New McFly jean jacket replica!

V, hey, does this mean the original jacket was something you could buy back in the day, and not custom for the film? That Gamester jacket looks accurate to me... Thanks for posting.

It was custom made. The jacket in the link is a just a very good replica.

EDIT: It was not custom made. It was a real product in 1984.

Last edited:
V, hey, does this mean the original jacket was something you could buy back in the day, and not custom for the film? That Gamester jacket looks accurate to me... Thanks for posting.
The movie version was modified especially with the inner lining, but still could be based on an existing jacket's design with the right color scheme. Some say the actual ones from the 80s that resembled the movie version are knock offs.

Apparently there is a 90s BTTF.com interview with the costume designer who did say it was custom made. Maybe someday we can get that reconfirmed with more details.

Okay, cool, thanks guys - so this jacket here is a replica? Not an original artifact from the 80s?

jacket1.jpg

The guy who posted that on the BTTF.com forum didn't get them in the 80s, but acquired it few years ago on ebay. But there was another member who did own a similar jacket and posted his photo from the 80s. Some say even that was a replica made in the 80s, but I am not so sure.

There is the argument that if Guess did make that movie design, why weren't more readily available and why haven't more of those jackets from the 80s shown up in the after market. Valid point, but still not enough to completely invalidate the movie version owned by the other fan in the 80s.

We don't have all the facts and some of the details through the years aren't always accurate. Some claim to have complete authoritative knowledge on that jacket and its history, but I continue to remain skeptical on the details for now.

Why does that automatically make it a replica? Why can't it be that this is a jacket made by guess, and the movie jacket was altered from this?

Because Guess has never claimed it as their jacket. It's a huge piece of his costume. You would think that a big successful clothing company would take credit for their own clothes in such a popular movie.

Because Guess has never claimed it as their jacket. It's a huge piece of his costume. You would think that a big successful clothing company would take credit for their own clothes in such a popular movie.

Sure, I agree. but the flip side is the exact same. Has Guess ever officially denied it, either? just insisting that it's a replica without any proof is the exact same thing as the people who insist it's the real thing. Neither side can prove it, so why is one side more correct than the other? Why do people get so bent out of shape about it? I remember tons of these jackets in multiple color schemes and fabrics, including this pattern made by guess, available in my childhood in the 80s in south Texas. Isn't one of the arguments that this model was made by Guess in Mexico? Could be they never made too much of an import into the states from Mexico. Could also mean that it is an original 80s tailored Mexican knockoff with guess labeling, but still an original, meaning that Marty's is a knockoff and admittedly film altered guess jacket, just like this one. Maybe that's why the buttons and tags were removed for marty so they wouldn't get sued, like the Nike word on his Bruins. Which I'm still confused as to how they let the swoop slide. Different product placement rules in hollywood then, maybe. Plenty of handbags sold in New York and l.a. With all kinds of labels that aren't legit. The point is, no one can definitely shake their tiny fists and say yes or no. I like to think there is hope that it's the real deal. Keeps the fans hunting.

Speaking of of product placement, just got the hot toys marty. No swoops on his shoes. They look more like Adidas. No aiwa label, no jansport, and oddly no valterra or Madrid markings in the board. Who will save the day and make tiny labels for us?

Sure, I agree. but the flip side is the exact same. Has Guess ever officially denied it, either? just insisting that it's a replica without any proof is the exact same thing as the people who insist it's the real thing. Neither side can prove it, so why is one side more correct than the other? Why do people get so bent out of shape about it? I remember tons of these jackets in multiple color schemes and fabrics, including this pattern made by guess, available in my childhood in the 80s in south Texas. Isn't one of the arguments that this model was made by Guess in Mexico? Could be they never made too much of an import into the states from Mexico. Could also mean that it is an original 80s tailored Mexican knockoff with guess labeling, but still an original, meaning that Marty's is a knockoff and admittedly film altered guess jacket, just like this one. Maybe that's why the buttons and tags were removed for marty so they wouldn't get sued, like the Nike word on his Bruins. Which I'm still confused as to how they let the swoop slide. Different product placement rules in hollywood then, maybe. Plenty of handbags sold in New York and l.a. With all kinds of labels that aren't legit. The point is, no one can definitely shake their tiny fists and say yes or no. I like to think there is hope that it's the real deal. Keeps the fans hunting.

Speaking of of product placement, just got the hot toys marty. No swoops on his shoes. They look more like Adidas. No aiwa label, no jansport, and oddly no valterra or Madrid markings in the board. Who will save the day and make tiny labels for us?

