On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build

I'll likely make the pieces I modelled available up on Shapeways again, but I'm hoping to get a bit more input on the pieces before moving forward.

As I mentioned before, the part was sent as pieces to Helpfulnerd and there were some issues with the dome piece (which is my fault) being not flat on the bottom. I also worry that certain edges may be too thin (particularly where the screw holes meet the edge on the dome piece).

So for now, I'm thinking it may be better to fuse as many pieces as possible together (IE: The outside pieces, then allow the interior cylinder to be inserted separately, along with a spring, which the part needs anyway), which would allow the overall shape to strengthen that spot just by nature of it no longer being super-thin.

Thoughts?

Also, regarding shipping, it's possible you could have it printed through Shapeways and have it not be as costly, since they have an office in the Netherlands.

Inkblot, here's my thoughts:

I know I commissioned you to model the parts for me for my project, but if others can order them from Shapeways the more the better for other folks to make their own Mecha-Glove. And it's good for you too! :)

I have not sanded the Dome bottom edges flat yet, but I'm sure it will work fine. I did a quick test and it's working fine to sand the bottom edges of the Dome.

Just my two cents I don't think that you should fuse the pieces together considering that it's a detailed piece. Maybe just fix the bottom edge of the the Dome piece and make all 4 pieces of the Cage available for purchase through your Shapeways page.

I don't mind doing cleanup work on what you sent me. But I agree that a flat edge on the bottom of the Dome piece would be better for the final version that can be ordered.

FYI I am still torn between molding and casting the "Cage" pieces that you modeled for me or if I should just order 3 more sets. It's a complex part to mold. I'm wrapping my head around that.

At any rate, I would love if you would make the parts available for other folks to order. Even though I comissioned you to make these parts for my project, I'm fine with others ordering them from your Shapeways page.

Share the love right?

Happy Friday everybody!
Joshua

along with a spring, which the part needs anyway), which would allow the overall shape to strengthen that spot just by nature of it no longer being super-thin.

Just curious, what is the spring you are talking about? Is there a spring inside the Cage piece that I didn't notice in the reference pics?

Can you elaborate on the spring?

I don't care about a spring in my Cage pieces. But if there is a spring in the Cage, others might want it.

Just curious, what is the spring you are talking about? Is there a spring inside the Cage piece that I didn't notice in the reference pics?

Can you elaborate on the spring?

I don't care about a spring in my Cage pieces. But if there is a spring in the Cage, others might want it.
There is a spring that sits under the piston inside the cylinder. It wasn't modelled because I figured it would probably be easier for you to find a spring on hand.

There is a spring that sits under the piston inside the cylinder. It wasn't modelled because I figured it would probably be easier for you to find a spring on hand.

LOL, I have a binder full of reference pics of the Mecha-Glove and I didn't even notice.

Thanks for clarifying that. I won't personally use a spring, well wait....I could just get some small springs. Hmm. It has me thinking now. LOL :D

I'm glad you noticed. Can you share an image that shows the spring in the Cage? Or reference the pic from the pics that I shared that shows the spring?

Earlier this evening I added more grommets to the palm leather for the main glove piece.

palm pad 2.jpgpalm pad.jpg

Ok so, I got a little carried away with the Grommets. Some of them are too close to others. But I'm going to use it and move forward. It's not horrible. lol :lol

I have to buy another pack of grommets because I'm 3 short! DANG!!! THREE SHORT! LOL :D Time for a trip to the fabric store.

I also started working on the "Dial A Demon" piece.

my alternate dial a demon dial.jpg

Thanks for reading
Joshua

Last edited:
My friend Inkblot just messaged me and shared this awesome progress picture of the "Scorpion Cage". It's coming along nicely.

In the mean time I'll be putting more time into the glove throughout the week and I'll post pics when I can.

scorpion cage WIP.png

Joshua

Sorry for the radio silence folks.

Been swamped with client work, and then found out this past week that my grandparents passed away.

Flying out to Michigan in the AM for my grandfathers memorial service.

I'll have progress updates when I get back in town.

Joshua

Back in town. Back to work on my projects.

Just Skype'd with InkBlot and she showed me some awesome updates on the "scorpion cage" that she's making for me as well as the vinegaroon spider bug thingy.

It's looking really awesome. She said she'll post some pics to the thread soon.

I'll be posting more progress shortly too.

Hope everyone has been doing well.

Joshua

Oof. Leave it to me to say I'll post and...not.

Sorry, things have been a bit crazy over here.

I'm getting a bit closer a finished product with the box itself and have more or less finished my version of the vinegaroon.

