Show your custom Lightsabers!

So, I've been working on a Star Wars story of my own and this thread spurred me on to make the hilts for some of the characters in my little drama. I had set out some rules before I started so each saber looked consistent:

1) I needed one very OT, one very PT, and one "based on an ancient Sith design", which, to me, means KOTOR. At the end though, it had to look better than Kylo Ren's design.
2) They needed to be made with real-world parts: camera flashes, sink/plumbing equipment, whatever else I had
3) They all need to carry the build logic from the OT. Design choices for each thing needed to be made based solely around the key item as well as whatever items were available.

With that in mind, I went to the 'Bay, bought the cheapest/most reasonably priced camera flashes I could find and then to a few other sources for things that I definitely wanted. The T-tracks were the second things on the list.

The first saber I finished was for the main protagonist (his second saber, to be precise), and keeping it OT as possible, I needed to keep it simple. Any modification I was gonna do; it was with what the camera had on it. The only other things I wanted to do to it was just add a bubble strip (I prefer the look of them instead of the edge connector) and T-tracks. What I ended up with is this odd transition animal between the ANH Luke and the ESB Vader.

IMG_5135.JPGIMG_5142.JPGIMG_5146.JPGIMG_5145.JPGIMG_5147.JPGIMG_5136.JPGIMG_5152.JPGIMG_5151.JPG

It's built on a Busch/B-C Synchronizer and the bulb-release/telegraph thing on the back is the thing under the case for the flash trigger, just reversed and moved up to sit under the shroud. I didn't know which way to take it until I got it in hand; it's about the same size as a Graflex but it has an MPP-looking shroud with similar outlets, and considering the situation my protagonist is in, I thought it would make sense that it would look something like Anakin's/Vader's saber.

The d-ring was handmade from a spool of galvanized steel I have, the thing that's holding it is a part hacked off the casing for the flash trigger, and the bubble strip and t-track are from a Roy kit I botched from some time ago. The bubble strip is (obviously) two strips glued together but the longer, top piece cracked in half from me playing with it. Oh well, looks more OT that way.

For the second lightsaber, that was going to be my PT-esque hilt because it belonged to the Jedi master that was put in charge to watch over my main guy. Her lightsaber had to be humble, elegant, and refined...well, as elegant as something made from a sink tube, some washers, and hardware parts could be.

IMG_5159.JPGIMG_5157.JPGIMG_5158.JPGIMG_5153.JPGIMG_5154.JPG

This was a pain. In fact, this was my second attempt at this. There is a pvc pipe inside with two small flash guns inside (the bottom, exposed part with the covertec wheel from Ultrasabers, is one of them) holding the thing together. The first time I was fiddling with this, it jammed and got stuck and my prying it out just wrecked it all up and I had to trash it. Most of it was due to the opaque grip in the handle which is just layers of wrapped PETG, with the film on it, over the pvc pipe inside the body. The emitter are varying sizes of washers, stacked up on top of each other and soldered together. The pommel is a thing from the inside of a sink knob (from the next saber) and the greeblies that aren't rivets are things leftover from my Heiland Vader conversion that I saved.

Dunno how I feel about this overall. There are parts that I like and there are parts that I don't like. I really had no idea what to do and where to go with it design-wise; I really was just putting this together as I went until I got fed up with it and called a quits. So, here it is, in all of its "good enough" glory.

But here... this! This is the pride and joy of the three sabers I've completed. This is my KOTOR/"ancient Sith weapon" and I am extremely pleased with how this came out. In terms of the OT sabers, this is my Obi-wan. Even though it's a villain's saber (obviously), I added a sink knob to keep that lineage.

IMG_5181.JPGIMG_5206.JPGIMG_5184.JPGIMG_5195.JPGIMG_5194.JPGIMG_5197.JPGIMG_5204.JPGIMG_5212.JPGIMG_5221.JPG

Who says lightsabers have to be round? This is a built up Kalart Improved Master Automatic flash and when I saw it online, I just had to have it because of its hexagon body. However, when it showed up, it was a bit smaller than I expected and I decided to compensate for it with some t-track grips (from Todd's Costumes) and added a steel pipe to the end to extend it. It turned out a bit longer than I expected because the steel rods that line the extension pipe, to support the t-track, caught on the insides of the sink knob and it didn't slide further up. The hood that sits at the top is made from steel weld plate and soldered together, which I don't recommend because it really doesn't work, painted and then screwed into place. I kept the inside unpainted to keep the heat discoloration because it just added an extra "umph".

Brass rods were placed into the guide track under the clamp to add some color, metal rods were bent and put into the back just to fill up some negative space, and another Ultrasaber covertec wheel was placed on it because I couldn't see a d-ring doing any favors for it. Also, to keep it truly OT, I added the circuit board under the bubblestrip because it just doesn't scream villainy without it. I can't say enough of how pleased I am with it.

And here they are next to each other...

IMG_5231.JPG

...Here's hoping the next sabers I make turn out just as good.

