Tron Legacy Identity Disc - 197 LEDs + light / sound Fx

Sorry to bring this thread back, but this is amazing work! Do you remember what black paint you used after the primer? It looks like a really nice satin black.

I take the flicker of the LEDs is only visible on the video and can't be seen in person as it seems to a property of the WS2812B based LED strips.
Very well done!

while they toys are a great thing to have for doing this, ive never like the fact they are smaller and fatter than the actual screen used ones are. i have however found a pepakura file, well actually ive found a few of them and technically the best one i found is a PDF of sam, kevin, rinzler and clu's discs that are all screen accyurate size thayt im going to be using for my build. the spec list and the beginning of this thread are going to be an immense help to me though. i was actually considering using two neopixel rings i saw on adafruit.com for the inner "C" ring but after seeing yours you just saved me bout 80 dollars in parts

I'm happy to share the arduino code to, if you get a modified version of the CF. Keep in mind though that the modification in the firmware of the CF is designed to match what the arduino does for the lights, so there's little room for customatization there, aside of the lighting behavior / arduino

If you still have the Arduino code, I would be ecstatic if you could share it with me. Thanks

Hi Erv!

Finally I'm replying to this thread. Thank you for sharing all this and taking the time to answer questions!
Hopefully my conversion will be done soon too :)

Hello ERV,

I know, this threat is probably forgotten, but I have a question about the project,

by the way, it's an excellent job !!!!

My questions are the following:

What kind of LED strip did you use ??? Neopixel ??? chip ws2812 or ws2812b ???

What is the distribution of the LEDs? I imagine it is 144 leds / m

How many LEDs are in the outer ring and how many in the inner rings?

there is some link where I can download your arduino code, to be able to consult the handling of the led's

Sorry for these questions at a late moment, but it is the first time I see this project, and I looked for all the information about it but I did not find concrete answers to my questions.

Thank you very much for your support and congratulations again
for such an excellent job

Best Regards

Those were probably WS2812 I think (I can't remember what chipset adafruit was carrying at that time), in 144 led / m. For the distribution, there's a total of 196 (IIRC) pixels, C ring is made of 2 strips of 48 leds each (ish) and about 100 leds for the outter ring, or something in that ballpark.
Make sure check Ricor's build he made after mine, he has published his code so that you can make something very similar to mine using arduino and shields !

Perfect, thanks for the information.

I am Mexican, unfortunately the strips of neopixel of 144 leds / m are difficult to achieve, I will have to do tests with strips of 60 leds / m,

I have already reviewed the information of Ricor's and I have already solved the topic of the electronics, using arduino nano, accelerometer and wav player for audio.

I just saw that your code handled excellent the light effects for the identity disc and wanted to compare both codes to get the best of both worlds jejejejejej.

best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
144 leds/m are all over the place, really. Pre made and cheap. Ricors used my arduino code for the visual effects, as mentioned in his thread, so you'll just get the same thing !

Greetings Folks

well, at the moment i´ll stay reading the RiCor blog about the construccion of the identity Disc...
A lot of information, a lot of knowledge, a lot of work, alot of doubts, but... in this world what are not ????? jejejejej
I buyed the NovaStar sound font's in the Saberfonts web, but its only sound efect's, and i'm askingme, in the erv video of the identity Disc i see the menues have sound...

that sounds are ripped by you ERV or downloaded of some site particularily ??????

by the way, the Neopixel 144/m are coming, but I have to wait about a month to have them in my hands!!!!

Best Regards...

the vocal menu is working with the Crystal Focus board that is in my disk, I made the sounds. The audio track played at some point in the videos by the board audio player is the Movie original track (daft punk).

oh I see, just for asking...
would you share those sounds ?????

mainly sounds for the name of the font.wav

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back