The X-Files to return to TV! - I WANT TO BELIEVE

i thought there wasn't a season 2 planned?! if there isn't and we are left with this ending boy... am i disappointed

Well, they did state "Season Finale" and and not series finale. It definitely felt like the typical cliff-hanger we are all accustomed to. Remember TNG Best of Both Worlds cliff-hanger, it felt just like that. I'm pretty sure more is to come, hopefully.

Or, for that matter, Anasazi in Season 2.

I didn't watch the new stuff, aside from the first episode, but to be honest, I'm not in the least bit surprised they pulled this crap. I knew Carter wouldn't wrap it up. I freakin' knew it.

Or, for that matter, Anasazi in Season 2.

I didn't watch the new stuff, aside from the first episode, but to be honest, I'm not in the least bit surprised they pulled this crap. I knew Carter wouldn't wrap it up. I freakin' knew it.

It was announced as an "event", it was promised to completely clear up the mythology, but from what I heard, about half-way through the process, Carter decided he wanted to keep it going. All he's done is guaranteed I'll never watch another episode. You don't make promises to your fans and then give them the finger.

Are you new to the series? Because my understanding is that's EXACTLY what he did the first time around. "I promise I'll answer all the --- HAHAHA JUST KIDDING!!!!!"

I honestly think he doesn't KNOW the answers, and that's why he never bothers to answer the questions he raises.

cnn.com - "Creator Chris Carter told The Hollywood Reporter, "The X-Files traditionally ended with a cliffhanger, and we didn't want to do anything different.

"This just happens to be a very big cliffhanger," he said. "I have an idea of where the story goes."

And fans can take heart, as Carter said Fox wants more episodes of the show. It's just a matter of when.

"Right now I've got another project that I want to do first," he said. "So, for me, it's just a matter of trying to do (The X-Files) when it makes sense and not try to shoehorn something or hit a schedule."

cnn.com - "Creator Chris Carter told The Hollywood Reporter, "The X-Files traditionally ended with a cliffhanger, and we didn't want to do anything different.

"This just happens to be a very big cliffhanger," he said. "I have an idea of where the story goes."

And fans can take heart, as Carter said Fox wants more episodes of the show. It's just a matter of when.

"Right now I've got another project that I want to do first," he said. "So, for me, it's just a matter of trying to do (The X-Files) when it makes sense and not try to shoehorn something or hit a schedule."

Whatever. Like I said, he has no idea where this story is going or how it ends, and cliffhangers allow him to drag it on further. I fully expect that if and when the X-files gets renewed and then eventually comes to an end, the ending will be every bit as unsatisfying.

"I have an idea of where the story goes."

pls correct me if i'm wrong here, but shouldn't he 'know' where the story goes? and his interview reads to me like, let's let FOX get wind of how much money this will bring in and i'll be having my pay day to make up for the crappy movie years ago.

i want to believe but this is a cop out.

Fear the Walking Dead was a short release with a cliff hanger but fans were able to get into the show in that short breath of air time and are looking forward to the show's return... this stint was all over the place in 6 shows and the first ep., sucked. i was into the 3, 4 and 5 and it poking fun at itself.... but damn

You guys do understand that there is no "end" to the X-Files? That's just the nature of the show. If I remember correctly I had more wtf moments at the end of the first run episodes than I had...."well that was a satisfying ending". And I think that was ok. There was a sense of frustration with many episode conclusions which then turned into water cooler discussions. Twilight Zone style.....a little head scratching never hurt anyone. :)

Remember the last time we saw that big triangle UFO over someone's car? The car blew up. Mulder & Scully blew up. The End.

i agree............................

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files/39053/the-x-files-episode-6-review-my-struggle-ii

Several seconds after the promo, My Struggle II, The X-Files season finale, started and went on to all but end my curiosity to see what lies beyond this earth. I’ll need several (neck) smoke breaks in between writing this review to muster up a positive outlook on The X-Files revival when it’s bookended by two soul-crushing episodes. The baffling cliffhanger should rightfully be the immediate point of contention among X-Files fans. Yet it doesn’t bother me nearly as much as literally everything that came before it.

