Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 2, 2017, 10:43 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1701

Loving both-- especially the light. And not just cause I got to see it in person. That's one of the top 5 in this thread. I'm starting to love the Minicam as much as the Y.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Apr 4, 2017, 10:47 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1702

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I love the light-saber as is. The bare silver with hint of brass accenting is really quite elegant!
    The more I look at it, the more I agree with you!
    Apr 8, 2017, 1:59 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1703

^Thanks for the compliments, everybody.

SethS said: View Post
    Loving both-- especially the light. And not just cause I got to see it in person. That's one of the top 5 in this thread. I'm starting to love the Minicam as much as the Y.
    Aw, thanks. You know, that could be a fun idea: people listing their top five builds from this thread. We've got so many to choose from by now.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 8, 2017, 2:37 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1704

Here's how you know you have a problem...

When you make a custom hand-severing gag stunt saber out of junk parts...
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 8, 2017, 2:47 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1705

But seriously folks...

Writer's strike is nigh, I got a new worktable, saber season is about to begin!

Top left are four old sabers I want to refresh, below those, 5 flash handles I've yet to plan out. Box one is full of HD parts, screws, clamp bubbles and cut cards, various chunks meant for emitters. Smaller boxes are all my greeblies from stripping down flashes and the extra gear you end up with buying scrap flashes. Above the boxes on the left-- end caps, on the right, various scraps that can be used as body extensions. Middle of the table, bottom, three flashes I'm currently trying to plan, all of them refreshes. Above to the left, emitters and shrouds. To the right, clamps and bands. Right side of the table, four flashes that have their plans settled and ready for assembly work.

Bin 1: uncut PCB material and some pieces needing to be disassembled.
    Bin 2: Extra leftover flash parts
    Bin 3: Grip material, t-tracka, rubber, metal strips, etc.
    Bin 4: seen on bottom shelf-- junk scrap flash parts.
  6. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Apr 8, 2017, 3:57 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1706

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    ... You know, that could be a fun idea: people listing their top five builds from this thread. We've got so many to choose from by now.
    I'll bite...

WARNING
    : The following contains egregious amounts of self-indulgence and ego gratification

1: Sorry, gang, there's a lot of good customs here but none's won me over more than my own KotOR inspired build I posted originally back on page 20.

2: @Kylash did a custom vintage flashlight-based build some time back (here) that looks like it jumped straight from the McQuarrie paintings, filtered through the production aesthetic of ANH. Absolutely love this piece.

3: @AnubisGuard original model Y Canon back on page 19, or the "Progenitor", as I call it. This I think was the first that spurred the rest of us to shoot the value of the Canon's up. The one @Scott D did following this, I actually like just a bit more aesthetically because of how stripped down and robust it looks with his "patented" bare metal stock grips, and @thd9791 is up there too, but Anubis gets the cake for being the first to start this whole mess.

4: My revised Busch-saber. I actually keep this relatively close when the urge to pick it up and swing it around going "Swrooom" "Vrrrooom" kicks in.

5: My Graflite challenge entry, The Graf-Staff. Also fun to pick up and swing around from time to time.

Again, there are plenty of great builds here...I just happen to like my stuff the most.
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; Apr 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Whoops, credited the wrong member for #3
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Apr 8, 2017, 4:15 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1707

Your Busch saber was phenomenal - simple and OT inspired. Still looking for one of those
    Apr 9, 2017, 2:00 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1708

With the caveat that @SethS's Busch-shrouded Ikon build would be in here if he ever finished the darn thing, my top 5 sabers from the thread so far:

5.) @StewYZF750's simple but beautiful saltwater-etched Imperial saber. It's straightforward, clean, and very creative. It's the only saber built out of nothing but some aluminum tubing that I've liked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21349483466_6a057be8f8_o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	720337

4.) @SolosHold leather-wrapped psudo-Graflex. It's rare that I find a saber that combines Obi-Wan style influences along with camera flash-inspired influences that actually works, but here it does. I liked it so much that it influenced an upcoming build of mine.

Name:	skx 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	9.15 MB 
ID:	720339

3.) @ScottD produced this wonderful, beat-to-hell demon saber for the "Graflite Challenge." I love it.

Name:	IMG_20160218_180206502_zps9ciekxdd.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	720340

2.) This one inspired the 3D printed Minicam extension part @SethS has used so often. It's @BobasBounty's aluminum saber he built for his son. A variation on the classic Vader ANH look, it's still one of my favorites. Minimal, clean, precise, it looks like the kind of saber we should have seen during the prequels but didn't.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	720341

And my all-time favorite is...

