Subscribe
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Apr 15, 2018, 12:51 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2127

Yes, that came out looking really cool! Nice work, man!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
  2. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Apr 24, 2018, 6:07 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2128

Hi all....this is from the I can't leave well enough alone category. I got a little bored with the aluminum and black look of my saber so I added a peice of copper. I think it sets it off nice...thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180424_190331.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	812667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180424_190353.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	812668
    Last edited by propmainiac; 4 Weeks Ago at 6:13 PM.
  3. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    4 Weeks Ago  Apr 25, 2018, 4:30 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2129

propmainiac said: View Post
    Hi all....this is from the I can't leave well enough alone category. I got a little bored with the aluminum and black look of my saber so I added a peice of copper. I think it sets it off nice...thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180424_190331.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	812667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180424_190353.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	812668
    much better
    From
    Brussels
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 11:25 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2130

Hey,
    here is my first personal design custom lightsaber, I wanted to show it there because I remember when I first arrived to this wonderful board and read the 70ish pages at the time and that was really inspirering.
    thanks guys for your creativity and for sharing!

here we go, based on a Mamiya-Koki flash, I haven't seen a lot used there I think. took me quite a while to figure out what I could do with it.
    before:

after, with all vintage parts from a canon Y, a Heiland and other small found bits:

I wanted some kind of igniter thing at the top, like the lightsaber is throwing plasma and something is igniting it to have what we see on screen. so, it's a bit special and I don't know if you guys will like it.
    also, it's obviously a bit short and there are no grips or anything yet, I wanting on your opinions on that but my girlfriend liked it like that because of the simplicity of the bottom and the shinny appearance and kind of forbid me to do more on it

cheers guys
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 11:32 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2131

I really like this - weird flash, never seen that before! I recognize the Canon flash reflector bit up top too
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 11:43 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2132

I just got one of these flashes too! Cool!
  7. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 5:25 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2133

I love the igniter at the the top, but I hate all these large knobs and buttons sticking out of it. I'd keep two of the buttons but shorten them to sit flush with the body, and either chop the stalk off the Heiland(?) knob and have that sit flush or replace it with a screw or bolt.

I think the bottom is a bit plain, though I really like the clip thing on the side. Maybe a pommel of some kind?
    From
    Brussels
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 2:12 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2134

thanks for the comments and opinions guys.
    I know the buttons are a bit much, it was kind of an assumed choice but I will do some photoshop testing tonight and post them. I already did a test for the grips that I really like but the girlfriend doesn't
    cheers
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 9:31 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2135

You could keep that one as a shoto and make a larger standard size version with grips as a companion (think Ahsoka). Then both of you will be happy and you'll have an awesome set
    Last edited by E Williams; 1 Week Ago at 2:41 PM. Reason: spelling
  10. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    3 Days Ago  May 19, 2018, 7:41 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2136

I just can't quit this thread...

Here are three sabers I've recently finished tinkering with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7128.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	818165

The first on the left is the one I mention some time earlier in the thread having rebuilt. It's a revision of the "prequel-y" lightsaber from my first post here on page 20, or something. I was never happy with the original construction because it really lacked a clear direction. This iteration is closer to what I really want, give or take some exceptions. Scrapping all the bits I didn't like and just working on figuring out what can be done with just the bare bones was the way to go for this. It's built on a simple sink tube (wanted to make it out of mostly store-bought parts) with lots of plastic, washers, and left-over bits and bobs from my camera parts box.

Name:	IMG_7129.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	818166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7135.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	818168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7134.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	818167

The one in the middle was built with some inspiration drawn from the many assorted and varied lightsabers our @SethS has built. In particular, one he built with a Universal Speedgun flash. I was really drawn by the oblong "shroud" piece and many thanks to Seth for keeping an eye out on the 'Bay for me if one of these ever popped up.

The idea I was hooked by was to use that shroud piece as a starting point to build a katana inspired hilt; curved hilt with some kind of wrapping to make a diamond pattern. But then I ran across an image from one of the new cartoon series, while waiting for the flashgun to arrive and looking for inspiration, and realized just how lame an idea that was. I still wanted something reminiscent of the katana, but anything so on-the-nose like what I saw is not the way to go.

When I got the flashgun in hand, I just went from there and tinkered with it as I went. As it progressed, it became more of a challenge for me to do something I hadn't done before, or something I hadn't done yet. Some designs popped up here with leather wrapping, and as much as I don't like leather on my lightsabers, it was something I hadn't done. The same goes for a brass "activation plate." This build was turning into an ensemble of things I typically don't like.

Leather irks me for two reasons: 1) It is so closely tied with the evolution of humans that's it's hard for it not to read "Earth Human" to me, 2) There's no hiding how it it was put together. The brass plates on the Luke Hero and V3 bug me because it just looks so... cheap. But, as it was, I did my best despite my grimaces to achieve my katana-inspired-but-still-OT vision.

