Better Call Saul

There's a lot of development in this show.

I find it to be the exact opposite...as for Mike, he's no different from the beginning of BCS till the end of BB....just my OP;).......it is watchable, just think they should have started Jimmy out way differently, no arc at all.

I just binge watched two seasons and it's quite good. It's interesting to contrast the two brothers' world views.
They're diametrically opposed in their beliefs but neither is really the "bad guy." It's tempting to say their difference lies in a distinction between morals and ethics.

Jimmy is defined by his morals where the outcome justifies the means. He committed forgery to correct the "thievery" of Mesa Verde from Kim. Even his brother says that Jimmy doesn't set out to do harm people. It's unfortunate that Jimmy is typically too myopic to see the long term harm he does to others and himself. But he's trying to right perceived wrongs. That's why he will still come to help Chuck even after discovering he blocked him from getting hired or when he's gathering evidence for forgery against him. Because his relationships are what matters most.

Now let's take Chuck. Chuck is solidly defined by his professional ethics. Unlike Jimmy he will do everything to embody impartiality - even when he's clearly applying the tools of his trade for an advantageous outcome. He doesn't believe Jimmy deserves to be a lawyer but refuses to say it explicitly to Jimmy. Unlike his brother he does act with malicious intent but does so within the boundaries of his professional ethic. No doubt he's worked harder and sacrificed more to get to where he's at - I can understand his resentment in that Jimmy "expects" a free ride to the top. I feel bad that his mom's last words were. "Jimmy." In the dinner "lawyer joke" scene it's clear he's not comfortable with spontaneity. Maybe his wife left because he has no way to express himself emotionally. It shouldn't be surprising that this lack of expression gives rise to unresolved internal conflict ultimately manifesting as neurosis.

I just binge watched two seasons and it's quite good. It's interesting to contrast the two brothers' world views.
They're diametrically opposed in their beliefs but neither is really the "bad guy." It's tempting to say their difference lies in a distinction between morals and ethics.

Jimmy is defined by his morals where the outcome justifies the means. He committed forgery to correct the "thievery" of Mesa Verde from Kim. Even his brother says that Jimmy doesn't set out to do harm people. It's unfortunate that Jimmy is typically too myopic to see the long term harm he does to others and himself. But he's trying to right perceived wrongs. That's why he will still come to help Chuck even after discovering he blocked him from getting hired or when he's gathering evidence for forgery against him. Because his relationships are what matters most.

Now let's take Chuck. Chuck is solidly defined by his professional ethics. Unlike Jimmy he will do everything to embody impartiality - even when he's clearly applying the tools of his trade for an advantageous outcome. He doesn't believe Jimmy deserves to be a lawyer but refuses to say it explicitly to Jimmy. Unlike his brother he does act with malicious intent but does so within the boundaries of his professional ethic. No doubt he's worked harder and sacrificed more to get to where he's at - I can understand his resentment in that Jimmy "expects" a free ride to the top. I feel bad that his mom's last words were. "Jimmy." In the dinner "lawyer joke" scene it's clear he's not comfortable with spontaneity. Maybe his wife left because he has no way to express himself emotionally. It shouldn't be surprising that this lack of expression gives rise to unresolved internal conflict ultimately manifesting as neurosis.

yeah... but there's "no development" in this show. :rolleyes

So far I've found it spectacular... and--as you have shown--there is PLENTY going on here...as long as one pays attention.

I'm halfway through Episode 5 of Season 2, and I'm bored. This show moves along a such a snail's pace. Way too much time spent on Kim Wexler. I don't give a damn about Kim Wexler. She's a total drip, and not even hot. Way too much Chuck, he's a freak and a bore. And even the season's first scene with Tuco was poorly written/shot/edited.

I struggled through Season 1, hoping things would be take off in Season 2, but so far, it's another dud season.

I'll keep watching--for now. But this series is greatly disappointing.

The Wook

ps~PLEASE, if you respond, NO spoilers. Thanks.

This show moves along a such a snail's pace
I love the show despite this, but I feel a little cheated after every episode.
It's like watching an NFL game. In 3 1/2 hours there is only 60 minutes of play and in the 60 min, there is really only about 20 min of actual play.

I might start a new post on this topic.

OK, I watched the newest episode. It's good, despite the filler. Do we really need 5 minutes of annoying music and Cinnibon footage???

Like BB, the writing and characters of BCS are so good that each scene creates interest for a brand new story line. Suddenly they have a dozen or dozens of little mini cliffhangers, but they torment us with annoying music and mall scenes.

Perhaps the Cinnibon bits are how they tell about the final days of Jimmy /Saul? You get the back story AND the end story.

I really like the "future"/current segments of Saul/Jimmy working at the Cinnibun. I actually wished there was more of them; I love seeing the colorful Saul stuck in the doldrums of everyday mediocrity.

If there's only one thing I don't like about this show it's these contrived meetings with other characters from Breaking Bad. Mike, Gus and Tuco (despite how poorly written and portrayed I think the latter character was) were staples of that show, I don't need to see them again in this one in these odd, coincidental, and kind of force-fed meet ups which play out equally well as the reveal that Vader built 3PO.

WOW! Typical for Vince & Co. they drove off the road into uncharted territory. What is Mike up to? Who's body is that? Kim really showed she can keep her stuff together. Jimmy is being, well Slippin' Jimmy. Nacho is getting interesting too. He's starting to remind me of Mike. I wonder if nacho's plan will work. Its gotta be like 120 degrees in Nacho's money pick-up spot. Chuck looked like he was getting a little better, but still hasn't come to grips of how he treated Jimmy during his mental problems. So will it be Hamlin & Hamlin, without McGill? Next week looks like a fun episode!

WOW! Typical for Vince & Co. they drove off the road into uncharted territory. What is Mike up to? Who's body is that? Kim really showed she can keep her stuff together. Jimmy is being, well Slippin' Jimmy. Nacho is getting interesting too. He's starting to remind me of Mike. I wonder if nacho's plan will work. Its gotta be like 120 degrees in Nacho's money pick-up spot. Chuck looked like he was getting a little better, but still hasn't come to grips of how he treated Jimmy during his mental problems. So will it be Hamlin & Hamlin, without McGill? Next week looks like a fun episode!

I think the body is from last season when Mike stopped one of Salamanca's trucks with tire spikes and then ripped off the money. Gus later mentioned to him that an innocent bystander came along later, stopped to help and got killed. He felt guilty about it ever since.

last night I realized I am REALLY starting to not like Jimmy. Chuck is STILL a POS, but he's gonna have to go against Howard. Poor Kim! Nacho looks to be in a really tight spot. Mike, not so much. Great episode. Still waiting to see Hector stroke out.......

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back