Chris Carter’s two-part storyline failed to come together in a coherent way from a conceptual and structural standpoint. The best elements of the uneven premiere—Mulder and Scully having an actual story arc, Roswell, and Mulder’s creepy old informant—are absent from part two. Instead, David Duchovny doesn’t appear long enough to capture a 6.5 second Vine. Gillian Anderson is forced to play a character that vaguely embodies Dana Scully. Monica Reyes’ sorry excuse to return to this show is the worst and I want those scenes stricken from the Blu-ray release. I was actively rooting for Tad O’Malley’s on-screen death to derive any pleasure from the episode. Poor William B. Davis was hit with a ****** missile and had to live to see this episode come to fruition. CSM, an all-time great villain, deserved better. We all deserved better.

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were teasing fans with hints of more X-Files during the episode so there’s that. You have to assume Carter was beyond confident more X-Files would be in order when he decided to gut all the fun 'aliens taking over the world' stuff for humans inevitably destroying the planet while our extraterrestrial neighbours to the north just watched. It becomes all the more surprising considering they wrapped production long before the two-night season premiere proved to be ratings gold. What if the ratings bombed from the second episode out?

The original series finale, The Truth, was scrutinized for its lack of question answering, but I’ll take that over a handholding plot any day. I came into My Struggle hoping I wouldn’t be watching The X-Files live for the final time. In my immediate rage, I was questioning whether I even want to see more episodes. I’ve enjoyed and will defend the middle episodes of the revival.

This one, though, broke me, leaving you nothing but the musings of a mad man.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys do understand that there is no "end" to the X-Files? That's just the nature of the show. If I remember correctly I had more wtf moments at the end of the first run episodes than I had...."well that was a satisfying ending". And I think that was ok. There was a sense of frustration with many episode conclusions which then turned into water cooler discussions. Twilight Zone style.....a little head scratching never hurt anyone. :)

This is different IMO in that most of those wtf episodes, you know, ended, just without the answer you or they wanted. This, this didn't end. It wasn't the end of that story without a satisfying conclusion. There WAS NO CONCLUSION. It ended mid story. Not mid mythology, it'll always likely be mid-mytholgy - it ended in the middle of the episodes story.

So an intentional cliff hanger to help promote and maybe even build interest for the next season? I think sometimes stories are written like this for reasons outside of completing a storyline.

See, I don't buy that. I think that's post hoc, ergo propter hoc thinking. I can understand that the "search for the truth" can be a lifelong quest. But the TV show was always built around setting up a mystery with the implication that, eventually, an answer would be forthcoming. The thing is, I don't think Chris Carter is at all interested in answers. He likes asking questions, not answering them. This, ultimately, is the problem with "mystery box" TV shows, especially long-running ones.

Look, the bottom line is simple. You don't write mystery fiction without KNOWING the ****ing end point. You don't write a whodunit WITHOUT KNOWING WHODUNIT. And if you DO know whodunit, you damn sure don't DENY the audience that answer. That's just poor mystery writing. And I've read the synopses online that sorta try to piece together all the bits of the mythology as they were revealed to form some coherent story. And yeah, it seems to kind of hold together...ish. The problem is all of that required a LOT of work on the audience's part to figure it out, and that means the story was poorly told. If the audience has to twist itself in knots to figure out what you were trying to reveal, your story was too obscure. It's not the audience's fault for "not getting it." It's YOUR fault as a writer for not getting how to communicate to your audience.

Sure, there were all manner of wacky episodes that suggested nefarious plots by the government which were being ignored or covered up or whatever. But the central mythology about the aliens, all of that was based NOT on cliffhangers, but on an overarching, driving mystery of WHAT THE EVERLOVING CRAP IS GOING ON?!?! Figuring that out shouldn't rely on reconstructing the series by going back and watching all of the various mythology episodes just to draw some kind of timeline. Ideally, the finale itself should, you know, explain this stuff. Why? Because it's a damn mystery show, and a mystery isn't supposed to end with "Well...it's a mystery, I guess." That's just jerking your audience around, and it is, quite simply, bad writing. It's not highbrow, it's not avant garde, it's not deep. It's just crappy, Freshman-in-film-school writing which, to me, belies an author of middling talent.

So an intentional cliff hanger to help promote and maybe even build interest for the next season? I think sometimes stories are written like this for reasons outside of completing a storyline.

You know what's fun? Try walking up to the former writers and producers of Twin Peaks and saying "Hey guys...How's Annie?"

Bottom line, unless you already know you're going to be renewed, trying to goad the network into renewing you by making a cliffhanger ending doesn't work. Don't believe me? Check out Twin Peaks, Carnivale, and Angel.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back