Definitive Ant-Man 2015 Costume Thread

Regarding the upper part of the body (Torso), do you guys think this could be made with household fabric (Such as curtains, bed sheets) and foam to add some depth and details? I thought it could be made by making a jacket from the fabric, dyeing it black, and the red parts as foam. Wires could be also made from foam.
i've never done any cosplays before, so please dont get all judgemental and rough on me :D
and yes, i know, 'its all leather'. But only way for me to get leather (Before the release date) would be finding it in a form of a jacket from some trift shop.
But as a idea, would this work as a low cost cosplay?

For the black sections, I'm using Black "Costume Leather" from Joanns. It has a slight stretch to it so, that will aid mobility.

The red section I've finalized what Im using. I bought a couple yards of Red Jersey Knit fabric. I will be Screen Printing dark, dark red Puff Paint onto a screen mesh pattern for the textile effect. I don't have the funds to use Rubber like they most likely used.

The tubing part will be the hardest. I created a vacuum chamber to suck up silver puff paint up into a clear vinyl tube. I'll cut it to length then glue them to the suit with Freesole glue. The glue wont get here until July 11th so, I'm going to be cutting it REALLY close.

Btw, those reference shots are absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing them!

It works just fine buddy. This is awesome. WIll you be using capillary film to raise it higher?

I'll be pushing dark red puff paint through a screen mesh with this pattern on it. I'll post progress/process pics. I saw another member do this for his Man of Steel costume and it looked awesome.

Im going to mix Tulip's "Red" with their Metallic Black puff paints.

Right now, I need a sheet of glass for weight. Heading to Lowes!

I got my Screen Mesh Frame and Emulsion from Screenprinting.com.

Please, please, please, do not try to be cheap like I did. lol

Get it printed professionally (unless your printer is awesome,) buy an Emulsion"trough" and deal with the price.
View attachment 499680View attachment 499679

I used 2, 8.5" x 11" sheets of transparency paper and lined them up perfectly. However, because the sheets overlapped even just 1/8th of an inch, I still had a line.

This will have to do for now because I'm running out of time and I forgot to buy Emulsion cleaner.

All I could get. Sorry. :(

uploadfromtaptalk1436576366006.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436576380949.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436576391622.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436576403016.jpg

Hey All,

at SDCC this year i was able to get on stage and take a full 360, close up, shots of the suit on display in the exhibit hall. I will post pictures once i get back to my home computer. Stay tuned.

Nice shots letownse. Geez, that shirt and pants look impossibly complex.

It's like the Marvel costumers are out to kill us! Take THAT, RPF cosplayers! :lol

2.jpg6.jpg

Running out of time so I didnt have a chance to reprint the pattern better. But I think it works ok. I used Metallic Black and Red Tulip puff paints. They were mixed until a metallic brick red was achieved, then squeegeed through the mesh.

Im definitely going to try Silicone Rubber next time. Puff paint is great, but it isn't raised like rubber may be.

I also ran out of time to make the sides and arms ribbed. Just the knees. Then I realized that the knee section is supposed to be the "top layer" after I finished sewing it all together. I'll fix that after the movie. Still a lot to finish.

View attachment 501421View attachment 501422

Running out of time so I didnt have a chance to reprint the pattern better. But I think it works ok. I used Metallic Black and Red Tulip puff paints. They were mixed until a metallic brick red was achieved, then squeegeed through the mesh.

Im definitely going to try Silicone Rubber next time. Puff paint is great, but it isn't raised like rubber may be.

I also ran out of time to make the sides and arms ribbed. Just the knees. Then I realized that the knee section is supposed to be the "top layer" after I finished sewing it all together. I'll fix that after the movie. Still a lot to finish.

That is boss! I'm going to attempt this myself using some high density inks but man you've inspired me to try using other methods. I look forward to your progress.

View attachment 501421View attachment 501422

that looks great! better then anything I've seen so far for sure

I was looking at the out of costume costume I know his backpack is an Oakley Icon 3.0 but I was wondering if anyone has been able to identify the "Ant Controller" earpiece when I first saw it I figured it was probably some sort of Bluetooth earpiece the only thing that seemed slightly off was the lack of a mic boom arm and the fact that the part that extended into the ear canal was clear

Still a lot of work to do. (lights and such) But screen printing was definitely the way to go! I cannot wait to try printing Silicone Rubber.

-My family has Asthma and we had a bunch of Jet Neb tubing lying around. I vacuumed Silver Puff Paint through the tubes to make them silver. Worked out quite nicely.

1236456789.jpg

Ok, I'm a little confused. I see the zipper flap on the front of the pants, but I can't see an opening on the top. Is this a one or two piece? If one piece, is the zipper covered by the tubes? Would that make the gray part up top a "bib" that attaches over the top? If it's a two piece, is the zipper in the back of the jacket?

Wes

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back