1.) @D48thRonin's De Mornay-Budd conversion. Wow. What else is there to say? A minimal build using just some t-track and a bead-blasted Heiland stubby shroud created what is, in my mind, the most striking saber in this entire thread. It's a classic that would have fit right in in the original trilogy if there had been a character to wield it. I love this design so much that if I ever get my hands on a De Mornay-Budd, I plan to make an exact replica of it.

Name:	DeMornay saber02.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	720344
    Last edited by AnubisGuard; Apr 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
  9. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2017, 11:25 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1709

Seriously?

I dunno, man... there's a lot of neat stuff in this thread. But thank you - I do appreciate it.
    Apr 9, 2017, 11:31 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1710

I'm a classicist at heart -- if it were possible to make unique sabers out of nothing but different flash brands and t-track, I would.
  11. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 9, 2017, 12:10 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1711

That DMB is one of the three that got me building customs, man. Simple & perfect.

The other two are Marshall's Canon and Scott's PeakSabers.

There's a ton of amazing work on here since, of course, but those are the ones that made me go "dang, I wanna play."

D48thRonin said: View Post
    Seriously?

I dunno, man... there's a lot of neat stuff in this thread. But thank you - I do appreciate it.
  12. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Apr 9, 2017, 12:29 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1712

@ScottD has consistently produced some amazing pieces here.

Lots of good work here though, a favorite thread.
  13. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2017, 1:28 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1713

veektohr said: View Post
    That DMB is one of the three that got me building customs, man. Simple & perfect.

The other two are Marshall's Canon and Scott's PeakSabers.

There's a ton of amazing work on here since, of course, but those are the ones that made me go "dang, I wanna play."
    Well thanks - I'm glad you dig it. It's always gratifying when you can inspire others in some small way.

You guys with your Canon Xs and Ys are really making me wanna play too - I already have so many things on my "to do" list and it's really not helping
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 9, 2017, 1:32 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1714

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    With the caveat that @SethS's Busch-shrouded Ikon build would be in here if he ever finished the darn thing, my top 5 sabers from the thread so far:
    All right all right, you bully!

Picking a top 5 is REALLY hard... but these are the ones that finally pulled me out of being a lurker. In no particular order...

@D48thRonin and his DMB... agreed with what everyone else has said. Classic yet knew, undeniably Star Wars and fully unique.

@AnubisGuard has hooked me with a couple. His Canon was definitely the one that got us all worked up and is one of the best, but I actually think his first Minicam was crazy cool and inspiring. (Obviously, since I've used his 3D part on multiple builds)

@Kylash did the first Ikon Ziess saber and I was OBSESSED. It might be my favorite. It's so cool its one reason I've been such a chicken about working on mine.

@PoopaPapaPalps is lauded for his Busch saber (deservedly) but I actually LOVE this evil looking Kalart to death. I did one as well, but ended up being unpleased with it (hence it being stripped back down on the table in my workshop table post. I love this one cause it tells a very clear story. An the black and yellow combo is awesome.

And obviously, it's next to impossible to pick a favorite from @Scott D...

...dude is a wizard. But I have to agree on the Graflite of doom...

And I can't not mention a couple more...

@Panaflex and his black ops stealth Sith saber

And I can't find a picture of it, but the Canon X/Y that @veektohr made with the KalArt emitter is one of the most clever multi-part builds that I've seen.
    Last edited by SethS; Apr 9, 2017 at 2:09 PM.
  15. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Apr 9, 2017, 1:42 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1715

All right all right, you bully!

Picking a top 5 is REALLY hard... but these are the ones that finally pulled me out of being a lurker. In no particular order...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_A.jpg @D48thRonin and his DMB... agreed with what everyone else has said. Classic yet knew, undeniably Star Wars and fully unique.

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_B.jpg @AnubisGuard has hooked me with a couple. His Canon was definitely the one that got us all worked up and is one of the best, but I actually think his first Minicam was crazy cool and inspiring. (Obviously, since I've used his 3D part on multiple builds)

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_C.jpg @Kylash did the first Ikon Ziess saber and I was OBSESSED. It might be my favorite. It's so cool its one reason I've been such a chicken about working on mine.

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_D.jpg @poopaPoppaPalps is lauded for his Busch saber (deservedly) but I actually LOVE this evil looking Kalart to death. I did one as well, but ended up being unpleased with it (hence it being stripped back down on the table in my workshop table post. I love this one cause it tells a very clear story. An the black and yellow combo is awesome.

And obviously, it's next to impossible to pick a favorite from @Scott D...
    http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...psdotsttov.jpg

...dude is a wizard. But I have to agree on the Graflite of doom...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_E.jpg

And I can't not mention a couple more...

