Been watching this with interest. Looking forward to seeing what you get done on the detailing. If you would like any tips or pointers at that stage for tweaks then let us know. :)

Been watching this with interest. Looking forward to seeing what you get done on the detailing. If you would like any tips or pointers at that stage for tweaks then let us know. :)

I'm happy to hear that :) I'll be at that point soon and welcome any and all advice/input for sure.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgA few shots of troglokhan's legs. Just have to rough out his and archer's hands, one of punch it's shields as well as troglokhans, then all the gorgonites will be officially roughed out and I can really get down to business :)

image.jpgOcula has all legs and feet, now to map the wrinkles and start the fun part. I'll try to rough out slamfist's Boulder fist and arm a bit as well. I've been avoiding troglokhan and archer's hands but maybe I'll hammer those out as well. I have you find a nice way to make the 12 links of chain for troglokhan's neck (6 chain links) and wrist (6 chain links) shackles.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere's a few shots of troglokhan, have to buff up his arms and thighs a bit. He looks greatly disproportioned but that mainly cause the angle, up close and personal it looks quite nice. Still getting awesome remarks from people involved in the film :)

image.jpgimage.jpg Managed to get a hold of a nice size sheet of polystyrene for the front of the box, now to build the angled blank and a vacuum former to start making this box prototype comes together. Adam rifkin and Stan Winston schools have been paying close attention to my progress, I've got to admit it feels awesome to get such recognition. I've been contemplating roughing out my own commandos but that will require quite a bit more clay about 25lbs to be exact. I'll just focus on finishing my gorgonites and molding each then I can worry about casting. After that I'll probably start work on some commandos, maybe this coming summer. Only time will tell but I know I definitely want to own my own collection of both teams for sure

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpg I noticed today that the back of troglokhan's broken box has archers character art, I'm guessing it was a production shortcut, what do you guys think?

My thoughts exactly!!! Thing is that the background of the Commando boxes you don't see either. That means they could also just show Chip again... Since Link and Nick show the same character on the front of the boxes as on the cardboard standees, one would not know what is on the back anyway... For Butch, Chip, Brick and Kip its different...

By the way, I don't want to sound too nerdy, but there are two boxes on the left pic with Archer on the back... Archer's box was not in the store anymore, however since Allan took Archer in the box out of the store and home in the backpack, right? So that gives even more reason to believe that all the Gorgonites had Archer in the back...

On the other thread with the boxes, you can actually see that they even had two different backgrounds for the Archer box... (http://www.therpf.com/f9/small-soldiers-chip-hazard-archer-66912/) bit strange, but hey, that leaves you with more "artistic freedom", right? ;-)

That's slamfist's box in the left pic. It would be a lot simpler to do both the chip and archer full body character art and use those on each ones boxes since the film suggest, I would like to do all their individual pictures for each ones box but I guess I could get away with both. If I can get a hold of clear images that were used in for the cardboard standees (I'm sure exist somewhere ) I'd definitely make each their own but without that there is not much I can do really. What I have to figure out (hopefully with your guys help) is what each character both commando and gorgonite what their little txt say above the "lifelong lithium proved battery" slamfist says "with super action granite mallet" and troglokhan says something along the lines of "kinetic barbarian club". I seen the thread discussing the 2 different archer back box art and I think it's easier to go with the mountains, forest and river because 1 it's seen as a concept art in the beginning of the film when they were pitching the gorgonites in the toy meeting, and 2 because I feel it's easier to recreate than the fiery volcanoes but that's just the way I see it. The only thing good about these originals no longer exist so there is plenty room for "artistic freedom" but truth be told, I want to produce something, both with my sculpts and the box itself, that someone who looked at it would think it was produced properly.

Startied making my little vacuum former, gotta graph and drill holes and tidy up everything a bit then figure out how I'm going to do the heat source. Don't mind the dirty basement lol image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg A bit if scrap wood, a shop vac, and a sheet of polystyrene now I have a useful vacuum former. The suction works great now I have to tinker away and find out how to evenly geat the polystyrene sheet and make the buck ( forming model ) for the front of commandos and gorgonites boxes. Pretty soon I'll have a nice prototype box ready to tweak. I haven't done much in the way of sculpting aside from fixing slamfist's posture, he used to have a hump back with hanging shoulders but in the film it reverse, a sunk in neck/back hump with his shoulders raised. It looks much better now. I really want to start focusing on all their facial details so I can mold all their heads in one go and then I'll finish detailing the torsos for them to be molded after and the limbs will be last. I still have plenty of time to get the funds together and to purchase a gallon unit of smooth on'a smooth cast 300 liquid resin.

Ordered a gallon unit of smooth cast 300 liquid plastic resin yesterday so Ill be able to pull cast immediately after the first mold is made. Ocula will be the first but I have a few things to fix on him including his emblam on his back. I'm still thinking I can mold just one of the legs and feet and pull 3 casts from the one mold. If that doesn't work I'll figure something but in the mean time I'll just focus on the little details

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I love these living toys !!! Great work !!!

I'm glad you like my sculpts. Can't wait to get these guys finished its gonna be awesome to see them fully painted. Also i have to get back to work on the boxes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back