Better Call Saul

I think it's pretty simple: Chuck is a selfish p.rick, Jimmy is a crook. Period.

This and Breaking Bad are shows about anti-heroes. These are people not meant, or typically meant, to be liked but they are our protagonists and they must be portrayed in a way we as an audience sympathize, often times root for, but it must never be forgotten that these people play by their own rules and they may not always align with our own moral compass.

That's not to say that this show is not without its faults but it is entertaining enough for me to let most of the things slide. I dunno if the next season is the final but they're really pushing what they can milk from this material already, I feel.

Last nights show was wonderful. Sad to see Mckean most likely gone. How his death will affect Jimmy is TBD. Will Jimmy end up inheriting Chucks payoff? Will he use it to buy a strip mall and therefore have a free storefront for Saul Goodman? Did we see how Hector ends up in wheel chair unable to speak? Howard did the most damage to Chuck by paying off Chuck out of his own pocket. Nacho is about as lucky as you can get. Gus was the good guy too! Hide in plain sight.

Yeah, this was a great episode to close the season. I hope that's the last we are going to see of Chuck, his story line really played out more than a few episodes ago. But the way Chuck got "chucked out" of his firm was magnificently done and I doubt Jimmy will see the millions, I bet that cheque wasn't even cashed yet. Liked the way a lot of character beats came to their conclusions, and there's probably two seasons left before they bump up against the Breaking Bad.

Last nights show was wonderful. Sad to see Mckean most likely gone. How his death will affect Jimmy is TBD. Will Jimmy end up inheriting Chucks payoff? Will he use it to buy a strip mall and therefore have a free storefront for Saul Goodman? Did we see how Hector ends up in wheel chair unable to speak? Howard did the most damage to Chuck by paying off Chuck out of his own pocket. Nacho is about as lucky as you can get. Gus was the good guy too! Hide in plain sight.

I dunno if I think Chuck will be gone necessarily. There is a good possibility Jimmy came back to give Chuck a piece of his mind and discovered the house in flames and pulled his brother to safety. I *do* feel that if Jimmy was to return to the house there is almost no chance he wouldn't save his brother. He cares for Chuck far more than Chuck cares for him...that's for certain.

I think we absolutely saw how Don Hector ended up in the wheelchair.

I wonder what eventually happens to Nacho...since we didn't see him with the Salamancas in BB, I have a feeling someone finds out what he did and that's the end of him. Remember Mike was adamant that he make sure to switch the pills back again? I think that sideways look from Fring implied that he saw what Nacho did, or at least suspects foul play on his part.

I definitely don't think this show is "milking it" or dragging things out. There is plenty here still for us to enjoy, and I can't wait till the next season!

Yeah, this was a great episode to close the season. I hope that's the last we are going to see of Chuck, his story line really played out more than a few episodes ago. But the way Chuck got "chucked out" of his firm was magnificently done and I doubt Jimmy will see the millions, I bet that cheque wasn't even cashed yet. Liked the way a lot of character beats came to their conclusions, and there's probably two seasons left before they bump up against the Breaking Bad.

I agree. Three seasons of Chuck's insanity was enough for me and I've always thought he was the one element of the show that brought it down a notch. With him out of the way I think next season will really fire on all cylinders.

Cause and effect is what drive the character plots in BB and BCS, so what does Chucks death do to/for Jimmy? Will Jimmy inherit Chucks stuff money etc? Jimmy ruined his OWN NAME so Saul Goodman looks to be his next name he'll use. Rhee mentioned in an interview less than 3 weeks ago that in the BCS universe, if you go it will be spectacular.

Just finished season three. I really like this show, but I can't ever see me doing repeat viewing.

So, what was it that was still running the meter at Chuck's house? I kept waiting for him to find some kind of hidden camera or microphone or something (although I can't figure out why one would be there). Or was it something as simple as the meter itself runs on electricity and that is why it was still turning?

As far as I know about city planning (which isn't a lot) is that a home will always draw power even when fuses are cut and lights are turned off. Just unplugging something doesn't stop power being sent to your home. As far as I know, the only way to have power cut from your home is for the city to do it and in Chuck's case, that never happened.

That makes sense. Gee, when Chuck first figured out he had this sickness (or mental condition) a few years ago, why didn't he just stop paying his electrical bill so the power would be cut off? He seemed like a smart guy, you would figure he would've thought of that.

I figured he tried to make his case to them when he first "got it" and the city just figured he was nuts and cutting power to him would put him in more danger than not.

I just hope Chuck is really gone and next season doesn't start with someone kicking in the door and saving him.

Well, I gave this show a chance, but I'm out. Season 3 is newly on Netflix, and I watched the first episode tonight. Just as I feared, it sucked.

God, Saul Goodman was such a great character on Breaking Bad, and Bob Odenkirk is such a fantastic actor, this spinoff show could've been great! But, it is one of the most dull, tedious, uneventful shows I've ever seen. Events that should take 2 minutes of airtime on the show, are stretched to 10...at least. The amount of shots of characters just walking around, or staring at nothing while pondering in silence, or staring at each other in silence, or performing mindless tasks, is staggering--and they are maddeningly boring. Oh, and the whole Chuck storyline is just dreadful to watch.

