On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build

The print job arrived earlier today; unfortunately it looks like one of the parts was erroneously printed and sent out, so I'm currently missing the bottom of the cage. Hopefully I'll be able to get that sent out soon!

In the mean time, here are a few shots:

View attachment 504054
Two in this shot (even though I printed three) because the third lost bits off the legs in transport. Bottlecap for scale; these are really not very large at all and the limbs are very thin. I am glad I had the foresight to print three. Hopefully at least one will arrive at @helpfulnerd's unharmed!

View attachment 504057View attachment 504058
A couple detail shots.

View attachment 504056View attachment 504055
View attachment 504060
The rest of the box (the parts I have) assembled.

inkblot, this is so cool. I can't wait to start assembling this part. I took a nap and woke up to this update. I'm so excited!

I'm doing some more work on the glove tonight, getting my work shop organized so I can focus on this build from now until DragonCon.

I'll be working on the "Dial A Demon" part tonight as well as some of the vacuum tube parts. Basically gonna see how far I can get between now and Aug 1st.

I read your write up on your blog, good stuff - which reminds me that I need to also post an update to my blog with my progress so far too.

Thanks for all your hard work on these parts!

Did some test fitting of the "Dial A Demon" parts and the leather that wraps around the arm tube above the spinning gear.

Starting to take more shape. Have to finish the graphics for the dial a demon gauge and then some paint for the gauge rim and then I can start assembling.

Moving onto some more leather work for behind the hand, the leather that goes under the vineagroon cage as well some other detailed bits for the back of the hand.

More pics soon, now back to work.

test ftting the dial a demon pieces.jpg

Last edited:
@inkblot made a video of the scorpion cage parts that I commissioned her for.

Sadly a major part didn't arrive. :cry but that was Shapeways fault, not hers.

But, the good news is that she made this awesome video showing progress regarding the other parts that DID arrive.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/QEprkbicNxo

It's coming together, and the parts are looking great so far!

I got my parts from inkblot today. I started sanding, priming and painting the scoripion box as it's been called in other threads.

Waiting on some more parts from Shapeways including the one that they forgot to print and send out.

2015-08-03 20.08.55.jpg

2015-08-03 20.59.45.jpg

2015-08-03 21.00.49.jpg

That's it for now.

This i so cool.
When i first saw the build of Adam, and the thread he made with the others i was like: I'll never be able to build something like that.
But seeing what you're doing, this is awesome :)

I might even try it myself (after my other projects =D)

This i so cool.
When i first saw the build of Adam, and the thread he made with the others i was like: I'll never be able to build something like that.
But seeing what you're doing, this is awesome :)

I might even try it myself (after my other projects =D)

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. :thumbsup

I have to admit that I was also intimidated by not only the detail of a piece like this, but that Adam made such an awesome version.

Then I realized that I could put my own creative spin on it.

Let me know if you have any questions about parts, feel free to PM me. I'll be doing a parts run at some point later this year, probably cast resin kits for different main parts of the glove, but that's down the road.

And if you decide to tackle your own mecha-glove send me the link to your build thread.

I'll have more updates soon. I'm trying to have this complete for DragonCon, I'll be doing a cosplay of Rasputin from the portal scene.

Did some more work on the "dial a demon" part this morning.

2015-08-22 06.02.35.jpg

2015-08-22 06.04.04.jpg

Today is all about making progress on the mecha-glove so I'll be posting more updates soon.

Attachments

• 2015-08-22 06.03.24.jpg
    2015-08-22 06.03.24.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
IMG_4246.JPGIMG_4243.JPGIMG_4238.JPG

Here, in order, are patterns for the top and bottom leather of the tube (6" diameter) and exploded drawings of the hand and the back-of-the-hand scorpion case. (vinegaroon case I know). More coming. I did lots of drawings.

For size that's a standard width belt in the first photo, I did all the grommet work on it myself (with 1/8" eyelets, antique finish- the same finish I had on my palm grommets) and both pieces of leather have about 1/2" of overlap.

- - - Updated - - -

small leather reference.jpg
this is a very good reference for all the leather, in scale to each other. There may be some artifacts when it's all sized correctly, but it's darned close. Can't wait to see how these progress!

This is looking great! I didn't know this was going on. I'll put up some reference.

Mr. Savage, thanks sir! I do believe that you did post on this thread awhile back though. :D

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 518452View attachment 518453View attachment 518454

Here, in order, are patterns for the top and bottom leather of the tube (6" diameter) and exploded drawings of the hand and the back-of-the-hand scorpion case. (vinegaroon case I know). More coming. I did lots of drawings.

For size that's a standard width belt in the first photo, I did all the grommet work on it myself (with 1/8" eyelets, antique finish- the same finish I had on my palm grommets) and both pieces of leather have about 1/2" of overlap.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 518455
this is a very good reference for all the leather, in scale to each other. There may be some artifacts when it's all sized correctly, but it's darned close. Can't wait to see how these progress!

Thanks for these references. I'm going in a slightly different direction for this version for my cosplay at DragonCon....BUT....I will be tackling a screen accurate version after D'Con and this reference is going to come in very handy.

Things are getting painted tonight, more work has been done on the lower arm tube, and I'm going to try to get the main glove attached tonight. Two weeks to go until DragonCon. Lots to do. :wacko

Are you going with a robe?

Yep, I'm gonna start working on the robe this next week. I lead a bearded lifestyle but I'm trimming it a bit, cleaning it up. I also shaved my head a month ago, to get some sun on my head. I gotta cut it again before DragonCon. And of course I will have the Mecha-Glove.

I gotta watch the movie again to practice my pose and practice my "I'm opening a portal to the agdu jihad" face. :lol

My buddy KJC and I'll be in costume on Friday as Rasputin and Kroenen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some more pics.

Got a couple more parts done, and did some test fitting before permanently attaching anything.

Today I hope to make more progress.

2015-08-23 03.50.01.jpg

2015-08-23 03.47.28.jpg

looking good!...now just got to stick it all together lol

Yeah man. Just got to stick it all together has been my Achilles heal the last few weeks. :lol

Every time I wanted to assemble something I was like "oh damn, I gotta paint this" or "Wait, gotta finish this" LOL

BUT....the good news is that I am now in the position to really start building it.

Thus, I am up tonight to do so.

#allnighter

Mr. Ultraman, thanks good sir for your support, such an esteemed RPF member such as yourself rooting for me really means a lot! I appreciate it.

I feel the love :love lol

Joshua

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good :)

You even made a map =D

Thanks! I appreciate it.

What map are you referring to? Do you mean the binder that is on the workshop table?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back