He's holding a knife. You can see the original on the following photo:
Heads and weapons 1.jpg

I'll give you some inputs regarding Butch concerning head, bulk and posture of the arm on the left. I'm actually not sure whether or not he's just holding his left fist closed like he's really determined or something...

Awesome. I wish I could see the bottom. Any input is welcomed to reach a nice final product. Adam rifkin seems to really be into my archer progress, he retweeted my progress shots with a message of "wow!" It's cool that he is paying attention, maybe they'll take notice of what we're doing and throw us a bone :) I can always dream

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Here's a bit of troglokhan more roughed out. I still have loads left but I really want to fix his chin have it protruding. Finishing the rough will make all their torso's and head. I'll have to start working on my gorgonites bix art and layouts pretty soon.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgMore roughed out parts for punch it. He's not standing at the right angle and I have to add a bit more clay to close the clearance between his legs and the base but all that will be adjusted as I go. Looks like I'm going to need another 7-10 lbs of clay to get all their parts roughed out. As usual I'll keep you all posted.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Constant retweets and favorites from Adam Rifkin and a follow from Stan Winston schools, I'd say these last 3 weeks have been pretty awesome to say the least. All this positive feedback just makes me want to finish these sculpts that much more :)

Today was a bit of a let down. The clay I ordered got lost in transit and I'm not sure if it will be replaced :/ also I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the digital illustrations. I am playing with their base colors but all their lineart needs to be done over but I'll post them anyway image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpgI got an email response from David Monzingo the original sculptor of scratch it from the film. Sadly he didn't have much to offer in form of references but he did give me a few words of encouragement that really helps my self confidence moving forward. The email read "
Good Morning J.R,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I have been very busy this past week or so.

I'm very glad that you and your kids are so entertained by Small Soldiers, it was a very fun project to work on and I'm very proud of the work that we did at Stan Winston Studio.

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of photos of the work I did beyond what is already posted on my website.

I sculpted the Scratch It character, both the oversized maquette and the actual size puppet, which was VERY SMALL. On my website I have photos of me sculpting both of those which can help you get a sense of the scale for both, but I doubt any actual measurements exist. (This was the days before 3D modeling, so everything was done by hand.)

I know that the Winston family took possession of everything that was done during those years and if the Stan Winston School does not have photos or molds, I don't have any idea who would.

I'm sorry I'm not more help to you, but I should say that your sculptures look great! You've got so much of the characters captured in your sculpts... keep it up!

Best of luck to you and I hope that your kids realize how lucky they are to have a dad who goes to that much work for them!

Best wishes, DM "

Pretty cool to get such an awesome response. im still trying to get in contact with te other sculptors but I'm having a hard time locating emails and the rest of the names of each sculptor. So far I know of these Ian Stevenson (punch it) David monzingo (scratch it) Jim charmatz (slamfist) John rosengrant (chip & kip) Joey Orosco (archer & troglokhan) and mark jurinko (link) I'm not sure of the others that may have been sculpted by these guys but so far I've gotten in touch with David monzingo and I've reached out to Joey orosco via email, still waiting a response. If anyone know the names of the other sculptors or even the characters that these sculptors may have worked on feel free to let me know. Also if by chance any of you know of any of their emails or Twitter and can't pass them on so that I may have an opportunity to get in contact with them Id really appreciate it. In the mean time I have a lot of work ahead of me, I managed to aquire some more clay but forgot to pick up the alluminum foil filler :/

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere is scratch it with his legs roughed out, next I'll work on slamfist after that it's be insaniac and finally troglokhan then it'll be into detail work

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgStarted playing with the gorgonites character art. Very rough sketches for archer, troglokhan (which needs loads of details & a face), slamfist, punch it & scratch it. Gotta figure out the pose for ocula and insaniac

Just played with the box dimensions, still have to alter the template but in time it will get there. I also received my silicone of choice but unfortunately could not get any resin but it's fine since I do have to finish all the sculpts but if I manage to get a hold of some resin then I'll at least finish all the heads and mold those to start. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Makin progress on ocula, trying to get the legs and feet roughed out. I know I technic don't need to sculpt all 3 legs but I doing it for presentation. Once I'm ready to mold I'll only be molding one leg & foot then I'll just pull 3 casts from the one mold. Next I'll rough out insaniacs limbs. I was supposed to rough out slamfist but I tend to get sidetracked in the process XD

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Just thought I let you all see more into my process. Not the prettiest but the end result looks way better :) one more leg and foot for ocula and I still have to cover slamfist's left leg form segments in clay. Once that's is done I'll finally rough out troglokhan's limbs then it'll be on to the daunting task of detailing each character. I cannot wait to get my hands on a gallon unit of smooth cast 300 so once I start the molding process (most likely ocula will be first) the casting process won't be far behind :)

Finally figured out what butch is holding in his left hand on the box art. i should be able to finish roughing out troglokhan a limbs and that will brink all the gorgonites completely roughed out and then onto the detailing image.jpgimage.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back