Back to the Future Gibson 345 Replica Guitar

The Chinese replicas also come with white binding around the guitar body and neck, as opposed to the more-accurate cream binding. They have the cream binding and use it on some of their replicas, you just have to ask them to use it beforehand.

I believe the binding on my guitar is cream. Look at the binding on my guitar compared to the white on the pickguard.

The binding on the real 345 isn't actaully cream, the Nitrocellulose lacquer that they use causes the white binding to take on an amber color.

These chinese guitars are probably finished with polyester or polyurethane, it's much cheaper and sets faster.

Am I the only one in the community that is interested in having this guitar? I would like some feedback. It seems like the only comments I get are small observations. I remember in the guitar thread before I made this one tons of people talked about the different guitars. But once I stepped in everything went silent.

EMS tracking says it was delivered to my friend's house. I will follow up with him tomorrow and see if he got it. I'm excited that it finally came. Took a little more than a month, but that was because there were blizzards in New York where it got delayed for a little while. More updates soon to come.

Am I the only one in the community that is interested in having this guitar? I would like some feedback. It seems like the only comments I get are small observations. I remember in the guitar thread before I made this one tons of people talked about the different guitars. But once I stepped in everything went silent.

I'm interested! I've been subscribed to the thread and watching updates. Just haven't been ready to pull the trigger on everything yet, but I appreciate all the information you're sharing for when it's time for me. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes together!

Got my guitar today! I took the liberty of replacing the knobs, making the 12th fret screen accurate, and gluing on the gold plate.
10849076_10204066468570052_4192611211683931603_o.jpg

It's funny to me how well you are replicating a guitar from a movie when people spend way more and have more difficulty replicating an actual musician's guitar.

A gold stopbar set shouldn't be difficult to find for less than $15 from Asia, or if you want it quick, GuitarFetish.

I recommend if anyone gets this guitar to ask for the included pickguard bracket to not be installed or even included at all. I have a small screw hole I can't cover up with the new bracket. Same thing if you plan to install a Bigsby B7. Also on an unrelated note, the guitar comes with a right angle guitar cord, a spring, and an alan key.

Last edited:
I just finished talking to the man on ebay who is making me a custom pickguard and he said he will keep this specific custom one on file so that if anyone from here wants the same one they can do so. Just say that you're from therpf and you have Jacob as a reference.

I believe the binding on my guitar is cream. Look at the binding on my guitar compared to the white on the pickguard.

Sorry, but the binding on your guitar is white, just not quite as pure white as the pick guard edge. It's also been added to a place the originals don't have it—inside the f-holes.

Here's a pic of brettyboy's replica, which has the same binding as yours:

DSC_03172_zpsk8eizshh.jpg

Just like yours, the white binding looks slightly duller than the pure white pickguard edge, but still white. Now notice an in-progress pic the Chinese maker sent him. It shows the two binding colors clearly—the white used on his and your guitars, and in the background to the right two ES-shaped guitars, one with the accurate and much-more-amber cream binding:

DSC_0325_zpsfsdsrqgj.jpg

I pointed this out on the other thread, along with some of the other things that the next buyer should ask for to make one of these Chinese guitar replicas more accurate.

They put the wrong model Bigsby on it, the B700. The guitar in the movie has the made-in-the-USA B7 model. To save a bit of cash on a replica, you could opt for the "licensed version" of the B7, which is the B70. It looks almost exactly like the B7, and is what Epiphone used on their ES-345 replicas.

Here's what [else] I see so far he could change:
• The binding color to cream (though I believe both the Gibson re-issue and the Epiphone copy came with non-accurate white binding). Also look at the first cherry guitar hanging on the rack behind yours. It has cream binding, so we know they could have used this.
• The Bigsby model he attaches to it (change it to either the B7 or at least the almost-identical B70).
• The knobs (to black ones with gold reflective tops).
• The Varitone dial base and output jack to gold from the current silver (at least I see gold on all pics of the '63s and the movie guitar).
• Remove the binding from the f-holes. The originals had none, and the inside edges of these F-holes were simply stained red like the rest of the guitar.

The original movie guitar had a tune-o-matic bridge originally installed and the Bigsby B7 was retrofitted, with the two large screws that originally secured the tune-o-matic bridge retained. You'd have to add those two large screws to be completely accurate.

The binding on the real 345 isn't actaully cream, the Nitrocellulose lacquer that they use causes the white binding to take on an amber color.

