Show your custom Lightsabers!

Loving both-- especially the light. And not just cause I got to see it in person. That's one of the top 5 in this thread. I'm starting to love the Minicam as much as the Y.

^Thanks for the compliments, everybody.

Loving both-- especially the light. And not just cause I got to see it in person. That's one of the top 5 in this thread. I'm starting to love the Minicam as much as the Y.

Aw, thanks. You know, that could be a fun idea: people listing their top five builds from this thread. We've got so many to choose from by now.

stubby.jpg

Here's how you know you have a problem...

When you make a custom hand-severing gag stunt saber out of junk parts...

But seriously folks...

Writer's strike is nigh, I got a new worktable, saber season is about to begin!

workshop.jpg

Top left are four old sabers I want to refresh, below those, 5 flash handles I've yet to plan out. Box one is full of HD parts, screws, clamp bubbles and cut cards, various chunks meant for emitters. Smaller boxes are all my greeblies from stripping down flashes and the extra gear you end up with buying scrap flashes. Above the boxes on the left-- end caps, on the right, various scraps that can be used as body extensions. Middle of the table, bottom, three flashes I'm currently trying to plan, all of them refreshes. Above to the left, emitters and shrouds. To the right, clamps and bands. Right side of the table, four flashes that have their plans settled and ready for assembly work.

Bin 1: uncut PCB material and some pieces needing to be disassembled.
Bin 2: Extra leftover flash parts
Bin 3: Grip material, t-tracka, rubber, metal strips, etc.
Bin 4: seen on bottom shelf-- junk scrap flash parts.

... You know, that could be a fun idea: people listing their top five builds from this thread. We've got so many to choose from by now.

I'll bite...

WARNING
: The following contains egregious amounts of self-indulgence and ego gratification

1: Sorry, gang, there's a lot of good customs here but none's won me over more than my own KotOR inspired build I posted originally back on page 20.

2: @Kylash did a custom vintage flashlight-based build some time back (here) that looks like it jumped straight from the McQuarrie paintings, filtered through the production aesthetic of ANH. Absolutely love this piece.

3: @AnubisGuard original model Y Canon back on page 19, or the "Progenitor", as I call it. This I think was the first that spurred the rest of us to shoot the value of the Canon's up. The one @Scott D did following this, I actually like just a bit more aesthetically because of how stripped down and robust it looks with his "patented" bare metal stock grips, and @thd9791 is up there too, but Anubis gets the cake for being the first to start this whole mess.;)

4: My revised Busch-saber. I actually keep this relatively close when the urge to pick it up and swing it around going "Swrooom" "Vrrrooom" kicks in.

5: My Graflite challenge entry, The Graf-Staff. Also fun to pick up and swing around from time to time.

Again, there are plenty of great builds here...I just happen to like my stuff the most.:p

Last edited:
With the caveat that SethS's Busch-shrouded Ikon build would be in here if he ever finished the darn thing, my top 5 sabers from the thread so far:

5.) StewYZF750's simple but beautiful saltwater-etched Imperial saber. It's straightforward, clean, and very creative. It's the only saber built out of nothing but some aluminum tubing that I've liked.

21349483466_6a057be8f8_o.jpg

4.) SolosHold leather-wrapped psudo-Graflex. It's rare that I find a saber that combines Obi-Wan style influences along with camera flash-inspired influences that actually works, but here it does. I liked it so much that it influenced an upcoming build of mine.

skx 2.jpg

3.) @ScottD produced this wonderful, beat-to-hell demon saber for the "Graflite Challenge." I love it.

IMG_20160218_180206502_zps9ciekxdd.jpg

2.) This one inspired the 3D printed Minicam extension part SethS has used so often. It's BobasBounty's aluminum saber he built for his son. A variation on the classic Vader ANH look, it's still one of my favorites. Minimal, clean, precise, it looks like the kind of saber we should have seen during the prequels but didn't.

image.jpeg

And my all-time favorite is...

1.) D48thRonin's De Mornay-Budd conversion. Wow. What else is there to say? A minimal build using just some t-track and a bead-blasted Heiland stubby shroud created what is, in my mind, the most striking saber in this entire thread. It's a classic that would have fit right in in the original trilogy if there had been a character to wield it. I love this design so much that if I ever get my hands on a De Mornay-Budd, I plan to make an exact replica of it.

DeMornay saber02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That DMB is one of the three that got me building customs, man. Simple & perfect.

The other two are Marshall's Canon and Scott's PeakSabers.

There's a ton of amazing work on here since, of course, but those are the ones that made me go "dang, I wanna play."

Seriously?

I dunno, man... there's a lot of neat stuff in this thread. But thank you - I do appreciate it.

@ScottD has consistently produced some amazing pieces here.

Lots of good work here though, a favorite thread.

That DMB is one of the three that got me building customs, man. Simple & perfect.

The other two are Marshall's Canon and Scott's PeakSabers.

There's a ton of amazing work on here since, of course, but those are the ones that made me go "dang, I wanna play."
Well thanks - I'm glad you dig it. It's always gratifying when you can inspire others in some small way.

You guys with your Canon Xs and Ys are really making me wanna play too - I already have so many things on my "to do" list and it's really not helping :lol

With the caveat that @SethS's Busch-shrouded Ikon build would be in here if he ever finished the darn thing, my top 5 sabers from the thread so far:

All right all right, you bully!

