Show your custom Lightsabers!

Jason, I love that second one! Real streamlined, it just works
and i think that is a great looking slave saber. I've seen people do crazy things with those.

Lets see if I can find some of mine...
DSCN1186.JPG
this is a custom Bolsey...it started as a Yoda and i got carried away

DSCN1725.JPGDSCN1726.JPG
this i made from clock parts and a flashlight...very minimalist... tactical even.

Hmm. Do BMX handlebar grips nailed to a painted, wooden broom handle count as a custom lightsaber? If so, that would be my first (second, third, fourth, etc.) custom saber from when I was a kid. Had a lot of fun with those back in the day. For the most part I skipped the hardware saber thing but did make this one from PVC when I was in my 20's.

RotJPVCHilt.jpg~original

Here's the first custom machined aluminum saber I ever bought. It was made by RLSA Sabers.

Saber03.jpg~original

... and here's first custom saber I commissioned, also by RLSA Sabers. It has two blade holders, one for a 3/4" dia. blade and one for a 1" dia. blade.

Saberhiltwithextrainsert.jpg~original

I still have both of those RLSA hilts.

Here's the first machined aluminum saber I built by myself

Saber04-01.jpg~original

I've made quite a few sabers since then, though not as much as some of the more well known saber smiths and never for myself... except for one which I made last year. I call it Nifo'oti. It's based off of a Samoan fire knife. It's currently undergoing some modifications as I decided to change some things up on it but here is what it looked like...

Nifo_oti_Beta-01.jpg~original

Nifo_oti_Beta-08.jpg~original

Nifo_oti_Beta-09.jpg~original

Last edited:
Hmm. Do BMX handlebar grips nailed to a painted, wooden broom handle count as a custom lightsaber? If so, that would be my first (second, third, fourth, etc.) custom saber from when I was a kid. Had a lot of fun with those back in the day. For the most part I skipped the hardware saber thing but did make this one from PVC when I was in my 20's.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...ber hilts and blades/RotJPVCHilt.jpg~original

Here's the first custom machined aluminum saber I ever bought. It was made by RLSA Sabers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber hilts and blades/Saber03.jpg~original

... and here's first custom saber I commissioned, also by RLSA Sabers. It has two blade holders, one for a 3/4" dia. blade and one for a 1" dia. blade.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2... blades/Saberhiltwithextrainsert.jpg~original

I still have both of those RLSA hilts.

Here's the first machined aluminum saber I built by myself

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/ARKM Saber Hilts/Saber04-01.jpg~original

I've made quite a few sabers since then, though not as much as some of the more well known saber smiths and never for myself... except for one which I made last year. I call it Nifo'oti. It's based off of a Samoan fire knife. It's currently undergoing some modifications as I decided to change some things up on it but here is what it looked like...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26907403/Nifo_oti/Nifo_oti_Beta-01.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26907403/Nifo_oti/Nifo_oti_Beta-08.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26907403/Nifo_oti/Nifo_oti_Beta-09.jpg

Those look fantastic man! Beautiful work. I'm planning on building a custom saber for myself out of styrofoam and then either metal cast it or just make a regular resin casting. I do want to put electronics in it so does anybody know which way is better to work with to make it have electronics?

Thanks. :)

I've never done any casting but I would imagine that the hard part is making something cast, hollow. I'm thinking that you would want it to be hollow when cast, as doing it afterwards could damage the material. If you have at least a 1" I.D., you could use a Plecter Labs Nano Biscotte sound board, 18500 or 18650 battery, a multi die Rebel or Cree LED and a 1" dia. Solo's Hold or TCSS heat sink module.

Last edited:

Those look marvelous! Do some of them have electronics (besides the one shown with the blue blade)? Also how did you get into machining and how did you get them to look great?

Those look marvelous! Do some of them have electronics (besides the one shown with the blue blade)? Also how did you get into machining and how did you get them to look great?
Thank you. While several of them have LEDs in them, only the one pictured with the blade has any electronics in it. It actually has a sound module in the pommel too. Including electronics sometimes limits the design, because I have to leave room inside for them, so I can't cut very deep.

As for how I got into machining, I've been a member of the RPF for a long time and when the SW prequels came out, sabers were really hot and I was really into them. I bought a bunch of them...from MR, custom runs, etc. I was even a member of an "underground" saber forum that sprung up when the licensing issues got kinda hot. I had designed some of my own sabers and after looking into what it would cost the have them made, I decided to buy a hobby lathe and make them myself...and I know other RPF members have their own custom designs, so I figured I could do some commission work and help bring their designs to life at a reasonable cost. I don't have any kind of training or anything...I'm self taught. I just have lots of practice and have honed my skills/techniques.

Thank you. While several of them have LEDs in them, only the one pictured with the blade has any electronics in it. It actually has a sound module in the pommel too. Including electronics sometimes limits the design, because I have to leave room inside for them, so I can't cut very deep.

As for how I got into machining, I've been a member of the RPF for a long time and when the SW prequels came out, sabers were really hot and I was really into them. I bought a bunch of them...from MR, custom runs, etc. I was even a member of an "underground" saber forum that sprung up when the licensing issues got kinda hot. I had designed some of my own sabers and after looking into what it would cost the have them made, I decided to buy a hobby lathe and make them myself...and I know other RPF members have their own custom designs, so I figured I could do some commission work and help bring their designs to life at a reasonable cost. I don't have any kind of training or anything...I'm self taught. I just have lots of practice and have honed my skills/techniques.

Fantastic, I hope to keep in contact with you! Also did you find difficulty using metal with a hobby lathe? If so, what are some metals that are easy to work with?

Fantastic, I hope to keep in contact with you! Also did you find difficulty using metal with a hobby lathe? If so, what are some metals that are easy to work with?
Aircraft-grade aluminum (like 6061) is my main material. I also use brass for some of the knobs and other accent pieces. Those are both pretty easy to cut, even dry. I have some stainless steel stock but honestly I've never tried to cut it. I'm sure its tough as hell.

I have a Sherline 4400 lathe (picture below)...I also have the milling column, which converts it to a milling machine, and the knurling attachment. The biggest problem is that its powered by an electric motor, so its not terribly powerful. You can't take off a lot of metal in a single pass, so it takes a while - probably 15 hours on average - to make a saber. But I typically make everything on a saber, including the knobs/thumbscrews and the Covertec. The only things I don't make are the LEDs and any screws I may use (like the one that holds on the Covertec).

sherline.jpg

I recently won this in an auction from Nocturne Armory. Will be the lightsaber to my turned-to-the-dark-side Jedi costume, alongside my CF7.5 Ascend from Genesis Custom Sabers.

Made from machined aluminum
Black powder coated accents
Leather wraps
Measures 9 3/4" long
Medium weathering
7/8 inch diameter polycarbonate blades
Petit Crouton v3.5 soundboard
7.4v liion pack
Red/red/orange Luxeon rebel main LED
2 Red Luxeon rebel side LED's
2.1mm charge port with kill key

And now for pictures!

Crossguard Saber 2.jpg20150124_135956.jpgCrossguard Saber 1.jpg20150124_135946.jpg20150124_140014.jpgCrossguard Saber 3.jpg20150124_140007.jpg

@ Theron Leginas ... now only hope that the character is not killed off just seconds after igniting his lightsaber ;)

... enjoy your purchase though :)

Chaim

Wow ... that's a telegraph button G R A F L E X top ... much sought after by blasterguys for a Boba blaster stunt variation if I recall correctly ... excellent ... personally I'd add some T-track ... well done sir :)

Chaim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back