Haystack Hair's MPC Millennium Falcon Conversion MK.II

I love your internal frame design. I wish I had access to a laser cutter because I would totally steal that idea from you.

I find doing the pipework on the Falcon to be surprisingly therapeutic...

23078080004_2f2bda9e59_c.jpg

23680157406_450f0774a9_c.jpg

23078080004_2f2bda9e59_c.jpg

23680157406_450f0774a9_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress is so slow I want to cry....I had to cut apart the internal frame because it was being more of a hinderance than a help. I think I'm gonna have to design and lasercut a new one

Hello all! I am the newest member at RPF. Haystack, I want you to know that I stumbled upon this thread and your build purely by accident a couple of weeks ago. I have always been a huge falcon fan since I first saw the film in the theater in 1978. Of course I saw the subsequent films and loved it even more.

Your thread inspired me to learn what a "conversion" was, how many different types of falcons existed, that a whole world of modeling existed of which I was totally unaware and eventually to register here! So I set out to find a good deal on ebay for a ROTJ MPC Kit from 1989. I found just that! I got amazingly lucky because for just under $50 I was able to get that kit along with an unopened X-wing kit of the same lineage. I also have a Star Destroyer and an AT AT Walker en route and I haven't modeled in 31 years!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I am possessed of the same level of talent or patience as you fine modeler's (especially you HH and Roboted- I have seen your thread also!) BUT I have my new kit in hand and am starting to think awful hard about what to do next!

HH, I know you are growing weary of this build but those of us that are following along can not only see light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, we are hanging on your every post. I think I speak for everyone when I say I can not wait to see your finished product! I hope knowing that your work has had a profound impact on me will help fuel your future efforts if only a bit more. Specifically, I am a 43 year old father of 2 fantastic teenagers. You have returned child like excitement to me with your build as I now want to own my own amazing replica, you have inspired me to buy a model kit to work on with my children (and they are super excited about it as we are all scifi/fantasy nerds anyway), AND most importantly you have given freely of yourself for the betterment of this community providing inspiration to us all!

Stay strong and finish the fight!!!

Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Lee D

P.s. How do I message you about buying parts and molded pieces? I am not super tech savvy =D Yes..I am old as I said.... o_O

P.s.s. My virgin retail kits below:
The Falcon is MPC #8917 & The X-Wing is #8918 (These are the kits I am seeing modified right?)

yes, I got weak and bought a STNG model also...sue me!

Is this part of the reference material people are using?
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...millennium-falcon-exact-replica-youd-kill.htm

Last edited:
Hello all! I am the newest member at RPF. Haystack, I want you to know that I stumbled upon this thread and your build purely by accident a couple of weeks ago. I have always been a huge falcon fan since I first saw the film in the theater in 1978. Of course I saw the subsequent films and loved it even more.

Your thread inspired me to learn what a "conversion" was, how many different types of falcons existed, that a whole world of modeling existed of which I was totally unaware and eventually to register here! So I set out to find a good deal on ebay for a ROTJ MPC Kit from 1989. I found just that! I got amazingly lucky because for just under $50 I was able to get that kit along with an unopened X-wing kit of the same lineage. I also have a Star Destroyer and an AT AT Walker en route and I haven't modeled in 31 years!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I am possessed of the same level of talent or patience as you fine modeler's (especially you HH and Roboted- I have seen your thread also!) BUT I have my new kit in hand and am starting to think awful hard about what to do next!

HH, I know you are growing weary of this build but those of us that are following along can not only see light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, we are hanging on your every post. I think I speak for everyone when I say I can not wait to see your finished product! I hope knowing that your work has had a profound impact on me will help fuel your future efforts if only a bit more. Specifically, I am a 43 year old father of 2 fantastic teenagers. You have returned child like excitement to me with your build as I now want to own my own amazing replica, you have inspired me to buy a model kit to work on with my children (and they are super excited about it as we are all scifi/fantasy nerds anyway), AND most importantly you have given freely of yourself for the betterment of this community providing inspiration to us all!

Stay strong and finish the fight!!!

Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Lee D

P.s. How do I message you about buying parts and molded pieces? I am not super tech savvy =D Yes..I am old as I said.... o_O

Is this part of the reference material people are using?
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...millennium-falcon-exact-replica-youd-kill.htm

Hey Lee! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your excitement, it gives me a great deal of pleasure....makes all the years of research and work seem worth it hehe

As for reference, the link you have there is for the Hot Toys 1/6th scale Falcon, which is based on the 1/72nd Finemolds Falcon....a kit famed for its spectacularly accurate detail but woeful inaccuracy in the basic proportions. In my 'umble opinion I would recommend avoiding it as use for reference.
You'll likely need to register an account, but on Pinterest I've assembled a (large!) handful of research on each version of the famous ship:

Millennium Falcon Reference- Comprehensive covers details and research of the 'in-universe' Falcon more than anything

Millennium Falcon Reference- 1/72 contains reference for a wide variety of 1/72nd scaled Falcons, all of different skill levels. It also includes relevant donor kit information

Millennium Falcon Reference- 32" is full of visual information on the 32 inch 'stunt' model built for Empire. To the untrained eye it doesn't seem that much different to the 5 foot ANH model, but as you will discover there are a ream of differences in detail and proportion. Generally the 5 footer is considered superior but each to his own after all!

Millennium Falcon Reference- 5' this board contains a mass of photos of the original 1977 '5 Footer' Falcon. ID maps, detail shots, diagrams etc etc. This is what I use now whenever I work on my Falcon, all the references I've found over the years conglomerated into one online space- easy peasy

As for messaging about resin parts- I believe if you click on my username it should give you the option to 'send message'

Thanks !

Progress is so slow I want to cry....I had to cut apart the internal frame because it was being more of a hinderance than a help. I think I'm gonna have to design and lasercut a new one/QUOTE]

Hehe - you're Falcon's coming along great, Haystack Hair and I love all your high-tech stuff. That last photo -- yummy!!!! Hi SpamDaddy, welcome to the forum, and very happy for you -- perfect time to come back to modeling!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Crackerjazz! =P

HH, the kit I have is it close in detail at all to the five footer or should I choose a different kit? Sounds like the 5 footer is the "do all end all".
I want an amazing looking finished product (as amazing as a beginner can make one look) but I am not sure I am up to all the mods you all are VERY VERY talented!

Hi SpamDaddy, the MPC is a model of the 5-footer and used to be the kit of choice (er, I guess there was no other choice). It still has no rival in the 1/72 arena (for a 5-footer). The sidewalls can be improved a bit as the height and details are not true to the studio model. The same goes for the engine deck. The hull is also not as curved as it should be but still looks good. Despite all of these, painted right it will look like a 5-footer. The Finemolds (in 1/72 and 1/144) is a model of the 32-inch ESB Falcon and I guess is not what you want. Everyone is still waiting for a better 5-footer in 1/72 . The Bandai 1/144 which came out recently is practically a model of the 5-footer but with added details (http://www.wired.com/2015/11/wired-star-wars-cover-millennium-falcon/) for the new movie. I recommend you also check out Jaitea's 5-footer build -- it's a beautiful model -- although the modifications might drive you crazy, just as Haystack Hair is doing here. But build your Falcon out of the box first to get some experience in painting it (have to practice myself). I'm sure it won't be your last :)

Thanks for the information, Crackerjazz. I have to admit when I first discovered this site and tried to take in all the info and what you all were doing to your falcons my head was swimming! Hopefully I can get HH's resin mod kit after I make it through the holidays and can work on making a true "replica". I 'm not sure if I build the stock model if I will be satisfied just knowing it's so far off the actual ship. It's kind of like finding out that you got duped into buying a fake, lol. Y'all's models look like they could be used to shoot a scene for the new movie! (Well, except for the round dish =P) I think I may just build this kit the way it sits though and try my hand at the painting as you suggest.

Hey all
I too just joined RPF and am amazed at so much of the talent on this forum. I'm right there with Spamdaddy starting my own MPC falcon build & conversion, and I couldn't be more grateful for this forum to find so much information and tips. HH your falcon is looking out of this world, keep up the amazing work! Spam daddy and I will have to learn patience real quick (although with two teenagers you're probably better at patience than I) when it comes to getting our Falcons up to the same caliber as some of the builds on this forum.
Happy modeling!

Hey all
I too just joined RPF and am amazed at so much of the talent on this forum. I'm right there with Spamdaddy starting my own MPC falcon build & conversion, and I couldn't be more grateful for this forum to find so much information and tips. HH your falcon is looking out of this world, keep up the amazing work! Spam daddy and I will have to learn patience real quick (although with two teenagers you're probably better at patience than I) when it comes to getting our Falcons up to the same caliber as some of the builds on this forum.
Happy modeling!

Welcome aboard, I am leaf! Start a thread and let's keep our progress updated as we learn from the masters here. The RPF is THE place to start that is for sure! Happy new year all and let's get building!

Lee

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back