Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

Would explain how the canister pouch attaches, but I'm pretty sure you can see the leather of the relay pouch looping around behind the relay. Unless there's a slit/slits near the centre of the pouch?

Not sure that would be useful though.

Would explain how the canister pouch attaches, but I'm pretty sure you can see the leather of the relay pouch looping around behind the relay. Unless there's a slit/slits near the centre of the pouch?

Not sure that would be useful though.

I'm going to experiment on some scrap but I would I shine they're set in a bit to get around them. Just a thought but I want to try it out. I used some 3oz leather and even skived it down a bit and they still didn't get as crisp on the edges even wet molded. Though the Ann pouches look wafer thin

This leather is still a bit thick but it looks like it might be possible 9426961E-B50D-4735-BCC2-6DEB0750395D.jpeg

Could explain the design change to the stitched pouches. I’m thinking they had issues with them and that is why they switched. I mean if they’re glued they could come off if they’re tugged on too much, yes? And since ANH rig hasn’t been on tour I’m guessing it’s too much work for the replicas at those shows and exhibits.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

As Davy mentioned, we had a good chat about all things holsters and after seeing that detailed photo I am convinced that it is, as he and others have said, separate pouches.

I have adjusted the pattern accordingly.

Now that I see that detailed shot, I think that the canister was glued on like the rest. How I feel it was done was, if you look at the sepia version above, you can see near the bottom how it doesn't seem to curve around the canister. It seems to continue straight down from the sides, where I think it takes a 90 degree turn inwards and the flaps are glued in. There is likely a gap between the two flaps to allow the canister to sit flush with the belt.

Great information and much appreciation to Davy for sharing. It still floors me to this day that all these years later there is still new information to be learned.

I made a quick version of the pouches to show how copper rivets could be used to hold the pouches in place. This would be a lot more secure than gluing them down and is very easy to do. Still a lot of work to do on the pouch patterns but I really believe this is how the original belt was done.

20181015_183214.jpg 20181015_183118.jpg 20181015_182954.jpg

I made a quick version of the pouches to show how copper rivets could be used to hold the pouches in place. This would be a lot more secure than gluing them down and is very easy to do. Still a lot of work to do on the pouch patterns but I really believe this is how the original belt was done.

Looks cool. However, unless there is evidence to show otherwise, I don't think it was riveted.

The leather weight on the Episode 4 pouches is quite thin. Rivets would create a very small contact point that I don't think would hold with rivets. As you can see by your example, that would create a pretty small surface area and because the leather is so thin, I don' t feel it would have the rigidity to hold.

Leather glue is quite strong. For example, many normal belts are made by glueing two sides together and people often wear out before belts do. The glue would also assure that the edges stayed down and weren't lifted away from the belt when the wearer put it on - we would likely see gaps as the belt was bent.

Also, as I mentioned, I am fairly certain in the sepia drawings that the leather does not curve around the canister, but continues straight. Like so...

CanisterTest.png

It might curve in slightly under the canister, but not much.

Are there any pictures that show the back of the belt in any way?

While leather-grade contact cement like Barge can yield a very strong permanent bond, I don't think it would be sufficient in this case. There's very little surface area for the cement to bond with and a grain-to-grain connection is much less reliable compared to flesh-to-flesh (backside of the leather).

Considering the tensions on those pouches I would guess that cement alone is not enough to keep them in place. It would be fairly simple (and common practice) to reinforce the glue bonds with a couple short rows of stitching. I think that would give the desired visual result and also make sure the pouches don't fall off.

And Crazylegsmurphy, the way you have the canister pouch pictured would be perfect for just running a quick line of glue to hold it in place and then hand-stitch down each side to permanently secure.

Last edited by a moderator:

While leather-grade contact cement like Barge can yield a very strong permanent bond, I don't think it would be sufficient in this case. There's very little surface area for the cement to bond with and a grain-to-grain connection is much less reliable compared to flesh-to-flesh (backside of the leather).

Considering the tensions on those pouches I would guess that cement alone is not enough to keep them in place. It would be fairly simple (and common practice) to reinforce the glue bonds with a couple short rows of stitching. I think that would give the desired visual result and also make sure the pouches don't fall off.

And @Crazylegsmurphy, the way you have the canister pouch pictured would be perfect for just running a quick line of glue to hold it in place and then hand-stitch down each side to permanently secure.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you sew inside such a tight space through such thick material? I get that you start from behind, but is there a special curved needle or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you sew inside such a tight space through such thick material? I get that you start from behind, but is there a special curved needle or something?