Can't do it anymore.

The Wook

I like the show and thought season three was the best so far. It's heavy on nuance, for sure. Lots of little moments of introspection that eventually add up to something more explosive. I can see how some would find it boring. Personally, I love that kind of slow-burn character development when it feels earned. These characters feel genuine to me.

Chuck is annoying but the guy is such a mess. What's not to like about a smart, finicky, prideful, spiteful, head case? Okay, let me rephrase... what's not to like about disliking him?

Jimmy is interesting because it's fascinating to watch a basically decent person trade optimism for cynicism. It's not exactly a fall from grace since he was never portrayed as an angel, but Jimmy is fighting his demons. I agree, though, he's more fun to watch as Saul (he's getting there!).

Kim isn't all that fun since they mostly have her functioning as a moral compass for Jimmy. But I still like her and the actress.

And I never get tired of seeing the wheels spin in Mike's brain. I love how that guy operates, the way he takes his time and thinks two steps ahead of everybody else. I'm grateful the show exists just to see more of him. And now Gus has joined the party, so that should ratchet up the intensity for next season. I'm all in.

But, it is one of the most dull, tedious, uneventful shows I've ever seen. Events that should take 2 minutes of airtime on the show, are stretched to 10...at least. The amount of shots of characters just walking around, or staring at nothing while pondering in silence, or staring at each other in silence, or performing mindless tasks, is staggering--and they are maddeningly boring.

Can't do it anymore.

The Wook

Thats the typical AMC based television format except its been brutally extreme in this series. That absurdly silly fuel cap bug is a great example. What the AMC branded shows have (or have had depending on where the series in question is at now and Im pointing at you Walking Dead) however is whats lacking on network tv, character development and focus. You get to know the characters very well, but, where is that fine line between drawn out repetitiveness and over the top stupidity (again Im pointing at you Walking Dead) that drives viewers away. Better Call Saul started out pretty damn good until it found the rut of the shows arc and impending end where it catches up to Breaking Bad. Thats when these tediously drawn out five minute segments became multiple episode story lines. Ill be honest, Breaking Bad wasnt some great tv series to end all. The same thing went on in that show. What built that series was its characters and character development, again, thats lacking in generic network tv. When too many characters or story arcs/plots are involved thats when things go haywire (hi Walking Dead, sad to see youre still not listening) and viewership drops. There comes a point when the shows characters become morons and the viewers themselves would have to be the same to support it. There could be simple edits to many of this shows episodes taking a few down to maybe ten minutes each and you would not lose anything. Thats when you have to question is it worth watching anymore.

The new Season 4 teaser-trailers have explained a LOT to me. Jimmy gets chucks inheritance $$.
He's back with his law license and all that $$$ He's bought a big car with tag LYWRUP.
His shirts are nice and clean from the cleaners too.
His first TV commercial had been done.
Saul is looking for a chemist for Gus, and Spots Walters photo in the yearbook!!

Thats the typical AMC based television format except its been brutally extreme in this series. That absurdly silly fuel cap bug is a great example. What the AMC branded shows have (or have had depending on where the series in question is at now and Im pointing at you Walking Dead) however is whats lacking on network tv, character development and focus. You get to know the characters very well, but, where is that fine line between drawn out repetitiveness and over the top stupidity (again Im pointing at you Walking Dead) that drives viewers away. Better Call Saul started out pretty damn good until it found the rut of the shows arc and impending end where it catches up to Breaking Bad. Thats when these tediously drawn out five minute segments became multiple episode story lines. Ill be honest, Breaking Bad wasnt some great tv series to end all. The same thing went on in that show. What built that series was its characters and character development, again, thats lacking in generic network tv. When too many characters or story arcs/plots are involved thats when things go haywire (hi Walking Dead, sad to see youre still not listening) and viewership drops. There comes a point when the shows characters become morons and the viewers themselves would have to be the same to support it. There could be simple edits to many of this shows episodes taking a few down to maybe ten minutes each and you would not lose anything. Thats when you have to question is it worth watching anymore.

Yes, I really wish they had explored and fleshed out that fuel cap bug more, maybe another 10 minutes of closeups of Mike taking it apart. lol I also would've like to have seen a couple more minutes of Mike eating pistachios in the dark--mostly closeups of the empty shells landing in the bowl. smh

Thanks for posting, Rob--I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds its snail's pace maddening.

The new Season 4 teaser-trailers have explained a LOT to me. Jimmy gets chucks inheritance $$.
He's back with his law license and all that $$$ He's bought a big car with tag LYWRUP.
His shirts are nice and clean from the cleaners too.
His first TV commercial had been done.
Saul is looking for a chemist for Gus, and Spots Walters photo in the yearbook!!

Look, I know I said I was stopping after Season 3, Episode 1, but still, others are checking in to this thread, and you really should not post spoilers--at least not without a WARNING up front. WTF?

The Wook

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back