Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

So, one of the things that I have needed to address eventually has been the lack of rivets on the ANH version of the buckle.

Thanks to Chaim, I have some idea of how this could have been done.

The question is, were the original hooks welded out of two parts, or perhaps bent from one? Based on the images I have, even the higher res ones, I simply have no idea.

Here is an idea I had

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-3.png

Basically, the hook is bent back on itself, then around the leather where it is riveted.

The advantage to this design is that it wouldn't have required any welding, and could have been made out of one single piece of metal. The disadvantages are that you have to rivet before making the bend in the metal, it creates stress points in the metal because they have to be bent so extreme, and it adds a lot of thickness to the hook.

Alternatively...

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-4.png

This is based more on what we see above.

The advantage to this is that it doesn't really add much bulk to the hook, and the bends in the metal would be much less complex. It would also allow for riveting the metal to the leather, and then not having to worry about making additional bends after.

The disadvantage is that it requires extra parts, and extra welding.

Personally, despite the extra bits, and the fact it requires welding. I like the second option better. It seems to be the design that keeps the external look of the hook, but allows for the rivets to be hidden. I would like to know your thoughts, but I think I will add this one into the plans, until of course a better solution is found, or I'm convinced otherwise.

EDIT

A member of another forum suggested that it may have been nothing more than a post. Basically, something like a Chicago screw that was welded to the back of the hook.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-5.png

The top image is the same one posted above, with the only difference being that it is built with the proper measurements, and is more refined.

The second design is based on the suggestion.

The obvious advantage of this is that it is dead simple. Aside from having to weld the post (Chicago screw, etc), there really isn't anything different that needs to be done, or made.

I like it!

Last edited:
I guess they did option 2 for mine but covered with a lot of JB Weld so the sharp edges of the metal won't cut my pants ... however if option 3 works than yes . . . 'KISS' or 'Keep It Simple Stupid' method is prefered . . . however will it be strong enough when trooping with the complete holster set up including a heavy blaster on the hips? Yes most metal blasters are heavy ;)

Chaim

I guess they did option 2 for mine but covered with a lot of JB Weld so the sharp edges of the metal won't cut my pants ... however if option 3 works than yes . . . 'KISS' or 'Keep It Simple Stupid' method is prefered . . . however will it be strong enough when trooping with the complete holster set up including a heavy blaster on the hips? Yes most metal blasters are heavy ;)

Chaim

Good point.

I am trying to keep in mind that not everyone has access to a gritty old blacksmith that can make Dwarf armour and weld belts, and have to use other methods like JB weld.

I added a "support plate" to the pattern based on your recommendation, which is basically just a slightly scaled down version of the hooks, with proper placement for the screws. So, what someone can do is JB weld the screws in place, then place the extra support shape over the screws and then JB weld that.

It will add another layer of bulk to the hook, but it is the easiest compromise I can come up with to assure it has the strength to hold up.

Hope that works.

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Updates

Well, what a week. My hackintosh decided to not boot, requiring me to reinstall the OS like four times. That set me back a few days. Then, I realized when cleaning up the patterns (removing stray points, making sure things lined up and are the correct size), that I had not measured something correctly and had to go back an fix all the instances in which I copied that mistake over and over.

I was able to get back into the swing o' things yesterday, and so I wanted to post this:

Smuggers-Holster-Overview.png

It isn't the most pretty thing, and only about 3/4 of the layers are turned on, but it gives you an idea of everything that will make it into this pattern, and where I am at.

Today I am going to get working on the actual holster. This is where I am most unsure of some of the details, and so I will be looking for feedback soon.

If it all goes well, in the next few days I will be able to put this all together into a printable format, and let you guys have it. :D

Before you start cutting up leather ... try a paper or cloth version first of all the 'leather' parts to make certain your designs are accurate and don't screw up your pretty leathers, yet :)

Chaim

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Buttons

Hello Everyone. Today, we talk buttons.

When you look at these images long enough, your brain starts to realize details that you just assumed were the same. I mean, buttons are buttons, right?

What actually tipped me off was that I was trying to source buttons, and realized that I would have to choose a size. The problem was that the size of my buttons in my pattern, and on the images didn't seem consistent.

So, I decided to fire up Photoshop and see if there was something to this...and this is what I got.

Smuggers-Holster-Buttons.png

Now, as you know I am limited by the images I have available, but I wanted to attempt to see what was going on. I know I've created some bias in you guys already, but I would really like your feedback on these findings.

What size buttons do you think are used on these?

Update

I have some buttons laying around that I am fairly certain are 15.8mm - 5/8" in diameter. I figured I would post this picture for comparison.

Smuggers-Holster-Buttons-2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a thing of beauty, nice work!! You really have done a great job breaking this down into its components and doing an exhaustive analysis.

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Updates

Well, what a week. My hackintosh decided to not boot, requiring me to reinstall the OS like four times. That set me back a few days. Then, I realized when cleaning up the patterns (removing stray points, making sure things lined up and are the correct size), that I had not measured something correctly and had to go back an fix all the instances in which I copied that mistake over and over.

