On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build

I finished the rest of the finger tips and got them added to the main glove.

added finger tips to main glove 1.jpgadded finger tips to main glove 2.jpg

Here's some more updates on the mecha-glove project and some cool news.

First some cool news.

About 4 months ago I decided to create a "maker space" in my neighborhood. For now it's more of a club and we meet once per month to have a show and tell for our projects. The maker space / club is called Kirkwood Makers.

This past Sat I took part in a design festival called Designorama at a local High School. I got to setup a table and show off the projects that I'm working on. It was a lot of fun. I took my first cosplay and some prop projects and it went over really well!

my first booth.jpg

The kids (and their parents) enjoyed trying on the helmet of my costume.

20150321_160808.jpg20150321_160734.jpg

The 501st was there too!

20150321_154825.jpg

And the kids where having fun with my EVA foam "Hand Cannon" prop from the game Destiny. Boys will be boys. :D

20150321_151651.jpg

Ok, so now time for some mecha-glove updates!

1. I finished with the bondo and spot putty. Going to find a good way to make the motivator and spinning gear look like metal. I have some ideas, but still thinking about it.
2. Cut out part of the main lower arm tube section where the belt connects
3. Added some leather to the top edge of the main arm tube section.
4. Added some leather to the thumb section of the main glove
5. Cut out the holes where some of the greeblies will get attached on the upper leather piece
6. And I cut out the leather and started adding grommets to the palm leather piece for the main hand part of the glove.

Check out the pics:

primed spinning gear and motivator.jpgleather on the thumb.jpgleather added to top of arm tube.jpgdone with bondo.jpgadded gromets to palm leather.jpgupper leather cut out.jpg

a good deal at lowes.jpg

Also snagged a really cool air compressor connectors kit at Lowes that was on sale

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone else has a kitchen counter like this that is a dumping ground for materials, tools and gloves. LOL :lol I know I'm not the only one.

im not the only one.jpg

I've had a busy week. Hope you all are well and thanks for reading!

More updates to come!

Omigod I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Please keep updating this thread. I can't wait to see the finished item. PM me should you need any questions answered.

Omigod I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Please keep updating this thread. I can't wait to see the finished item. PM me should you need any questions answered.

Thanks Adam! I'll definitely be updating this thread on a regular basis, as I'm using my version of the mecha-clove for a Rasputin cosplay for DragonCon this year.

For some of the metal parts I might be using the metal HVAC tape. I was thinking about the spinning gear and motivator today then I remembered the wooden swords episode on Tested :D

I'll have more pics in a day or two with updates. Stay tuned folks!

Uk cave man how's your build going?

hadn't heard much from ya since the middle of Feb. How's your work stuff going?

Before I crash out for the night I'm doing some more work on the "spinning gear" and "motivator body". I'll post pics when I'm done.

Can't wait to see more progress on your end too! :D

stay classy.jpg

i figured adam savage would pop on this thread lol

his hell boy glove is killer....i was going to suggest watching the video from tested but i see you are fully aware of it!

i look forward to seeing this come together! thanks for sharing.

I decided to go with foil HVAC tape for the spinning gear and motivator.

I finished the motivator and started adding tape to the spinning gear.

More pics to come.

I have to be up again in 4 hours. G'night :sleep

foil tape 3.jpgfoil tape 2.jpgfoil tape 4.jpgfoil tape 1.jpg

i figured adam savage would pop on this thread lol

his hell boy glove is killer....i was going to suggest watching the video from tested but i see you are fully aware of it!

i look forward to seeing this come together! thanks for sharing.

Adam's mecha-glove is amazing :D

Thanks for the kind words ultraman. I also need to pop on over to the John Wick coin thread and catch up on those posts.

OH and finally my thread has hit the 2 page mark. There will be many more. I still have lots to do and only 6 months 'til DragonCon.

And now I'm really going to bed. :lol famous last words.

Uk cave man how's your build going?

hadn't heard much from ya since the middle of Feb. How's your work stuff going?

Before I crash out for the night I'm doing some more work on the "spinning gear" and "motivator body". I'll post pics when I'm done.

