New McFly jean jacket replica!

I made some more pictures. I feel a bit uncomfortable sharing pictures around the old country side but I guess it's okay:

mcfly3.jpg

mcfly4.jpg

Bonus Pic: I had no space on the table and thankfully the floor has been cleaned some days ago, therefore everything's on the ground. NikeLabs Leather Bruins 2015, Max Cady's BTTF Denim Jacket + Shirt, a random wine red t-shirt and somewhat 80'ies blue jeans.

Please note that the colours are off due the old digital cam, especially for the puffer vest which looks actually more like this ("Selected Homme" Gilet in "Arabian Spice"). I may get a replica class 5 vest at some point but to be honest with you guys I rather not wish to spend +$400 on a simple puffer vest from Headgoonies or Magnolia Clothings which costs in the production perhaps $15 excluding the actual work on it. If Max Cady's is going to release a new version of their puffer vest I might jump in.

I'm looking forward to go with the set around the city starting september/october. I have done this in the past with similiar cosplay sets (like the Infamous Second Son Delsin Rowe set from Insert Coin Clothing) and as far as I'm concerned nobody gives a f__ what you wear. Ditto for my past Marty McFly-set with the Majestic Court Tennis Shoes and a random Pull and Bear Jacket. Thankfully most people are ignorant and can't recognize such pieces at all.

But to make it short: Yes, both the jacket and the shirt were worth the money.

mcfly5.jpg

I made some more pictures. I feel a bit uncomfortable sharing pictures around the old country side but I guess it's okay:
Bonus Pic: I had no space on the table and thankfully the floor has been cleaned some days ago, therefore everything's on the ground. NikeLabs Leather Bruins 2015, Max Cady's BTTF Denim Jacket + Shirt, a random wine red t-shirt and somewhat 80'ies blue jeans.

Please note that the colours are off due the old digital cam, especially for the puffer vest which looks actually more like this ("Selected Homme" Gilet in "Arabian Spice"). I may get a replica class 5 vest at some point but to be honest with you guys I rather not wish to spend +$400 on a simple puffer vest from Headgoonies or Magnolia Clothings which costs in the production perhaps $15 excluding the actual work on it. If Max Cady's is going to release a new version of their puffer vest I might jump in.

I'm looking forward to go with the set around the city starting september/october. I have done this in the past with similiar cosplay sets (like the Infamous Second Son Delsin Rowe set from Insert Coin Clothing) and as far as I'm concerned nobody gives a f__ what you wear. Ditto for my past Marty McFly-set with the Majestic Court Tennis Shoes and a random Pull and Bear Jacket. Thankfully most people are ignorant and can't recognize such pieces at all.

But to make it short: Yes, both the jacket and the shirt were worth the money.

Thank you for sharing the pictures! It's nice to see different versions of the costume pieces from other makers. I think what you have is just great! It's all about having fun right! :):thumbsup
I also have the Nike Lab Leather Bruins 2015, love them! Always wanted a pair! :cool

So I pick up my jacket today from the tailor. When my fiance went to see if it was done 3 days ago she said it was like 80% done so we gave her until today to finish it. Almost 5 months after she told me it would take two weeks...

So I pick up my jacket today from the tailor. When my fiance went to see if it was done 3 days ago she said it was like 80% done so we gave her until today to finish it. Almost 5 months after she told me it would take two weeks...

Finally. Been ages!

Finally. Been ages!
So I'm kind of too nice of a person. It wasn't finished so I gave her until the last day I am visiting home. If it's not done I will take it back and bring it to someone in North Carolina where I'm stationed.

No progress photos?
At this point I don't have faith in her to finish it. When I went there, only the right side shoulder pieces were removed and nothing else. From what I saw when I went there, nothing is ruined. Just the shoulder is unstitched with the triangle and front blue piece taken off.

At this point I don't have faith in her to finish it. When I went there, only the right side shoulder pieces were removed and nothing else. From what I saw when I went there, nothing is ruined. Just the shoulder is unstitched with the triangle and front blue piece taken off.

Hope you're not paying a lot of money. Is that all she'd done in the whole time it been there! :eek

So now that I have my jacket back I am doing a mod myself before I give it to another tailor. The screen used jacket elastic waist only has two sections. The Headgoonie jacket has 3, so I'm removing the bottom section. I'm cutting very close but not directly on the golden stitching. I will seal up the bottom with a very light bead of super glue.

Did she actually do anything!?
Not really. She undid the stitching on the right shoulder and removed the shoulder triangle and front piece. Nothing was ever reattached. She said she got rid of the denim I supplied her. The stuff she wanted to use was also too light in color. She said my supplied denim was too thin, but even with the new fabric she used, she doubled it up. I have another jacket ordered that I will take it all to a new tailor in North Carolina.
13600301_10207106387246119_8123654719652266398_n.jpg

13626967_10207106387406123_555211426828532865_n.jpg

This doesn't deal with the jacket being tailored, but with the two actual Guess pockets I have I found that the pockets on the HG jacket are too small. I would get my new pockets put on the jacket, but the color contrasts too much. The HG jacket is much darker. No doubt because the real pockets are 30 years old lol

Last edited:
Here is what my waistband looks like now. I used a drill to remove the buttons. I will remove the buttons above the ones i just removed and center them like the movie jacket. And the pieces hanging off will be cut off. I think it looks pretty good so far.
13654320_10207106437927386_5269568680287653887_n.jpg

I just removed the last buttons. They aren't reattached yet they are just laying there.
13606848_10207106482568502_4365453803618261845_n.jpg

Last edited:
I got this jacket from eBay. It's not from Guess, but I referenced pictures of Guess jackets that have the correct blue color and this one matches.
$_1.jpg

This is the jacket with the real Guess pockets laied over the original ones. They look to be about half an inch wider.
13567505_10207107039342421_500434448032762301_n.jpg

I hope some time down the road HG makes another version of this jacket. I think it would turn out better if they fade the fabric first before sewing the jacket together. Parts of the jacket are still dark blue that shouldn't be. I contacted Headgoonie about obtaining the chemical that fades the fabric, but was told that it's industrial and can't be sold to regular people.

Last edited:
So I contacted a local tailor, explained my whole situation, and asked them if the project was in their skill set. They said they could do it, so this Saturday I am taking it to them. I really hope this turns out well. I really love this jacket.

So I contacted a local tailor, explained my whole situation, and asked them if the project was in their skill set. They said they could do it, so this Saturday I am taking it to them. I really hope this turns out well. I really love this jacket.

Thats good man. Hope these guys are better for you. Will the pockets stay that lighter colour? I "GUESS" :D that there isn't anything they could do to match up the lighter part of the jacket with the real pockets is there? Or vice versa?

Thats good man. Hope these guys are better for you. Will the pockets stay that lighter colour? I "GUESS" :D that there isn't anything they could do to match up the lighter part of the jacket with the real pockets is there? Or vice versa?

No the Guess pockets were originally for a scratch made jacket but I could never find the right stonewashed blue fabric. They are just laid on top of the existing pockets. Maybe if I find. Way to add more color to them while still keeping the the stonewashed look. I would have to change the pocket flaps again if I find a way to do it after I get it tailored. I was originally going to make the triangles on the arms a little shorter to be more screen accurate, but that would leave big dark blue areas showing, so I will leave the new pieces the same size. That's why I'm saying if they make another revision to the jacket they should stonewashed and fade the fabric before they sew the jackets together. That way all the fabric is evenly faded and there will be no dark areas. It also should have been faded more than it is. Also comparing the real guess pockets to the HG jacket, the original color of the jacket from HG is a different blue. The real Guess pockets had more of a purple color.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back