georges left guess one 1993, 3 years before they had operations in Mexico:

And some additional photos of that jacket.
1FF2839F-1FA7-4553-A323-FC0E179CE8E5.jpeg
0F002FE5-7468-4D57-9CD2-62B7C1001A07.jpeg
719BF4B5-86C2-43D9-A4F4-F3A2F2A0808A.jpeg
059C3BBB-B980-4D6E-9B4D-ED86BC3A7A37.jpeg
70E877F5-164B-4698-918A-3587FD063B70.jpeg
E473BA25-7EE4-42B7-A9A6-8658E032F5D2.jpeg

The Mexican jacket (if it can be proven to be real) doesn’t have the triangle logo and has “Hecho en Mexico” on the tag.

Guess didn’t have sewing facilities there until 1996-1997 so they would have had to have been made then.

It also appears that the “tell” I’ve previously mentioned ONLY appears on the USA version.

I believe that this particular Made in Mexico is a knockoff though because Georges left guess one 1993, 3 years before they had operations in Mexico:

And some additional photos of that jacket.View attachment 1617808View attachment 1617809View attachment 1617810View attachment 1617811View attachment 1617812View attachment 1617813
Thank you, this is very interesting.

Is it just me, or does the quality of the jacket seem to differentiate from the original jackets? Purely speculation based on how it looks on the image though. Almost looks like a tougher denim. Makes me think it could be knockoff, as you said.

Last edited:
The exact same jacket Marty wears was seen to be worn in a TV show from the mid 1980s, The Twilight Zone (1985).
Found this out from a Facebook post from @fluxingwithpower.

Attachments

• Screenshot (460).png
    Screenshot (460).png
    223.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot (456).png
    Screenshot (456).png
    321.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot (458).png
    Screenshot (458).png
    402.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot (459).png
    Screenshot (459).png
    200.9 KB · Views: 121
Found at a garage sale, or last weeks ebay auction?

I wish I had known about the $600 reward. I've had two of that jacket for years now and even a vest version of the movie jacket.
View attachment 460987

The two jackets match the movie pattern and are identical in construction with the exception of the gathered area hiding the elastic. The one on the left is longer and has one more row of stitching.

Looking forward to more news on the lining!
do you still have 2 ? I'd buy one if you would sell it

And some additional photos of that jacket.View attachment 1617808View attachment 1617809View attachment 1617810View attachment 1617811View attachment 1617812View attachment 1617813
It’s awesome so much info on these jackets have come out over the years. And great that people are finding surviving ones and keeping them safe. Mine is going in a display case once I find one.

Attachments

• 350A4528-CF4D-4F24-9CAC-F265E457D6B1.jpeg
    350A4528-CF4D-4F24-9CAC-F265E457D6B1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 100
To be clear, the few that have actually turned up in the wild with the correct color scheme were all kids' sizes, right? Were the MJF jackets possibly made for boys, and production just bought the largest boy size?

To be clear, the few that have actually turned up in the wild with the correct color scheme were all kids' sizes, right? Were the MJF jackets possibly made for boys, and production just bought the largest boy size?
My jacket is labeled as a Large, but it fits like a slightly bigger Men’s Small. I’m 5’5 so it fits me pretty good. TheNickFox, has stated it’s likely the movie jacket was a size 18. Not sure why they used numbers for the 1984 jackets, but traditional S,M,L for the Mexican jackets.

Last edited:
This is how my Large fits on me. As previously mentioned, I’m 5’5 and the length is like a size Small. A little wider in the torso than you’d typically expect though.
9E0CB3CA-EF9A-4F77-B05D-51911917F17F.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back