The X-Files to return to TV! - I WANT TO BELIEVE

The Terminator

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nothing has been set in stone but one could be hopeful. David & Gillian's already said multiple times that they would love to do more movie/s, so they would hopefully return :D

LINKS
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/17/the-x-files-may-return-to-television

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files

Now if only one could get a hold of Mulder's poster. Twin Peaks is coming back, Heroes as well and a few others(hopefully 24 will be back again). I am seeing a trend and I'm liking what I see :)

"David Duchovny Excited for FOX's Potential X-Files Revival"
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/21/david-duchovny-excited-for-foxs-potential-x-files-revival

Last edited:
I used to own a replica of Mulder's office poster (not the knock off one with the wrong ufo)-

attachment.php

Part of the "freebies" I got being a member of the X-Files fan club back in the mid-nineties. This was the same as the poster in his office from (I think) the 3rd or 4th season on. Unfortunately I didn't keep it and sold it on ebay over a decade ago.

I was an X-Files nut back then. You should see my "mission briefcase." ;)

Kevin

Attachments

• Ebay pics 004.jpg
    Ebay pics 004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 772
I always felt like the concept had about two seasons in it, not much more. Too much for a movie but not enough for a multi-year series.

The whole govt/alien topic is potentially interesting fiction, but IMO writers/producers usually go too cheap & sensational with it.

Amen!!

Man did that show go off the rails the last 4 seasons, it was like a bad joke! :lol

If they can capture the brilliance of the first five seasons I'm all for it. :)

Unfortunately the two movies and the last four seasons don't give me much hope. :(

I didn't mind the first movie... I just felt it was to integrated with the show and should've been an anthology episode.

My my issue with the show was I don't think there was ever a plan. The questions were always more interesting than the answers. Eventually it was a jumbled mess that was only more complicated by Duchovny's departure. It was really the chemistry between Anderson and Duchovny that made the show.

The second movie really failed to capture what made the show great in the beginning. The charm was lost. And due to most viewers falling off in the last few seasons (myself included) it didn't work so well to see Mulder and Scully no longer with the bureau.

Not sure how bringing back the series would do. They'd really need to get them back on the FBI. But obviously the 2012 invasion never happened and cigarette smoking man is gone. I almost think it should mostly be written by fans of the original and keep Chris Carter's influence at a minimum. People that could get it back to basics rather than the convoluted mess it became....

You outlined perfectly good reasons for NOT bringing it back. :lol

They never thought the show would become what it did, but at the end of the 5th season no way in hell was Fox gonna lose that Ad money greedy bastids!

I didn't mind the first movie... I just felt it was to integrated with the show and should've been an anthology episode.

My my issue with the show was I don't think there was ever a plan. The questions were always more interesting than the answers. Eventually it was a jumbled mess that was only more complicated by Duchovny's departure. It was really the chemistry between Anderson and Duchovny that made the show.

The second movie really failed to capture what made the show great in the beginning. The charm was lost. And due to most viewers falling off in the last few seasons (myself included) it didn't work so well to see Mulder and Scully no longer with the bureau.

Not sure how bringing back the series would do. They'd really need to get them back on the FBI. But obviously the 2012 invasion never happened and cigarette smoking man is gone. I almost think it should mostly be written by fans of the original and keep Chris Carter's influence at a minimum. People that could get it back to basics rather than the convoluted mess it became....

At its best, it was awesome. "They found your bleeping UFO."

But the bees, the alien rebels, the hybrids, the black goo, the super soldiers - to repeat, the super soldiers, - it went all to hell. The plot was about as muddy as Lost. I didn't even see the second film, and I'm a huge Billy Connolly fan.

If they made a mini-series, or a tightly planned one season series, I could get excited - OK, maybe not excited, more like "not repulsed."

Oh man would I love it if it came back and was good. Like many above just afraid they would go all crazy on a new story arc that sounded better (questions) than it ended (answers).

The idea of a small mini series or a one shot season sounds very good also - I think about that HBO shows True Detective that kind of format.

im a big fan of x-files up til mulder got replaced. first movie was great, second was uh o.k. The only way I see it happening is if "californication" and "the fall" are ending. no way fox is gonna invest in this if they cant get there "2"-6" main characters "locked" in. mulder, scully, skinner, and the lone gunmen :p fox does not play well with other's. look at S.A.A.B. and the hit "DIE HARD" morgan and wong were the great writers for x-files and wanted to "move on" and created "S.A.A.B." and fox sabotaged it to get them back. "fox" ACTUALLY charged ITSELF for money's to shoot die hard at the fox building. sooooo yeah not holding my breath.