These chinese guitars are probably finished with polyester or polyurethane, it's much cheaper and sets faster.

True, but the binding on the guitar used in the movie was cream-colored, and supposedly new. Gibson and Epiphone do sell guitars now with cream-colored binding as new. My ES-335 special edition-based replica came with cream binding as new for example,

So if you're trying to replicate the guitar as seen on film, and cream is available as an option on the new guitar, you would logically go with that.

Well...all of the info you've put in this thread was already in the other thread. It would be different if it needed to be put into a new thread because of the info being scattered throughout multiple threads, or discussed as a tangenital discussion in another thread whose primary purpose wasn't BTTF guitars, but it was all in one place already, in a thread entitled "Back to the Future Guitars." Sooo....

This thread kind of gives the impression that you researched and found the bulk of the details on this guitar, and were the expert to whom folks should ask questions, when it was me, mrsmartypants, renesix, and a few others that did so in the other thread. brettyboy was the one that found the Chinese seller that makes the replica this thread focuses on. If you made a new thread so that just this one BTTF guitar (ES-345 TD) can have its own thread, and focus just on the Chinese replica, fair enough. But it goes a long way to mention that a new thread is being started even though a current one exists because of x, y, and z, and to credit any info repeated from the other thread to the folks that found and shared it, instead of just restating all of the info in your own thread like you just recently found these details yourself.

You asked for feedback...

True, but the binding on the guitar used in the movie was cream-colored, and supposedly new.

I think it's unlikely that the guitar was new, given the gold plating flaking off the pickups and the wear on the fretboard.

As an aside, what the heck is going on with that truss rod cover?

Back to the Future (1985)[23-54-32].JPG

I think it's unlikely that the guitar was new, given the gold plating flaking off the pickups and the wear on the fretboard.

As an aside, what the heck is going on with that truss rod cover?

View attachment 445077

Well "new" in that in 1955, that model guitar was new—technically so new it was an anachronism. My point is that the guitar on-screen had cream binding, and it's much easier to order a new guitar with cream binding to begin with. Even if you ordered one with white and waited 30 years it wouldn't age to cream nowadays, since the clears they currently use don't age like that. Nitrocellulose lacquer is only ever used on high-end "heritage" style repros of past guitars. The modern stuff doesn't yellow, or yellows so slowly that it would be 3015 before it reaches the correct color of amber.

Same with the pickups. I say better to order them silver to begin with than get gold and try to find some efficient way to rub all of the gold off to make them silver. You just need to make sure they still use gold screws.

The photo of Marty's family is covering the truss rod cover in that photo.

Well...all of the info you've put in this thread was already in the other thread. It would be different if it needed to be put into a new thread because of the info being scattered throughout multiple threads, or discussed as a tangenital discussion in another thread whose primary purpose wasn't BTTF guitars, but it was all in one place already, in a thread entitled "Back to the Future Guitars." Sooo....

This thread kind of gives the impression that you researched and found the bulk of the details on this guitar, and were the expert to whom folks should ask questions, when it was me, mrsmartypants, renesix, and a few others that did so in the other thread. brettyboy was the one that found the Chinese seller that makes the replica this thread focuses on. If you made a new thread so that just this one BTTF guitar (ES-345 TD) can have its own thread, and focus just on the Chinese replica, fair enough. But it goes a long way to mention that a new thread is being started even though a current one exists because of x, y, and z, and to credit any info repeated from the other thread to the folks that found and shared it, instead of just restating all of the info in your own thread like you just recently found these details yourself.

You asked for feedback...

I think I've contributed a little more than you give me credit for. I basically made a whole how to guide to get this guitar instead of just the specs of it. I can't provide links as every item besides the guitar was off ebay. And now that I've done this project an ebay seller now permanently has a more accurate pickguard pickguard to go with this guitar permanently in his files for anyone wanting to do this project.

A little note to be aware of. The white circle that should be a stock varitone plate is actually just a cheap sticker. I just put the gold plate right over it.

The included Bigsby is a fake. The letters were just a cheap gold sticker that peels off. If you want to go all out I would suggest bargaining with the seller to not include this one and reduce the price of the guitar and get a real one. Or you could get this guitar instead. The pickguard shouldn't matter since it will be replaced anyway.
Free-shipping-Real-photo-335-electric-guitar-red-electric-guitar.jpg_250x250.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/subject/1433885025.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back