Right - curved needle helps a lot. Also, you can punch the holes on the belt side first then use an diamond awl to break through the pouch side after gluing. Or you could even punch the holes on both the pouch and belt first then make sure they're aligned when gluing.

I like using diamond chisels to pre-punch my holes so that they are all even and equidistant. And then saddle stitch, which is a two needle sewing technique.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-5-6mm-...a5cd1b75b:m:myPCdDuHPJglxTkKfYoNooQ:rk:3:pf:0

Right - curved needle helps a lot. Also, you can punch the holes on the belt side first then use an diamond awl to break through the pouch side after gluing. Or you could even punch the holes on both the pouch and belt first then make sure they're aligned when gluing.

I like using diamond chisels to pre-punch my holes so that they are all even and equidistant. And then saddle stitch, which is a two needle sewing technique.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-5-6mm-...a5cd1b75b:m:myPCdDuHPJglxTkKfYoNooQ:rk:3:pf:0

Yeah, I used those hole punches and saddle stitching on my holster, I'm just a bit baffled by working with a needle inside such a tiny pouch. It looks to me like there wouldn't be enough room to pull the needle through. I can't quite visualise how even a curved needle wold manoeuvre in there ... but I'm happy to admit I have (almost) no experience and am basically clueless.

Clueless, but curious!

And @Crazylegsmurphy, the way you have the canister pouch pictured would be perfect for just running a quick line of glue to hold it in place and then hand-stitch down each side to permanently secure.

As far as I know, there are no images of the back. I may be wrong and of course if there is evidence to the contrary, I would change my mind.

In this case, I think glue is more than satisifactory for what it is. These are props, not wearable holsters that are intended for everyday use. They need to last only as long as production and can be, and often were repaired multiple times on set.

There may be additional reenforcement on the pouches. You are more than welcome to add in additional stitching or rivets, but for the pattern I am trying very hard to not introduce elements that I can't verify. We also know that this belt was used in Episode V, so the greeblies were not permanently attached. They may have been glued or taped in place for filming though.

attachment.jpgimage.jpg

Here are a couple photos I found where you can kind of see some of the back. In the second photo you can see how the holster attaches to the leg piece.

In the first photo you see the back side of the pouch next to the droid caller. Doesn't look like there are any rivets there. Not conclusive about stitching.

For the guide, definitely make sure to recommend considerably scratching up/sanding down the grain leather surfaces to be glued so they get proper adhesion.

And also - just great work in general putting all this together. I'm super excited to build my own!

There is proof that rivets were used on the pouch near the droid caller on the ESB holster rig that has sewn pouches. They are used to hold the back of the flap in place while the stitches hold the sides down. You can see the rivet in this photo from one of the traveling costume exhibits.

han-solo-holster-screen-accurate-pattern-img_0856-jpg-430560d1422164979.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are a couple photos I found where you can kind of see some of the back. In the second photo you can see how the holster attaches to the leg piece.

In the first photo you see the back side of the pouch next to the droid caller. Doesn't look like there are any rivets there. Not conclusive about stitching.

For the guide, definitely make sure to recommend considerably scratching up/sanding down the grain leather surfaces to be glued so they get proper adhesion.

And also - just great work in general putting all this together. I'm super excited to build my own!

I have those as well and it is frustrating that the pouches were not turned just a bit more to answer the question. I also couldn't see rivets or stitching.

Good call on the scratching of the leather. I'll be sure to add it into the pattern book.

Thanks!

Well now,

I have not seen that behind the scenes photo before, so that is amazing to me. Thanks so much for posting it here.

I am not sure what it clears up or doesn't, I agree with monsieur Murphy about wishing it was turned just a bit more. However we can see some of the back and that helps. I still believe that on ESB the belt seems to be a mix and match affair depending on the shooting location or costume and the traveling roadshow rig is not really that accurate and could have been created just for the exhibit, but that is just my own opinion.

Keep up the great work folks !

I agree that the glue alone seems unlikely. Rivets are fast and strong and like the photo above shows, were used on the lid of the pouch.

I propose that they were riveted but with a long flat “washer” like part or plate to keep the edge sharp. Although if the pouches were wet moulded first it may not have been needed. But the glue alone probably would have failed over the course of filming. While yes many belts are glued, they are just flat on flat and not pertruding with a weight on it in an action movie.

I think if you glue it on and sit down in it, it’s coming off as soon as it touches anything.

Sabs

EDIT

I should reserve my own speculation until further evidence is presented. I am being reminded that I perhaps need to control my own bias and not allow myself to fool myself into thinking I have all the answers. The best I can do is discuss what I can observe. For now, I will cautiously reserve my opinion until I have more info.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back