Can't wait to see more progress on your end too! :D

View attachment 456256

hi yeah things have been bit slow here as had other things taking over but will have something to post up soon as done some reworking on bits. Will get it up as soon as possible.

Been working more on the spinning gear today and I got far enough to add a piece of brass into one of the window sections.

Uk cave man - I have extra of the brass that I'm using if you need any, or if anyone else could use some PM me. I don't mind sharing extra "whatnots".

spinning gear with brass faceplate.jpg

On my list for this evening:

1. Cut out the lower section of leather that goes around the bottom of the main arm tube
2. Cut up the other ladies boot to get the leather ready for the fingers
3. Do some sanding and cleanup on the "Cage" that I had 3D printed

Happy Friday-eve eveyone!
Joshua

Uk cave man - I have extra of the brass that I'm using if you need any, or if anyone else could use some PM me. I don't mind sharing extra "whatnots".

Thanks for offer only problem is I'm in UK and think the postage would be too hight I could prob get some here cheeper. Don't mean any offence by that it's nice that you offered but working to tight budget.
looked into getting the cage 3d printed too but again would cost too must to get someone in UK to design and print it for me. Gona make my own like the rest of the glove to keep it all matching.

Last edited:
Ok well as I'd said before I've done some reworking. Once I had finished my finger tips and went to attach them to the glove I found that they was too small. This got me down and wasn't sure now what to do. Then when out shopping I found this drinks bottle and the lid called out to me.
image.jpg
So I left the shop with 5 of them and ready to get going again. (I'd like to point out that I did pay for them before leaving the shop) I remade the spindles
image.jpg

And put them all together

image.jpg

Then rushed ahead and put the straight on the glove. Once this was done I could see the rest of the glove in my head and I'm lots happier about the whole thing.

image.jpg

The he rest will be coming soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for offer only problem is I'm in UK and think the postage would be too hight I could prob get some here cheeper. Don't mean any offence by that it's nice that you offered but working to tight budget.
looked into getting the cage 3d printed too but again would cost too must to get someone in UK to design and print it for me. Gona make my own like the rest of the glove to keep it all matching.

No worries. I'm making one mecha-glove (at least for now) so I'm not going to horde the extra parts. But I understand the shipping costs.

Ok well as I'd said before I've done some reworking. Once I had finished my finger tips and went to attach them to the glove I found that they was too small. This got me down and wasn't sure now what to do. Then when out shopping I found this drinks bottle and the lid called out to me.
View attachment 456770
So I left the shop with 5 of them and ready to get going again. (I'd like to point out that I did pay for them before leaving the shop) I remade the spindles
View attachment 456771

And put them all together

View attachment 456772

Then rushed ahead and put the straight on the glove. Once this was done I could see the rest of the glove in my head and I'm lots happier about the whole thing.

View attachment 456775

The he rest will be coming soon.

Nice! That's looking great. The finger tips came out awesome! Can't wait to see what else you come up with. :D

I'll likely make the pieces I modelled available up on Shapeways again, but I'm hoping to get a bit more input on the pieces before moving forward.

As I mentioned before, the part was sent as pieces to Helpfulnerd and there were some issues with the dome piece (which is my fault) being not flat on the bottom. I also worry that certain edges may be too thin (particularly where the screw holes meet the edge on the dome piece).

So for now, I'm thinking it may be better to fuse as many pieces as possible together (IE: The outside pieces, then allow the interior cylinder to be inserted separately, along with a spring, which the part needs anyway), which would allow the overall shape to strengthen that spot just by nature of it no longer being super-thin.

Thoughts?

Also, regarding shipping, it's possible you could have it printed through Shapeways and have it not be as costly, since they have an office in the Netherlands.

coming along nicely, its good you made it your own not screen accurate shows originality also for ideas see http://www.therpf.com/f24/rasputins-mecha-gloves-seed-destruction-comic-233448/ he did a comic book version of the glove

Thanks!

I'll check out that thread too. I love to see what others have done!

My concept is to make what I can with what I have. And I'm very happy with what I've done so far.

By the way I love your avatar! Very appropriate for my build! :lol

Joshua

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back