Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20, 2015, 2:59 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #51

inkblot said: View Post
    Oof. Leave it to me to say I'll post and...not.

Sorry, things have been a bit crazy over here.

I'm getting a bit closer a finished product with the box itself and have more or less finished my version of the vinegaroon.

Attachment 478918
    I still need to add the ridged part to the top of the hinge and there are some pieces here that are still just boolean modifiers (not applied) to the model for now. I'm guessing a flat plate goes directly below the lid for the metal mesh and oblong box piece to fit in (and where the lighting gets mounted?)

Interior sculpted rings have yet to be started, but I did get around to getting the following:

Attachment 478919
    Based on the scale of the actual insect within the box, I'm not at all sure how much of this detail will end up in the final print, but I'm thinking I'll have it done on an SLA printer to get as much detail as we can.

Attachment 478921
    Attachment 478922
    ERMGRD this looks amazing! I love it so much. Inkblot you rock!
    From
    Toronto
    May 25, 2015, 12:51 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #52

Here's where I'm at with the interior rings for the scorpion box.

The pattern was drawn on a flat graphic in Photoshop, then projected on to a cylindrical subtool in Zbrush. Some additional tinkering was done back in Blender, such as edge cleanup and planar decimation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScorpionBox-Ring-WIP.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	481090
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Jun 10, 2015, 11:27 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #53

any updates on this project? I want to see how it comes out.
  4. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    From
    Uk
    Jun 12, 2015, 11:48 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #54

My glove has taken a back seat at mo due to two commission jobs that need doing and moving house. But hopefully be back on my one soon gota keep the UK side up and give you yanks a run for your money.
    From
    Toronto
    Jul 5, 2015, 1:41 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #55

Closer to finished! I've since added some subdivisions to help smooth out the curves; things are on their way to be printed now.

Will post photos when they arrive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hellboy Scorpion Box - WIP 20150705.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	496760  
  6. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 8, 2015, 5:27 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #56

Mrdopey said: View Post
    any updates on this project? I want to see how it comes out.
    Sorry for the radio silence. I'll have some new pics and a update shortly. inkblot has sent off some parts for 3D printing. It's coming along.

Stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

Uk cave man said: View Post
    My glove has taken a back seat at mo due to two commission jobs that need doing and moving house. But hopefully be back on my one soon gota keep the UK side up and give you yanks a run for your money.
    No worries, I had to get back to the swing of things when I got back to town, but I finally had some time last week. Just need to post those pics and get a detailed update on the thread.

Bring it on man I can't wait to see what you come up with!
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    From
    Uk
    Jul 8, 2015, 7:58 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #57

helpfulnerd said: View Post
    Bring it on man I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    We've moved house now and getting my workshop sorted as its full of boxes at mo. But hopefully have it all sorted in next few weeks and then be back on this. Got a lot of parts just need to work on them and put it together. Think you'll be finished before me lol.
  8. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 11, 2015, 8:10 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #58

Here's a small update.

I decided to redo the palm pad. On the first attempt I screwed up the spacing between some grommets and it just really bothers me. At first I was going to to leave it alone, for the sake of time since I'm trying to have this done by DragonCon. However, the more I looked at it the more it upset me. So I retraced the palm pad on the leather and placed all the grommets where I want them and marked the leather to punch the holes. This one will be much better.

Name:	palm pad gromet placement.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	499955

I also started playing around with the positioning of the dome pieces that go on the motivator.

Name:	motivator dome placement.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	499956

This evening my focus is getting my shop area cleaned up and organized. I've been lazy and things began to pile up. After I reclaim my work space I'll be working on more of the leather parts for the main arm tube and should be able to start assembling more pieces.

Check out the shop train wreck...

Name:	shop mess.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	499957

That's it for now.
  9. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 20, 2015, 1:33 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #59

I'm almost done with the revised palm pad. Instead of the silver grommets I got some that have a antique / weathered look.

I'm so happy with the spacing of the grommets on this new palm pad.

Now back to work on assembling some of the other parts of the glove.

More pictures and updates coming soon

Name:	new palm pad.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	503753
    From
    Toronto
    Jul 20, 2015, 11:50 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #60

The print job arrived earlier today; unfortunately it looks like one of the parts was erroneously printed and sent out, so I'm currently missing the bottom of the cage. Hopefully I'll be able to get that sent out soon!

