image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgClay arrived for my clay beds and I tested my vacuum former with the inferior heat source I had on hand, I'm fairly confident all things should work once I have a proper heating element

I love Twitter! Stiles white, who was the production coordinator for small soldiers, over saw everything from the film from concept to final production including all the work done by Stan Winston studios. He followed me on Twitter and sent me a direct message in reguards to my small soldiers figures ( notice he said small soldiers not just gorgonites) long story short he's going to look through his archives to see what he can provide in terms of reference. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg Look what came in the mail today! It's not an original but it is a duplicate from a screen used gorgonite. It's not the clearest in terms of details but it definitely allows me to get an idea for scale. I'll just use this one as references for my sculpted emblem

Finally got a chance to sit and mold ocula'a leg. I went ahead and only molded one leg and foot and just cast 3 copies since they all fit each leg hole ( saves me a bit of silicone) I'm going to be adding details to the emblem a bit foe definition. Still have things to refine not to mention slamfist and punch it's height & bulk up. In the mean time Here are my progress shots image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Looks promising! :)

Thanks, if all goes well I should have the mold for ocula's body in a couple days, making those clay beds nice an clean is such a time consuming thing but it pays off seeing as the legs had little to no excess flashing. I've got to aquire a decent airbrush to do the paint job justice. I hope to have more updates soon. After ocula's mold is complete I'll be finishing scratch it's teeth and add his final details ( warts and muscle lines) then he'll me up next for molding since he's so small it will be done in no time. I'm talking to someone who owns an archer, slamfist and insaniac stunt prop, hopefully as time goes ge wouldn't mind taking some nice hi res shots and detailed measurements for me to accurately tweak my base sculpts. I've got my fingers crossed :)

Beautiful work! Nice to see them coming along. Really looking forward to the end result.
Thankyou :) I finished the mold for the body and I'll be casting the first test to assemble and see what adjustments I may need to get nice clean casts. I'm slowly working on adding size to slamfist after reviewing the 60+ behind the scenes photos of slamfist from concept to finished character that stan Winston schools posted to their facebook page a few days ago, I've got plenty of reference now. I hope they plan on showing all the characters in this manner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 262
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Some assembly required XD gotta drill some peg holes to attach the legs to the body and some cleanup work and ocula will be ready for paint (and false eyelashes) I cleaned up the emblem to better see the details but still needs refining.

That looks fantastic! I envy you for your progress... Made two resin casts from my Kip molds, and they are so full of bubbles... I could cry, really. Bought a vacuum chamber and put the two TASK 2 components in it to degass and thereafter the mixture again... but when I pour the resin into the mold, it's full of bubbles again... maybe the filling hole is to small, I don't know... put the mold with the resin inside into the vacuum chamber again too, but the only thing that happens is that it bubbles out like crazy and then part of the resin is on top of the mold outside the mold. And the inside is still full of bubbles... So much for making casts... My boy will not like that, I'm afraid, and I can't let him play with the foam original, either... Suck, really... What resin do you use? Do you have a vacuum chamber or how do you deal with the bubbles?

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks fantastic! I envy you for your progress... Made two resin casts from my Kip molds, and they are so full of bubbles... I could cry, really. Bought a vacuum chamber and put the two TASK 2 components in it to degass and thereafter the mixture again... but when I pour the resin into the mold, it's full of bubbles again... maybe the filling hole is to small, I don't know... put the mold with the resin inside into the vacuum chamber again too, but the only thing that happens is that it bubbles out like crazy and then part of the resin is on top of the mold outside the mold. And the inside is still full of bubbles... So much for making casts... My boy will not like that, I'm afraid, and I can't let him play with the foam original, either... Suck, really... What resin do you use? Do you have a vacuum chamber or how do you deal with the bubbles?
i think I can help you for sure, I don't have a vacuum chamber my only work around for that is to pour half of the amount into the mold and rotate the mold then pour the rest and rotate the mold again then just let it sit and you should get rid of 99% of bubbles. I use the smooth cast 300 with a 10 min cure time. If I lived close to you I could show you in person but distance is too great but I'm confident that if you rotate your molds after pouring half and then pouring the other half and also rotate it after pouring the rest you should be all good. I know usually you put the resin in the vacuum chamber after mixing the 2 parts( not sure if degassing both parts, mixing and then degassing again is actually introducing more air into the mix) also I thnk that putting the molds in the vacuum may be doing the opposite of your intent, what you need to do is add positive pressure to the filled molds, and the vacuum is pulling negative pressure instead of the positive pressure that you need to force most of the surface bibles into the center of the casts. Give it another shot but this time only degass the resin after thoroughly mixing parts A and B and then fill the molds as I described above rotate & fill the rest ( don't fear a little overfill of resin) and I think you'll See a great improvement in your casts. I hope I've been of some help & keep in mind that you have to learn the do's and don't (if you will) of each mold we make in order the get the best results. Let me know how things go cause I'm extremely excited to see a nice clean kip cast. Don't fret and don't be deterred because in the end you are going to produce awesome work my friend

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg I need to modify the foot mold to eliminate the small amount of bubbles but other than that I think I've got the molds figured out

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back