I was able to get back into the swing o' things yesterday, and so I wanted to post this:

View attachment 435280

It isn't the most pretty thing, and only about 3/4 of the layers are turned on, but it gives you an idea of everything that will make it into this pattern, and where I am at.

Today I am going to get working on the actual holster. This is where I am most unsure of some of the details, and so I will be looking for feedback soon.

If it all goes well, in the next few days I will be able to put this all together into a printable format, and let you guys have it. :D

The buttons used on mine are 15 mm in size ... so the ones used in your last picture looks okay to me :)

Chaim

I think the buttons I have would work well for a ROTJ holster, unless I am way off my rocker, It really seems like ANH and ESB used 16mm/0.629" buttons, and the ROTJ used 15mm/0/590" buttons.

That said....I want to see if I can double check this somehow. It really sucks having such a limited amount of reference photos, but from what I have, they do seem different.

I forgot to mention. The reason I have been trying to source some buttons is that the ones I have don't seem to have the right shape. The ones on the holster look more rounded then the ones I have. If I find a good supplier, I'll be sure to mention it in the pattern.

Last edited:
Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Well, this is odd.

Today I was scrubbing through the three films for any glimpse of the holsters, just to confirm some things, when I came across two things that made me pause. Now, I realize that there are often multiple versions of the same costume, which can lead to inconsistencies throughout the films, but these two stood out to me.

Episode IV: Stitches

I assumed that the pouches for all the films were done the same way. Separate pieces, sewn onto a belt. My patterns are designed like this, but today I came across something in ANH that made me take a second look.

ANH-Holster-SC-1.jpg

ANH-Holster-SC-2.jpg

These shots are both from the deleted scenes where he talks with Jabba. Now, I realize some prefer to forget these scenes even exist, and I won't argue that point, but there is something about the pouches that look very odd to me.

First, between each pouch, am not seeing a clear separation of leather. To my eyes, I am seeing that along the top, and bottom there is a line indicating a continuous piece of leather.

Secondly, one would expect to also see at the back pouch a line of stitching to finish off the belt, but what I am seeing is that the leather curves, and continues along the path, all the way to the back. It even appears that between the buttons, the leather has been pushed up a bit.

It is very confusing to me to not see stitching on any of the sides, and it makes me wonder if they perhaps took a single piece of leather, the entire length of the belt, and simply glued the pouches in place.

Screen caps, and high res images from ANH are very hard to come by, so I have almost no way to double check and confirm or debunk this.

I really need some help. If anyone has better images that could solve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for what it means for the pattern. I am not sure. This one image isn't enough to fully convince me considering other high res costume test shots clearly show a line on the belt.

Thoughts?

Episode V: The Mysterious Flying Disk

As well, while watching ESB, I noticed something odd. That little disk on the side of the belt seems to like to wander, depending on the scene.

For example, when Han is talking to 3P0 about Luke not being back, the disk is clearly in the centre of the belt. However, a few moments later when Han is discussing the cold with some rebels, the disk has appeared to shift to the bottom of the belt.

I would have chalked this up to a strange angle, or something, but later in Bespin, there is a single shot where the disk is shifted.

ESB-Holster-SC-1.jpg

Now, like I said before, I realize there are often multiple versions of the costumes, and so this could account for this. I just wanted to present it, and see if it is worth putting in the pattern as an option?

Thoughts?

You are correct to say the episode IV holster does not have stitching on the pouches. My best guess is each pouch is held in place by rivets. I will post a few photos later today to help prove this.

Paul

Very interesting about the ANH pouches not having stitching, and it looks like you are correct to me. Very good catch. I'm currious what @Unchartedleather has to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm interesting. I'm not a leather worker so I am curious as to how the pouches work.

Also looks like the pants belt is much more brown than we thought before compared to the twill vest.

Did a little digging and this photo from ANH also seems to show no stitching on the pouches.

Indeed.

I have spent the last few hours reworking the pattern for the ANH version to reflect this development. The issues that have me stuck are:

How was this attached?
Does the leather continue all the way from the front (hooks) to the back of the belt?
Is the other side the same?
Are the bottoms of the pouches sewn, glued, riveted?

Okay ... now you have me worried ... 'you're imagining things ... ahh come on'... sorry could not resist ... should I order the white suits and straight-jacket? :wacko

Chaim

Here are a few other photos that really show how the ANH holster has no stitches on the pouches. I believe each pouch is formed around a block and then attached with rivets. You could sew the bottom of the pouches but you would not be able to sew the sides. The trick is to line up the holes in the back of the pouches to the holes in the belt. There are a few other differences when you compare the ANH holster with the other holsters used in Empire and Jedi. The first is the groove line on the belt and the holster. The second is the placement of the leg strap. In ANH the leg strap is positioned at the bottom of the holster. In the other two movies the leg strap is several inches higher.

han.jpg~original.jpgsw19770018.jpg360054336_01d6ac500a_o.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back