ScorpionBox-05182015.png
I still need to add the ridged part to the top of the hinge and there are some pieces here that are still just boolean modifiers (not applied) to the model for now. I'm guessing a flat plate goes directly below the lid for the metal mesh and oblong box piece to fit in (and where the lighting gets mounted?)

Interior sculpted rings have yet to be started, but I did get around to getting the following:

vinegaroon.png
Based on the scale of the actual insect within the box, I'm not at all sure how much of this detail will end up in the final print, but I'm thinking I'll have it done on an SLA printer to get as much detail as we can.

vinegaroon2.png
vinegaroon3.png

Last edited:
Oof. Leave it to me to say I'll post and...not.

Sorry, things have been a bit crazy over here.

I'm getting a bit closer a finished product with the box itself and have more or less finished my version of the vinegaroon.

View attachment 478918
I still need to add the ridged part to the top of the hinge and there are some pieces here that are still just boolean modifiers (not applied) to the model for now. I'm guessing a flat plate goes directly below the lid for the metal mesh and oblong box piece to fit in (and where the lighting gets mounted?)

Interior sculpted rings have yet to be started, but I did get around to getting the following:

View attachment 478919
Based on the scale of the actual insect within the box, I'm not at all sure how much of this detail will end up in the final print, but I'm thinking I'll have it done on an SLA printer to get as much detail as we can.

View attachment 478921
View attachment 478922

ERMGRD this looks amazing! I love it so much. Inkblot you rock!

Here's where I'm at with the interior rings for the scorpion box.

The pattern was drawn on a flat graphic in Photoshop, then projected on to a cylindrical subtool in Zbrush. Some additional tinkering was done back in Blender, such as edge cleanup and planar decimation.

ScorpionBox-Ring-WIP.png

My glove has taken a back seat at mo due to two commission jobs that need doing and moving house. But hopefully be back on my one soon gota keep the UK side up and give you yanks a run for your money.

Closer to finished! I've since added some subdivisions to help smooth out the curves; things are on their way to be printed now.

Will post photos when they arrive.

Attachments

• Hellboy Scorpion Box - WIP 20150705.jpg
    Hellboy Scorpion Box - WIP 20150705.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 84
any updates on this project? I want to see how it comes out.

Sorry for the radio silence. I'll have some new pics and a update shortly. inkblot has sent off some parts for 3D printing. It's coming along.

Stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

My glove has taken a back seat at mo due to two commission jobs that need doing and moving house. But hopefully be back on my one soon gota keep the UK side up and give you yanks a run for your money.

No worries, I had to get back to the swing of things when I got back to town, but I finally had some time last week. Just need to post those pics and get a detailed update on the thread.

Bring it on man I can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

Bring it on man I can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

We've moved house now and getting my workshop sorted as its full of boxes at mo. But hopefully have it all sorted in next few weeks and then be back on this. Got a lot of parts just need to work on them and put it together. Think you'll be finished before me lol.

Here's a small update.

I decided to redo the palm pad. On the first attempt I screwed up the spacing between some grommets and it just really bothers me. At first I was going to to leave it alone, for the sake of time since I'm trying to have this done by DragonCon. However, the more I looked at it the more it upset me. So I retraced the palm pad on the leather and placed all the grommets where I want them and marked the leather to punch the holes. This one will be much better.

palm pad gromet placement.jpg

I also started playing around with the positioning of the dome pieces that go on the motivator.

motivator dome placement.jpg

This evening my focus is getting my shop area cleaned up and organized. I've been lazy and things began to pile up. After I reclaim my work space I'll be working on more of the leather parts for the main arm tube and should be able to start assembling more pieces.

Check out the shop train wreck...:facepalm

shop mess.jpg

That's it for now.

I'm almost done with the revised palm pad. Instead of the silver grommets I got some that have a antique / weathered look.

I'm so happy with the spacing of the grommets on this new palm pad.

Now back to work on assembling some of the other parts of the glove.

More pictures and updates coming soon :D

new palm pad.jpg

The print job arrived earlier today; unfortunately it looks like one of the parts was erroneously printed and sent out, so I'm currently missing the bottom of the cage. Hopefully I'll be able to get that sent out soon!

In the mean time, here are a few shots:

DET_1870-edit.jpg
Two in this shot (even though I printed three) because the third lost bits off the legs in transport. Bottlecap for scale; these are really not very large at all and the limbs are very thin. I am glad I had the foresight to print three. Hopefully at least one will arrive at helpfulnerd's unharmed!

DET_1897-edit.jpgDET_1901-edit.jpg
A couple detail shots.

DET_1875-edit.jpgDET_1872-edit.jpg
DET_1878-edit.jpg
The rest of the box (the parts I have) assembled.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back