...And it still bothers me. I think what I did perfectly illustrates what I don't like about it, trying to incorporate the two ways I see leather applied to customs, and my awful stitching and gluing (leather and CA glue work beautifully, by the way) really don't help. I tried to hide the stitching where I could and break up the seams so there isn't a big "notice me" parting line on the wrapped bottom half.

Its got its share of problems, but not enough for me to bother fixing them. The emitter area, however, I am quite pleased with.

Name:	IMG_7137.JPG 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	818169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7139.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	818170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7142.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	818172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7141.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	818171

Not much to say on the final piece to the right. It was just something I threw together with literal scraps. Mostly pieces from sink tubes, a really small flash unit I had lying around, and some copper tubing for my BMF model.

Name:	IMG_7145.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	818175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7144.JPG 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	818174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7143.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	818173
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; 3 Days Ago at 11:07 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  May 19, 2018, 10:14 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2137

These are amazing!!
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  May 20, 2018, 11:57 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2138

I've been on a show for the last 3 months so I haven't posted in here much, but in the tiny bits of spare time I've been cobbling parts. I've refreshed half of what I've done before, and have half a done new ones near completion.

I'll return with a vengeance to this thread soon!

From
    Chicago
    2 Days Ago  May 20, 2018, 8:48 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2139

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I just can't quit this thread...

Here are three sabers I've recently finished tinkering with.

Name:	IMG_7128.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	818165

The first on the left is the one I mention some time earlier in the thread having rebuilt. It's a revision of the "prequel-y" lightsaber from my first post here on page 20, or something. I was never happy with the original construction because it really lacked a clear direction. This iteration is closer to what I really want, give or take some exceptions. Scrapping all the bits I didn't like and just working on figuring out what can be done with just the bare bones was the way to go for this. It's built on a simple sink tube (wanted to make it out of mostly store-bought parts) with lots of plastic, washers, and left-over bits and bobs from my camera parts box.

Name:	IMG_7129.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	818166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7135.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	818168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7134.JPG 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	818167

The one in the middle was built with some inspiration drawn from the many assorted and varied lightsabers our @SethS has built. In particular, one he built with a Universal Speedgun flash. I was really drawn by the oblong "shroud" piece and many thanks to Seth for keeping an eye out on the 'Bay for me if one of these ever popped up.

The idea I was hooked by was to use that shroud piece as a starting point to build a katana inspired hilt; curved hilt with some kind of wrapping to make a diamond pattern. But then I ran across an image from one of the new cartoon series, while waiting for the flashgun to arrive and looking for inspiration, and realized just how lame an idea that was. I still wanted something reminiscent of the katana, but anything so on-the-nose like what I saw is not the way to go.

When I got the flashgun in hand, I just went from there and tinkered with it as I went. As it progressed, it became more of a challenge for me to do something I hadn't done before, or something I hadn't done yet. Some designs popped up here with leather wrapping, and as much as I don't like leather on my lightsabers, it was something I hadn't done. The same goes for a brass "activation plate." This build was turning into an ensemble of things I typically don't like.

Leather irks me for two reasons: 1) It is so closely tied with the evolution of humans that's it's hard for it not to read "Earth Human" to me, 2) There's no hiding how it it was put together. The brass plates on the Luke Hero and V3 bug me because it just looks so... cheap. But, as it was, I did my best despite my grimaces to achieve my katana-inspired-but-still-OT vision.

...And it still bothers me. I think what I did perfectly illustrates what I don't like about it, trying to incorporate the two ways I see leather applied to customs, and my awful stitching and gluing (leather and CA glue work beautifully, by the way) really don't help. I tried to hide the stitching where I could and break up the seams so there isn't a big "notice me" parting line on the wrapped bottom half.

Its got its share of problems, but not enough for me to bother fixing them. The emitter area, however, I am quite pleased with.

Name:	IMG_7137.JPG 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	818169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7139.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	818170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7142.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	818172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7141.JPG 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	818171

Not much to say on the final piece to the right. It was just something I threw together with literal scraps. Mostly pieces from sink tubes, a really small flash unit I had lying around, and some copper tubing for my BMF model.

Name:	IMG_7145.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	818175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7144.JPG 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	818174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7143.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	818173
    That PT inspired saber is amazing! A perfect mix of elegance and ruggedness.
  14. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    2 Days Ago  May 20, 2018, 9:19 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2140

Thanks! I'm glad that came across!
    @SethS where'd you get those saber stands?
    From
    Los Angeles
    2 Days Ago  May 21, 2018, 9:58 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #2141

Some dude on etsy-- I don't have hus name handy, but he wasnt hard to find.