Mexico never had a Guess plant back then so a genuine one from Mexico was impossible. I believe BTTF Forum explained it quite well in another thread. As for logos for the figure, theres a seller on ebay that sells logos for the shoes and camera. He told me he is working on an eastpak (not Jansport) logo for the backpack, skateboard, and walkman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guess has absolutely stated that they CUSTOM made the jackets for BTTF. They also confirmed that the jacket was NEVER made for retail sale.

The link to that jacket sold in 2012 is absolutely a replica. There are several things wrong with that jacket in comparison to the film made jacket. One in particular is the jacket buttons. Those were used by Guess much later.

Guess has absolutely stated that they CUSTOM made the jackets for BTTF. They also confirmed that the jacket was NEVER made for retail sale.

The link to that jacket sold in 2012 is absolutely a replica. There are several things wrong with that jacket in comparison to the film made jacket. One in particular is the jacket buttons. Those were used by Guess much later.

Woops lol. Well there you go. Never in retail. I believe you said you have the two jackets that were mixed together to make the movie jacket? Do you have pictures?

Last edited:
Eastpak, yes. I'm gonna totally pay for that rookie mistake! Can you pm the ebay seller to me, please? I'd love to get the decals.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome. Was this in an article, or an interview? Where can we find it? I would love to show some friends here. We debate it all the time.

Woops lol. Well there you go. Never in retail. I believe you said you have the two jackets that were mixed together to make the movie jacket? Do you have pictures?

I have two Guess made jackets that I combined to make a jacket. They are two different styles. I am not satisfied with the jacket and am attempting to do a better one. I also have sourced the buttons that were used by Guess in 84, before they started to make their own buttons.
The Guess jacket made for the film was basically at the transition of Guess going from 1 style to another. According to the interview I saw Deb went to Guess and working with them created that jacket. The two styles were blended. I also have an amazing screen shot that lends some important info on what they did to create it. This was also not the only thing she did with Guess. Most of the clothing used by Marty and Jennifer are Guess, with the exception of the Shah Safari shirt,and Class-5 vest.

I am racking my brain trying to remember where I saw the interview. Its out there somewhere.

Ummmm, there was a Marciano jacket that was for sale on eBay last year. The images aren't loading for me now but I PROMISE you I saw the images and it was THE Marty jacket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-To-The...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I saw them too, and saved them. Seller said it was in his wife's mom's closet. I'm just not sure that I buy that it was never in retail. I guess it's possible this person's wife's mom also worked with Guess to custom make this jacket, but seems really unlikely. Plus, wasn't there a guy who posted on the BTTF forums with a photo of him as a kid wearing the same jacket in the 80s? He said he owned it as a kid but didn't know what he had at the time and since got rid of it. It all just doesn't add up for me.

1517460_10153362953164676_6603656043314690539_n.jpg 10420249_10153366356069676_1177122316888372749_n.jpg 10734213_10153366356819676_93378002406389809_n.jpg

I have personally spoken to this guy several months ago. He lives in NJ. He cannot in any way show any proof that this jacket existed in the 80's. I asked him quite a few questions and the story does not add up. He does not have a single picture of anyone wearing the jacket. He cannot explain how his mother bought a mans jacket and wore it for all those years. The reality here is he bought a replica jacket many years ago and was unloading it. This jacket has the tell tale replica signs on it. It also has a tag that does NOT say made in the USA. If this jacket was even close to real it would be sitting in my closet with the other 80's Guess jackets I have.
I was on the old BTTF Forum from day 1. There was never any picture of anyone wearing a Marty style jacket outside of stills from studio produced shows with the exception of a headless picture of someone who claims the picture was from the 80's. Reason for the lack of head???? Simple. IF this guy showed the head he would then have to show a picture of himself today to prove any sort of timeline. When you are making a bogus claim you have to omit the truth to make your story seem real.
The old forum did way more to prove the jacket was a custom made jacket for the film then it ever did for the 1 or 2 people that tried to claim they owned something they didn't. Only 1 jacket ever made it out to the public and the Teen Beat winner has never been found. That jacket would be worth a forutne and would never be sold on the Bay for for anything less than $50,000.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that Hollywoodtailor wasn't legitimate. He hasn't posted or even logged on to the forum in more than a month. I only wish that there was a TRULY accurate replica made. The liner I could go without because it's all about the jacket itself. The community needs a great replica.

I think it's safe to say that Hollywoodtailor wasn't legitimate. He hasn't posted or even logged on to the forum in more than a month. I only wish that there was a TRULY accurate replica made. The liner I could go without because it's all about the jacket itself. The community needs a great replica.

Yeah, bit of a shame really. Was hoping it was legit! Oh we'll. I hope someone out there has the jacket, comes forward and shares the jacket with the world.
:D I would have loved to have known what the rest of the liner looked like! If it was all different or just repeated sections with the same characters.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back