If A & D are onboard and if they keep the storyline focused instead of digging ever deeper holes in more places, it might be good. Let's not forget bringing back the likes of Mitch Pileggi as well. I don't really blame CC for the awful decline of the last couple of seasons since the show was run by others at that point. (I actually don't mind Agent Doggett. He was a good character, played well by Patrick.)

It wasn't just the change in story-direction that ruined it though. The entire production design changed. They went from the slightly goofy (but fitting) synthesizer score to an awful and depressing symphonic one with nothing but oboes, clarinets and violins. They also changed the color grading and tried to make California look like foggy Vancouver by adding grit and contrast. Instead of being fun and exciting, everything became depressing. (Ironic, considering that Millennium was going on at the same time and that CC was focused on that.)

With that in mind, it's a bit worrying that they are talking about making it "adult". True Detective was great, but much too depressive as an X-Files inspiration. The show was great when it mixed the wry, sometimes off-the-wall humor with the seriousness. Cancer Man was both terrifying and laughably over the top at the same time and that's why he was so great, not discounting William B Davis' performance. (This is partly also why I think I loved Californication so much. The mix of seriousness with craziness is something that Duchovny excels at.)

There's also a big risk that "modernizing" the show will kill its charm. When The X-Files first aired, television was very different- so much more naive.

It wasn't just the change in story-direction that ruined it though. The entire production design changed. They went from the slightly goofy (but fitting) synthesizer score to an awful and depressing symphonic one with nothing but oboes, clarinets and violins. They also changed the color grading and tried to make California look like foggy Vancouver by adding grit and contrast. Instead of being fun and exciting, everything became depressing. (Ironic, considering that Millennium was going on at the same time and that CC was focused on that.)

With that in mind, it's a bit worrying that they are talking about making it "adult". True Detective was great, but much too depressive as an X-Files inspiration. The show was great when it mixed the wry, sometimes off-the-wall humor with the seriousness. Cancer Man was both terrifying and laughably over the top at the same time and that's why he was so great, not discounting William B Davis' performance. (This is partly also why I think I loved Californication so much. The mix of seriousness with craziness is something that Duchovny excels at.)

There's also a big risk that "modernizing" the show will kill its charm. When The X-Files first aired, television was very different- so much more naive.

That was something else that really bothered me in latter seasons. Everything from the look, music and story lines became so dark and serious. One of the things I loved in X-Files was the fact that it wasn't always so serious and didn't always take itself so seriously. It was willing to experiment with story telling in a fun way. You'd never get a gag in later seasons like a cockroach running across the screen or episodes like Bad Blood, Jose Chung's or The Post-Modern Prometheus (yeah, I would argue that seasons 1-6 were still great while 7 on is where it fell apart).

One thing I find kind of funny is that when the show was running, I felt the anthology episodes were more filler while I was more interested in the mythology episodes. Now when I feel like watching an episode of X-Files, I turn on an anthology episode because I'm less interested in the convoluted mess the mythology became. Honestly, I lost interest in the last few seasons to where I'm not even sure how the show ended. I only know that there was supposed to be some sort of invasion in 2012...

How about the wonderful handling of the will-they-won't-they plot arc! They ended up together... kinda... but not really... or maybe. They had a child without having sex and it was just implied everywhere that they were "together" but you never saw it onscreen. Even in the latest movie, their relationship is "stale" for the lack of a better word. (I'm fine with them ending up together, or not, but some form of actual payoff or proper acknowledgement would have been nice. And that payoff wouldn't have to be Snu-Snu either.)

The show was shot on film, so if they're going to sink money into the X-Files i'd much rather see a new transfer of the original series on HD Blu-Ray.

I still haven't seen the last two seasons :p
They started airing the show on a weird time slot here in Sweden at that point.

The show was shot on film, so if they're going to sink money into the X-Files i'd much rather see a new transfer of the original series on HD Blu-Ray.

They have already converted the show to HD! :D BUT they still haven't said anything about releasing it on bluray :(
They're just airing it on a hdtv channel. Here are some comparison shots!

DVD / HD

4iBf1gY.jpg 483F7bY.jpg bk2eVBW.jpg BNz8Ijp.jpg

m9QXy2E.jpg PRX3b4F.jpg sRKeydo.jpg wrK5NBR.jpg

I don't really like the fact that they cut off the top and bottom to make it widescreen :facepalm

or The Post-Modern Prometheus (yeah, I would argue that seasons 1-6 were still great while 7 on is where it fell apart).

rTKqXVr.jpg DxVbLSg.jpg bNmDF6Q.jpg XpljnVh.jpg

They have already converted the show to HD!

That's a pretty significant improvement, but it looks like they went and did a "Buffy" with the aspect ratio change. I hope they haven't messed it up like they did with that show. (They reframed shots and introduced a lot of continuity errors... crew visible in certain scenes and so on.)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back