The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore - complete prop

bennygorilla

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All,

This is my first project, and I'm looking to put my all into it. After tackling the APM cover, I wanted to give the more intricate and difficult "Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore" a go.

However I realised 2 things:

1. the cover that is available leaves a little to be desired (they are very good proxies, just not quite what i wanted)

2. there is no book to fill out the interior of the book.

So...what have i done i hear you ask?

Well, I have recreated the screen version of the cover, as detailed as I can, see attachment. I am still to do the embossing but I will need the spine width before i can achieve this.

I have also created the internal cover art, seen in this screenshot i found (see attachments)

I'm also recreating the interior of the book as best I can. I have scoured as many sources as I can for text of this. I am currently busy organising this so that it reads as proper book. Although i only have around 200 pages or so. I will try to get as close as I can to the 900 pages that is spoken about in the HP series, however i feel i will have to be creative with the page numbering to actually be able to use the book. I will keep people posted on how far through i am.

Once i have the interior printed on blurb, i will know how wide to make the spine width, once i have this, I will reprint the cover above with the correct dimension for a 13x20 book. Then to add the finishing touch I will have a rubbing plate created so that I can make the necessary embossed lettering etc that appears on the cover from the film.

Hope you all enjoy this. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG-20150204-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150204-WA0003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG-20150204-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20150204-WA0004.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 693
  • page_lifeandlies.jpg
    page_lifeandlies.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Any critisisms, comments, additions, ideas for the interior would be very welcome. I'm looking to complete this in a matter of months. I'm currently working through the manuscript for the book. and editting the pages together with images and relevant text.

Are there any other sources for the text anyone knows of?, in case i missed some.

it's nice to finally see some props with actual text!
great job!
i was thinking of making quibblers some time back with real articles you can read..as most of the ones i've seen people make just have jiberish with cool pictures.

thanks for sharing.:D

Thanks ultraman. I'm looking to make the book fit into the HP universe at the time it was supposed to have been published. I think there will be some bits that aren't quite right but I know I want to include them so will be interesting to read none the less.

I was looking at doing a quibble at some point to. I'll certainly be doing the cover with the spectrespecs cut out that can actually be worn.

Will be good to see how others interpret it. How much of the book do you have written? I'm currently at around 300 pages ish...covering dumbledore birth to his death, the great wizard in duel between him and grindelwald, including his relationship with major characters through the series.

I am around halfway through checking the text for canon. I am still to add my Rita Skeeter embellishments to the text. I am off work next week, so will be able to dedicate a proper day to the text. Will update once I am further through.

I looked at as many references as I could for the design. And then created it all in photoshop. I'm not sure how, or if, I will charge for re-creations. But I will keep you posted.

Hi guys, justva short update. I have been making steady progress adding in Ritas comments to the canon. There are a lot of spelling mistakes in the texts, and grammatical errors too, so progress is slower than i would like. I'm thinking the final layout of the book will be 300-350 pages. So I will have to use creative page numbering so that it looks like the 900 pages it should be...

then when someone's like; "hay what happened to pages 4-567?!?!?"

you say: "oh yeah muggles can't see those pages silly!!!"

Well had an interesting day at comic con today. Actually got to meet miraphora mina. Fantastic lady with lots of advice. Cracking on with the interior. Almost finished. Hopefully will be ready by the end of summer.

OK. I have good news. Most of the grammar/spelling mistakes were in the first part of the book. Now I just need to add the rita skeeter additions and imagery in there and it will be ready to get printed...currently looking at 300+ pages. It would be good to get to the 340 mark after the last additions. I think this is achievable. Any other ideas for me guys?

Sent from my SM-C115 using Tapatalk

I have good news. I reckon that I'll be ready to get the book printed next week. I will post images up soon! Thanks for all the interest. hopefully you will be rewarded.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back