Last edited:
A big :thumbsup on the OT-style BuschSaber, Palps. You nailed the custom style that I like most. No-nonsense and vintage camera flash based.

You might not be 100% happy with the PT style, but for a hardware store version, the choice of parts are pretty good.

The KalartSaber looks just plain mean. :cool

Figured I'd throw this one here too! Since the trailer of Knights of the Fallen Empire, I loved the mask and the twins' sabers. So I made the mask, and now I decided to throw together this model so that I can build this in the future. I worked mostly off of concept art and in game screenshots.

It's not done yet, but it's getting there. I purposefully shortened it because I know that the ones from the game are built on a "Hero" scale so they're slightly longer/bigger compared to normal sabers. So I took and inch off of the inner grip section, and simplified the design a bit to make it a little easier to build/print.

Got these two in the works right now. Really digging how the Canon is turning out. The Zeiss still has something of a Home Depot vibe, but I'm sure it'll come together eventually. Canon has a Heiland shroud. The Zeiss has half its guts removed. Heiland emitter stuffed inside. Body is chopped w/ grooves added for the GRAFLEX clamp. If I had a mulligan, I'd just file down the nubs on a replica clamp instead of chopping the body. Live & learn. All parts are from vintage flashes and calculators. Family photo for comparison :)

c6S2XKr.jpg hFdq9YU.jpg
7qM4L2N.jpg 0BjFObz.jpg

Got these two in the works right now. Really digging how the Canon is turning out. The Zeiss still has something of a Home Depot vibe, but I'm sure it'll come together eventually. Canon has a Heiland shroud. The Zeiss has half its guts removed. Heiland emitter stuffed inside. Body is chopped w/ grooves added for the GRAFLEX clamp. If I had a mulligan, I'd just file down the nubs on a replica clamp instead of chopping the body. Live & learn. All parts are from vintage flashes and calculators. Family photo for comparison :)

View attachment 574589 View attachment 574590
View attachment 574591 View attachment 574592

I really like that black emitter!

A few years back, after seeing a few custom sabers that their owners said were "Sith" sabers, I decided to design my own. A buddy lathed and milled it for me:

That's steel, and it was heated until it formed fire scale on the surface. It's ugly, heavy, and could easily mess someone up even without the blade (in-universe and real life.)

It's too heavy to effectively wear on a belt, but is fine for display.

Hey I'm kind of new here so if I post this in the wrong place I'm sorry. I recently bought a custom hilt on eBay. It's Luke's hilt from ANH and it has the crystal chamber visible. Wasn't sure if it's worth much but it seemed way too cool to pass up. image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Hey all, This is the first time I'll be posting a project, so here it is! A lightsaber I machined, on my lathe from Silicon Bronze, Stainless and Mild Steel, Walnut, and Aluminum.

I was pretty happy with the outcome, and plan on making a few more possibly..

Custom Light Saber -Christof Sander4.jpg
Custom Light Saber -Christof Sander3.jpg
Custom Light Saber -Christof Sander2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys-- apologies for the cross post-- wasn't sure if people read the new members thread and THIS thread is the one that made me join RPF.. so I wanted to say hello.

My whole story is here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=83912&page=429&p=3878478&posted=1#post3878478

The short version-- I bought a box of flashguns for $25 in 1994. I was a Star Wars fan and a photo major in college so I knew what to look for. I found a graflex in a box of flashguns. I actually just wanted it, but the guy selling would only part with the whole box of "junk."

So I had a Graflex saber with some poorly approximated attachments, this was back when we thought the t-track was windshield wiper blades. Anyway-- when the SW tech journal came out I realized I had Heilands to use as a basis for a Vader saber (this was pre MPP discovery). They were prized possessions for years-- especially after the SE and PT happened. Somebody stole the Vader, and during a move the Graflex went into the box.

After TFA re-ignighted my son's interest in Star Wars I dug out the graflex, ordered up some much better t-track and a bubble strip to finally make the graflex screen accurate. (mostly, there's a problem for another thread).

Anyway-- the reason I am posting HERE is to say thank you to everyone who's done an awesome saber based on an old flash gun. I really dislike the PT style lightsabers, so to see new and original sabers following the same design cues and aesthetics of the OT really excites me. To that-- I called up my mom and sure enough, that box full of flashguns that I forgot about because they weren't a graflex or heiland, is still in her basement where I left them 16 years ago. She's sending them to me now, and I HOPE they are awesome and I can join in the fun here. I'm PRETTY sure there's a Canon Y in there, which, according to ebay, is the new hot model to mod.

So thanks! Pics soon!

A few years back, after seeing a few custom sabers that their owners said were "Sith" sabers, I decided to design my own. A buddy lathed and milled it for me:

That's steel, and it was heated until it formed fire scale on the surface. It's ugly, heavy, and could easily mess someone up even without the blade (in-universe and real life.)

It's too heavy to effectively wear on a belt, but is fine for display.

It looks like it was made from an ancient stone. That is ruthless. :thumbsup

I love how on the Peak sabers the lines of the circuit boards tangent nicely with the tape on the clamp band. Work of art.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back