In the mean time, here are a few shots:

Name:	DET_1870-edit.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	504054
    Two in this shot (even though I printed three) because the third lost bits off the legs in transport. Bottlecap for scale; these are really not very large at all and the limbs are very thin. I am glad I had the foresight to print three. Hopefully at least one will arrive at @helpfulnerd's unharmed!

Name:	DET_1897-edit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	817.3 KB 
ID:	504057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DET_1901-edit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	944.2 KB 
ID:	504058
    A couple detail shots.

Name:	DET_1875-edit.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	504056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DET_1872-edit.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	504055

Name:	DET_1878-edit.jpg 
Size:	984.6 KB 
ID:	504060
    The rest of the box (the parts I have) assembled.
  11. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 21, 2015, 2:53 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #61

inkblot said: View Post
    The print job arrived earlier today; unfortunately it looks like one of the parts was erroneously printed and sent out, so I'm currently missing the bottom of the cage. Hopefully I'll be able to get that sent out soon!

In the mean time, here are a few shots:

Name:	DET_1870-edit.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	504054
    Two in this shot (even though I printed three) because the third lost bits off the legs in transport. Bottlecap for scale; these are really not very large at all and the limbs are very thin. I am glad I had the foresight to print three. Hopefully at least one will arrive at @helpfulnerd's unharmed!

Name:	DET_1897-edit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	817.3 KB 
ID:	504057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DET_1901-edit.jpg 
Size:	944.2 KB 
ID:	504058
    A couple detail shots.

Name:	DET_1875-edit.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	504056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DET_1872-edit.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	504055

Name:	DET_1878-edit.jpg 
Size:	984.6 KB 
ID:	504060
    The rest of the box (the parts I have) assembled.
    inkblot, this is so cool. I can't wait to start assembling this part. I took a nap and woke up to this update. I'm so excited!

I'm doing some more work on the glove tonight, getting my work shop organized so I can focus on this build from now until DragonCon.

I'll be working on the "Dial A Demon" part tonight as well as some of the vacuum tube parts. Basically gonna see how far I can get between now and Aug 1st.

I read your write up on your blog, good stuff - which reminds me that I need to also post an update to my blog with my progress so far too.

Thanks for all your hard work on these parts!
  12. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 21, 2015, 5:10 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #62

Did some test fitting of the "Dial A Demon" parts and the leather that wraps around the arm tube above the spinning gear.

Starting to take more shape. Have to finish the graphics for the dial a demon gauge and then some paint for the gauge rim and then I can start assembling.

Moving onto some more leather work for behind the hand, the leather that goes under the vineagroon cage as well some other detailed bits for the back of the hand.

More pics soon, now back to work.

Name:	test ftting the dial a demon pieces.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	504152
    Last edited by helpfulnerd; Jul 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM.
  13. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 23, 2015, 8:04 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #63

@inkblot made a video of the scorpion cage parts that I commissioned her for.

Sadly a major part didn't arrive. but that was Shapeways fault, not hers.

But, the good news is that she made this awesome video showing progress regarding the other parts that DID arrive.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/QEprkbicNxo

It's coming together, and the parts are looking great so far!
  14. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 3, 2015, 10:34 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #64

I got my parts from inkblot today. I started sanding, priming and painting the scoripion box as it's been called in other threads.

Waiting on some more parts from Shapeways including the one that they forgot to print and send out.

Name:	2015-08-03 20.08.55.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	510110

Name:	2015-08-03 20.59.45.jpg 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	510114

Name:	2015-08-03 21.00.49.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	510115

That's it for now.
    From
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Aug 4, 2015, 3:43 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #65

This i so cool.
    When i first saw the build of Adam, and the thread he made with the others i was like: I'll never be able to build something like that.
    But seeing what you're doing, this is awesome

I might even try it myself (after my other projects =D)
  16. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 5, 2015, 2:05 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #66

dhunpael said: View Post
    This i so cool.
    When i first saw the build of Adam, and the thread he made with the others i was like: I'll never be able to build something like that.
    But seeing what you're doing, this is awesome

I might even try it myself (after my other projects =D)
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

I have to admit that I was also intimidated by not only the detail of a piece like this, but that Adam made such an awesome version.

