Back to the Future Gibson 345 Replica Guitar

Sorry, but the binding on your guitar is white.
My binding looks exactly like this picture in real life.
SnapzProXScreenSnapz021.jpg

I'm actually thinking of aging the gold hardware. I read some certain products can do the job. I will do more research and see what I come up with.

Nitrocellulose lacquer is only ever used on high-end "heritage" style repros of past guitars.

Just an FYI: as far as I know, all actual Gibsons are still finished with nitro, not just their custom shop or reissue models. Granted, they're still way, way more expensive than the Chinese knockoffs, but it's not just the high end (of the Gibson line) that uses it.

My 10 year old Les Paul's binding has darkened a lot and is really yellow where my leather strap hangs across it when I'm not playing.

^ I can corroborate that. My 1988 Gibson LP's white binding has turned decidedly amber over the years, and tobacco burst top has taken on a warmer color.
Not anywhere in the neighborhood of the finish on my 1957 LP Jr., but still nice and aged looking.

I ordered some new pickup screws to replace the gold ones. I got silver ones for the screws in the middle and black for the coner screws. That's how it looks in the movie anyway.

My custom pickguard says it was delivered. I will get it from my friend tomorrow. For those who don't know. I live on a military base and don't have my own house, so i get my stuff shipped to my friend which he in turn brings to me.

I'm actually thinking of aging the gold hardware. I read some certain products can do the job. I will do more research and see what I come up with.

honestly, if you wanna aged the gold hardware you just need to play it, wether you can play or not, the sweat from your hands will age it in no time, happens all the time the my hardware on my guitars

I ran into a hiccup today when I got the pickguard. I must have not given the seller enough information, because it doesn't fit right. I messaged him about it. Ill update as I get more information.

Rigt now I'm actually thinking of aging the whole guitar. It looks too new for my taste and I love the vintage look of real Gibson ES models. The first step would be to get the super shiny finish down to more of a sheen. I researched that some 6000 grit finish paper would do the job. Then use nevr-dull on the gold hardware.

I should have my revised pickguard by tomorrow. I got the black screws for the pickups, but I'm waiting on the silver ones to install them all at once.

Just bought some 1500-4000 grit polishing pads to start dulling down the finish and some Nevr Dull to age the pickups, stoptail bolts, and pickguard bracket. The stoptail bolts and bracket are pretty much all the way silver, but I have to be carefull to still leave some gold streaks on the pickups.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what tie and clasp Marty wears at the dance? I know he's wearing a houndstooth blazer, but I want to have those pieces as well. I'm trying to put together that suit. If you stop the youtube video at just the right moments you can see a sort of black and white checkered pattern.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

Last edited:
Does anyone know what tie and clasp Marty wears at the dance? I know he's wearing a houndstooth blazer, but I want to have those pieces as well. I'm trying to put together that suit. If you stop the youtube video at just the right moments you can see a sort of black and white checkered pattern.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

Nope. Looked for that tie online for many hours. Never identified it. Could have easily been custom-made. And several brands made houndstooth jackets in that color scheme and pattern size, so never identified it either.

I've gotten the stoptail bolts to a nice nickle color with a tad bit of gold still on it. I'm still working on the bracket, but it's getting there. The pickups are very stubborn though. I don't think Nevrdull even works on them. The metal must be gold all the way through because nothing is wearing off.

Well i was interested and wouldnt mind paying but the guitar is not available anymore and all the ther models theres always something off, either theres no gibson on the head or the frets are not the same

Last edited:
Almost done. It just needs to have the stoptail botls, pickguard bracket, and cream tuning pegs installed. The pegs I ordered will take a while to arrive though. The black pickup corner screws and silver screws were installed.
11055384_10204205709650992_8406281746690162365_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back