Picking a top 5 is REALLY hard... but these are the ones that finally pulled me out of being a lurker. In no particular order...

top5_A.jpg
@D48thRonin and his DMB... agreed with what everyone else has said. Classic yet knew, undeniably Star Wars and fully unique.

top5_B.jpg
@AnubisGuard has hooked me with a couple. His Canon was definitely the one that got us all worked up and is one of the best, but I actually think his first Minicam was crazy cool and inspiring. (Obviously, since I've used his 3D part on multiple builds)

top5_C.jpg
@Kylash did the first Ikon Ziess saber and I was OBSESSED. It might be my favorite. It's so cool its one reason I've been such a chicken about working on mine.

top5_D.jpg
PoopaPapaPalps is lauded for his Busch saber (deservedly) but I actually LOVE this evil looking Kalart to death. I did one as well, but ended up being unpleased with it (hence it being stripped back down on the table in my workshop table post. I love this one cause it tells a very clear story. An the black and yellow combo is awesome.

And obviously, it's next to impossible to pick a favorite from @Scott D...
IMG_20160118_175750058_HDR_zpsdotsttov.jpg

...dude is a wizard. But I have to agree on the Graflite of doom...

top5_E.jpg

And I can't not mention a couple more...

top5_F.jpg

@Panaflex and his black ops stealth Sith saber

And I can't find a picture of it, but the Canon X/Y that @veektohr made with the KalArt emitter is one of the most clever multi-part builds that I've seen.

Attachments

• top5_A.jpg
    top5_A.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 64
  • top5_C.jpg
    top5_C.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 73
  • top5_B.jpg
    top5_B.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 70
  • top5_D.jpg
    top5_D.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20160118_175750058_HDR_zpsdotsttov.jpg
    IMG_20160118_175750058_HDR_zpsdotsttov.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 68
  • top5_F.jpg
    top5_F.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 71
  • top5_E.jpg
    top5_E.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
All right all right, you bully!

Picking a top 5 is REALLY hard... but these are the ones that finally pulled me out of being a lurker. In no particular order...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_A.jpg @D48thRonin and his DMB... agreed with what everyone else has said. Classic yet knew, undeniably Star Wars and fully unique.

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_B.jpg @AnubisGuard has hooked me with a couple. His Canon was definitely the one that got us all worked up and is one of the best, but I actually think his first Minicam was crazy cool and inspiring. (Obviously, since I've used his 3D part on multiple builds)

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_C.jpg @Kylash did the first Ikon Ziess saber and I was OBSESSED. It might be my favorite. It's so cool its one reason I've been such a chicken about working on mine.

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_D.jpg @poopaPoppaPalps is lauded for his Busch saber (deservedly) but I actually LOVE this evil looking Kalart to death. I did one as well, but ended up being unpleased with it (hence it being stripped back down on the table in my workshop table post. I love this one cause it tells a very clear story. An the black and yellow combo is awesome.

And obviously, it's next to impossible to pick a favorite from @Scott D...
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...on/IMG_20160118_175750058_HDR_zpsdotsttov.jpg

...dude is a wizard. But I have to agree on the Graflite of doom...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_E.jpg

And I can't not mention a couple more...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_F.jpg @Panaflex and his black ops stealth Sith saber

And I can't find a picture of it, but the Canon X/Y that @veektohr made with the KalArt emitter is one of the most clever multi-part builds that I've seen.
SethS, Thanks for the mention, it's an honor. Couldn't have pulled that build off without veektohr!

Yeah the Graflite of Doom is a show stopper in my book.

IMG_0366.JPG
AnubisGuard, Your Canon also stands out in my opinion as an A lister for OT Vibe.

IMG_0367.JPG

First of all, major kudos to AnubisGuard for being the pathfinder on the Canon flash - they totally fit the bill for flash-based sabers (which is what I am also fond of). But also curses to AnubisGuard for making me want one so badly :lol :darnkids

For me personally, it doesn't get any better than Scott D's builds. Yeah, it's really hard to single one out, but I think my fave is his Canon Y - it's super-clean and just perfect (and again, because I really want one!)

IMG_20160115_213302380_zpss7jodp2a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160115_213302380_zpss7jodp2a.jpg
    IMG_20160115_213302380_zpss7jodp2a.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 51
Big thanks to everyone for the compliments. If you guys are trying to inspire me to come out of semi-retirement, I assure you it is helpful. :thumbsup

I'm dealing with a few issues around the house/property (storm damage) and some other things, but I'm hoping to start tinkering in the workshop again soon. Maybe this summer.

I finally got around to finishing up this saber. It's made up of a vintage flashlight, Canon Y, vintage gear, clamps from a Heiland/King Sol, 1.5" Tube, and a hard drive. It's all connected and sitting on a threaded rod.

1IMG_3087.JPG

2IMG_3088.JPG
OTWeapons.jpg

P.S. I feel like a 70 year old asking this, but can anyone tell me how to make my pictures show up larger like some of the other posts?

Attachments

• 1IMG_3087.JPG
    1IMG_3087.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 1IMG_3087_zpsoth1dkbt.jpg
    1IMG_3087_zpsoth1dkbt.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back