Then I realized that I could put my own creative spin on it.

Let me know if you have any questions about parts, feel free to PM me. I'll be doing a parts run at some point later this year, probably cast resin kits for different main parts of the glove, but that's down the road.

And if you decide to tackle your own mecha-glove send me the link to your build thread.

I'll have more updates soon. I'm trying to have this complete for DragonCon, I'll be doing a cosplay of Rasputin from the portal scene.
  17. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 22, 2015, 6:13 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #67

Did some more work on the "dial a demon" part this morning.

Name:	2015-08-22 06.02.35.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	518170

Name:	2015-08-22 06.04.04.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	518224

Today is all about making progress on the mecha-glove so I'll be posting more updates soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-22 06.03.24.jpg 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	518171  
    Last edited by helpfulnerd; Aug 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
    From
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Aug 22, 2015, 10:06 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #68

seems like it's going great
    keep posting
  19. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 22, 2015, 12:25 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #69

dhunpael said: View Post
    seems like it's going great
    keep posting
    Thanks!

If this was a radio station it would be "Your listening to Mecha-Glove 101.5, All mecha-glove, all the time"

I have a rare full day in my shop, so I'll be posting more pics through out the day.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    Aug 22, 2015, 9:21 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #70

This is looking great! I didn't know this was going on. I'll put up some reference.
  21. RPF Premium Member
    Aug 22, 2015, 9:30 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #71

Name:	IMG_4246.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	518452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4243.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	518453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4238.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	518454

Here, in order, are patterns for the top and bottom leather of the tube (6" diameter) and exploded drawings of the hand and the back-of-the-hand scorpion case. (vinegaroon case I know). More coming. I did lots of drawings.

For size that's a standard width belt in the first photo, I did all the grommet work on it myself (with 1/8" eyelets, antique finish- the same finish I had on my palm grommets) and both pieces of leather have about 1/2" of overlap.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	small leather reference.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	518455
    this is a very good reference for all the leather, in scale to each other. There may be some artifacts when it's all sized correctly, but it's darned close. Can't wait to see how these progress!
  22. RPF Premium Member ultraman's Avatar
    Aug 22, 2015, 9:47 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #72

oh SNAP adam just joined in lol
  23. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 22, 2015, 10:14 PM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #73

asavage said: View Post
    This is looking great! I didn't know this was going on. I'll put up some reference.
    Mr. Savage, thanks sir! I do believe that you did post on this thread awhile back though.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMG_4246.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	518452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4243.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	518453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4238.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	518454

Here, in order, are patterns for the top and bottom leather of the tube (6" diameter) and exploded drawings of the hand and the back-of-the-hand scorpion case. (vinegaroon case I know). More coming. I did lots of drawings.

For size that's a standard width belt in the first photo, I did all the grommet work on it myself (with 1/8" eyelets, antique finish- the same finish I had on my palm grommets) and both pieces of leather have about 1/2" of overlap.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	small leather reference.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	518455
    this is a very good reference for all the leather, in scale to each other. There may be some artifacts when it's all sized correctly, but it's darned close. Can't wait to see how these progress!
    Thanks for these references. I'm going in a slightly different direction for this version for my cosplay at DragonCon....BUT....I will be tackling a screen accurate version after D'Con and this reference is going to come in very handy.

Things are getting painted tonight, more work has been done on the lower arm tube, and I'm going to try to get the main glove attached tonight. Two weeks to go until DragonCon. Lots to do.
  24. RPF Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2015, 12:22 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #74

Are you going with a robe?
  25. RPF Premium Member helpfulnerd's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 23, 2015, 12:59 AM - Re: On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build #75

Are you going with a robe?
    Yep, I'm gonna start working on the robe this next week. I lead a bearded lifestyle but I'm trimming it a bit, cleaning it up. I also shaved my head a month ago, to get some sun on my head. I gotta cut it again before DragonCon. And of course I will have the Mecha-Glove.

I gotta watch the movie again to practice my pose and practice my "I'm opening a portal to the agdu jihad" face.

My buddy @KJC and I'll be in costume on Friday as Rasputin and Kroenen.