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/top5_F.jpg @Panaflex and his black ops stealth Sith saber

And I can't find a picture of it, but the Canon X/Y that @veektohr made with the KalArt emitter is one of the most clever multi-part builds that I've seen.
    @SethS, Thanks for the mention, it's an honor. Couldn't have pulled that build off without @veektohr!

Yeah the Graflite of Doom is a show stopper in my book.

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	720407
    @AnubisGuard, Your Canon also stands out in my opinion as an A lister for OT Vibe.

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	720410
  16. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2017, 4:35 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1716

First of all, major kudos to @AnubisGuard for being the pathfinder on the Canon flash - they totally fit the bill for flash-based sabers (which is what I am also fond of). But also curses to @AnubisGuard for making me want one so badly

For me personally, it doesn't get any better than @Scott D's builds. Yeah, it's really hard to single one out, but I think my fave is his Canon Y - it's super-clean and just perfect (and again, because I really want one!)

From
    Georgia
    Apr 9, 2017, 6:11 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1717

Big thanks to everyone for the compliments. If you guys are trying to inspire me to come out of semi-retirement, I assure you it is helpful.

I'm dealing with a few issues around the house/property (storm damage) and some other things, but I'm hoping to start tinkering in the workshop again soon. Maybe this summer.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 9, 2017, 8:33 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1718

A lot of good work in this thread.

I'm not sure if I posted this but it wasn't in the past 20 or so pages.

My ancient Sith Saber

Last edited by Boba Debt; Apr 9, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 9, 2017, 10:24 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1719

Brutal!
  20. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1720

I finally got around to finishing up this saber. It's made up of a vintage flashlight, Canon Y, vintage gear, clamps from a Heiland/King Sol, 1.5" Tube, and a hard drive. It's all connected and sitting on a threaded rod.

Name:	1IMG_3087.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	720558

Name:	2IMG_3088.JPG 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	720550

Name:	OTWeapons.jpg 
Size:	977.9 KB 
ID:	720553

P.S. I feel like a 70 year old asking this, but can anyone tell me how to make my pictures show up larger like some of the other posts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	720549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1IMG_3087_zpsoth1dkbt.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	720565  
    Last edited by MattBud; Apr 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
  21. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Apr 10, 2017, 2:22 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1721

MattBud said: View Post
    I finally got around to finishing up this saber. It's made up of a vintage flashlight, Canon Y, vintage gear, clamps from a Heiland/King Sol, 1.5" Tube, and a hard drive. It's all connected and sitting on a threaded rod.

Views:	66 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	720558

Name:	2IMG_3088.JPG 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	720550

Name:	OTWeapons.jpg 
Size:	977.9 KB 
ID:	720553

P.S. I feel like a 70 year old asking this, but can anyone tell me how to make my pictures show up larger like some of the other posts?
    I like the new build, very cool.

To make the pics bigger:
    Go into edit mode of your post
    Click the pic
    From the menu that pops up, select the size you want.

easy peasy
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 10, 2017, 2:23 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1722

Dat gear tho
    From
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Apr 10, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1723

Thanks for the mention @AnubisGuard . I'm slowly gathering parts to build something different but so far apart from some FX conversions I've just played about with some Aerial masting and etching to create a few custom sabers. One day I'll try to build something new that might be worthy of posting in this thread!

Actually..... now you've given me confidence to post some pics of a couple of my earlier sabers, mostly plain and simple:
    DSCF5124
    DSCF5136
    Untitled
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 6:39 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1724

Dat gear tho
    RIGHT!?!?!

Hey @MattBud ! Two things: seriously, WHERE'S THAT GRIP GEAR FROM?

And two, the reason your images are showing up small is because you "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" (i.e. they're saved here at TheRPF and are being shown off of the server)

The other larger images you see are being shown from the URL they originate from (i.e. Photobucket) and are not stored here on TheRPF.

You're seeing your images show up as thumbnails because the server here at TheRPF is trying to save bandwidth by not displaying the large image everytime someone opens a thread, and only using the extra bandwidth to display the larger image when someone specifically clicks on the thumbnail wanting to see the larger image.

And maybe what Panaflex said too, I haven't tried that.
  25. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 10, 2017, 8:08 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1725

Ah okay. I appreciate the help! I tried the photo bucket thing and didn't have any luck either but I'll give it another shot next time. As for the gear, I got it from EBay. I searched Vintage Gear, Industrial Gear, Industrial Cog, etc... Ones that are that size are hard to find but every once and a while some good ones show up. SethS found a really good one and it's on a saber he posted recently, which looks great.