HalloweenCostumes.com “Back to the Future Hoverboard”

Wouldn't you work out the top from bottom of the sheet and spray paint the bottom?

I read about people losing the 3D effect when glueing the sheet to their boards. If you had a based coat, then the glue would not be a problem. You would still want to use a gel glue and not liquid super glue.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Sommers website they state "AS SEEN ON "Back to the Future" hoverboard with pink color underlay." So the painting the bottom idea might work.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Sommers website they state "AS SEEN ON "Back to the Future" hoverboard with pink color underlay." So the painting the bottom idea might work.

The other thing I noticed was that even on my "Ikea" special, if you glued that down, you'd lose the 3D effect and that is a physical 3D shape. I used double sided tape, but even though it is a really good tape, things tend to lift up just from the temperature, and my room is fairly constant due to the insulation properties of the walls.

Adding a colour can help hide glue. I proved this on my clear MAG soles when I added a layer of white behind the clear. You don't really see the glue marks anymore.

Well apparently HalloweenCostumes is still letting me use their 20% coupon after I already used it once. So I might grab one of the HC boards to convert it to the practical effect floating version. Does anyone have any ideas what this spinning metal part could be?

EDIT: HalloweenCostumes caught the error on checkout. Oh well, I still want to do this someday.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 4.10.40 PM.png

Video at the 5:58 mark

Without bolting that rig to the board, it might be possible to make a similar working stand for the Matty Collector Boards. I really don't think much of the clear stand that those boards came with.

So, with my HC hoverboard coming out of limbo, I’m back on the hunt for a couple items.

-green Velcro
-pink Velcro

Just can’t seem to find the right shade of either color :/

I did read through the thread and saw members mentioning an eBay seller (ladesigner2012) however, I cannot seem to find them.

I thought about just buying white and dyeing to the proper color if need be but I figured I’d ask here first. Any help would be appreciated(y)

**update**
Found the goodies:)

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread w/ a bit of a story:)

Most are surprised when I say the 2nd film is my least favorite of the trilogy. However I’ll admit, it’s been growing on me the more I watch the movie.

With that being said, or rather written, I didn’t want to invest much with BTTFII props. BUT I’ve been skateboarding for about 20years now.

So far I’m have both the 2015 and 2019 version of the Madrid decks. I also made a 1955 version with accurate metal roller skates awhile back. And that’s what made me want to tackle the Hoverboard. To complete my BTTF trilogy skateboard set.

I won’t bore with blank photos of the deck w/ the stickers removed. Just wanting this to look better, not necessarily 100% accurate.

The modes so far:

New foot pad. (The circles in sharpie are leftover gunk.)
486FB9EF-CC39-497C-873C-6C413F31C97A.jpeg

Drilled the hole for the handle bars and inserted a black cap:
885695FC-E030-46EC-BC42-FBFFC11283D0.jpeg

(Again, paper just cover gunk for the time being.)

Repainted footpads w/ battery:
513C220B-C4CB-45C9-9A4A-695995037EA7.jpeg

Black/Colonial Red/Rub-n-Buf/ and Eggplant for the battery.

Should look pretty cool once put on:
01FF1F18-E3F8-471E-9AB9-6037E538ADB3.jpeg

Ill clean up the deck more then fill the holes. After that it’ll be in limbo until the other materials show up.

Stay safe out there RPFers.

Looking great. Saw your post on the Back to the Future Collectors facebook page. It's always funny to connect the dots between here, facebook, and other places. Sidenote: BTTF II has the best props!

Looking great. Saw your post on the Back to the Future Collectors facebook page. It's always funny to connect the dots between here, facebook, and other places. Sidenote: BTTF II has the best props!

lol, I do that too. I’m always saying something along the lines of “Oh! so that’s who that is, hahah.”

Thanks for the compliment. I totally agree too. Out of all three films, the 2nd movie does have the best props.

Received the pink fur material. I like the bubble gum color although it may be off from SA. Might be a tad too long also. That I can fix w/ a small trim. OverallI’m okay with it for now.

24302F37-6B01-4D49-9698-4EC5E56D6276.jpeg

Still waiting on the pink and neon green Velcro and then I’ll put everything together. Fingers crossed.

** fur bought from Etsy. Store is called FauxFurBoutique based out of Dallas, TX.**

Last edited:
Well, you all weren’t kidding when you were talk about putting in the lenticular.

after a solid 3 hours, maybe more, this is what I was able to do:

64220079-689E-4420-BA13-6375AC023A86.jpeg

lol.

this is going to be fun:rolleyes:

Hoping next week I’ll get the hook and loop material in. Stay safe out there.

After finally receiving the hook and loop material I ordered, I’ve made some slight progress:

7C667EED-7120-4D0E-B590-9C3F8650E3FF.jpeg

I swapped out the aluminum tape around the deck with some cool holographic tape I found on Amazon:

F6A76618-E252-4470-907F-1B0D8F99CDEB.jpeg

Fingers crossed in hoping I’ll be done by this weekend:)

Stay safe everyone.

Mechanized

Looks great! :) I just wonder why you put the wrong side of the lenticular on the front of the board, but the correct side on the back.

I made experiments with my clear lenticular I got from Sommers Plastics. Bought some hot pink vinyl with both sides in the same color and stuck the lenticular on the sticky side of the vinyl. And to my surprise it didn't destroy the 3-D effect. Now I just need the HC board. :D

test01.jpg

Back side:

test02.jpg

test03.jpg

Mechanized

Looks great! :) I just wonder why you put the wrong side of the lenticular on the front of the board, but the correct side on the back.

Lol. I knew someone would catch that eventually. Basically I couldn’t tell which side was which at first.

So, I pretty much started cutting and placement right away and before I knew it, I was done. But like you wrote, I did everything on the wrong side. Definitely a smack in the face moment.

Luckily I have plenty of lenticular left over to re-make the top. Which I very may well do. The “Five foot factor“ of the top looks great! Up close, not so much:confused:

Good eyes, Roland.

I’m also now thinking of using your method of sticky vinyl. That’s so cool the 3d effect is still there after placement (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back