Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

Hello,
Are you a proficient photographer with a decent camera (with decent zoom)? Do you live in the Hollywood area near ArcLight Hollywood theatre? If so, could you please send me a private message regarding a top secret Imperial mission?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Crazylegsmurphy,

I lurked on this thread 3 years ago when I made my last Han Solo holster, and now I'm back doing further research for new ones. My main question is whether the exact dimensions of the Droid Caller clip have ever been figured out for each movie? And if you ever found help with the 3D Modeling you needed. If not I can refer some interested parties.

Thanks Man.

Hey @Crazylegsmurphy,

I lurked on this thread 3 years ago when I made my last Han Solo holster, and now I'm back doing further research for new ones. My main question is whether the exact dimensions of the Droid Caller clip have ever been figured out for each movie? And if you ever found help with the 3D Modeling you needed. If not I can refer some interested parties.

Thanks Man.

Hey,

The short answer. Yes.

The longer answer is that I have spent a lot of time looking at each one and have added them into the book. The only one I'm just finishing up is the Solo one. I did get a few previously unseen Episode IV photos so I want to go back and double check before release.

I was able to figure out the dimensions using exact measurements of the different droid caller types and other references.

The book is literally weeks away from release if all goes well. I am still looking for a 3D modeller. I had a guy that was really keen and seemed to have the skills, but there seemed to be a mixup and it fizzled out. If you know of a modelling ninja that thinks in the scale of detail down to atoms, please send them my way. :D

Hey,

The short answer. Yes.

The longer answer is that I have spent a lot of time looking at each one and have added them into the book. The only one I'm just finishing up is the Solo one. I did get a few previously unseen Episode IV photos so I want to go back and double check before release.

I was able to figure out the dimensions using exact measurements of the different droid caller types and other references.

The book is literally weeks away from release if all goes well. I am still looking for a 3D modeller. I had a guy that was really keen and seemed to have the skills, but there seemed to be a mixup and it fizzled out. If you know of a modelling ninja that thinks in the scale of detail down to atoms, please send them my way. :D

Hey CLM, thanks for the response. iamseanfields from project 842 is a friend and I reached out to him explaining this project. He told me to send you his way. He's the guy behind the Full Size Battle Droid and the shore trooper/tank trooper 3D models.

After all, we still have not been able to find out how the ANH leather belt was fastened to the hook. Obviously there are no rivets (this is one of the main issues on Todd's hardware), and glueing alone certainly wouldn't stand the strain.

Not sure if this is still an issue as I haven't completely read through the whole thread, but there are probably a few set screws threaded though the back of the hook and then through the leather. That keeps the leather in place very securely without visible rivets or holes on the outside. I've seen belt buckles attached this way before.

Also, I'm just getting into the Han holster rig as I've also started my DL-44 build, but I'm a professional leather worker and can probably offer some decent advice one way or another so I'll keep an eye out over here.

Hey,

The short answer. Yes.

Any news on the project? Im looking to build one soon ! Would love to get it right first time round

Crazylegsmurphy, can't wait till the book is available. Been reading this post for a while. Next month I've signed up for a leatherworks class and my project will be the Han Solo holster and belt. The general consensus on this build is getting a template and belt hardware (not greeblies) are the hardest to get.

If there is anywhere we can sign up for a wait list let us know...

So here’s a question. What are the differences between the original trilogy holster and the one used in the stand alone SOLO film?

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Very excited about this! Happy to see I might have made a contribution to this project! I also have a couple more theories I want to share regarding the episode 4 rig and 5 rig. I don’t want to derail the thread but is it okay to post my theory?

Edit : I want to add real quick that referencing Empire was just in regard to the display configuration in whichbthis particular holster portion (not belt) was displayed and photographed in the costume book. These things seem to get switched around a lot in displays, exhibits, etc

Very excited about this! Happy to see I might have made a contribution to this project! I also have a couple more theories I want to share regarding the episode 4 rig and 5 rig. I don’t want to derail the thread but is it okay to post my theory?

Edit : I want to add real quick that referencing Empire was just in regard to the display configuration in whichbthis particular holster portion (not belt) was displayed and photographed in the costume book. These things seem to get switched around a lot in displays, exhibits, etc

Of course. The more information the better and the more discussion the more chance we will sort out the mysteries. :D

Excellent!

It will be easier if I refer to the whole holster configuration as the "rig" and the yoke/holster itself as the "holster."

I think we had a miscommunication on a few things. The holster was shown in the OT costume book on the "ESB" set up. This is problematic because 1) the jacket shown is a prototype 2) the belt portion of the rig is from Jedi. It lists that the holster may have been the ANH and reused for Empire. I believe this to be true.

This leads me to believe that this is the ONLY piece of the ANH gear that Harrison Ford wore on screen in ANH that still exists.

For those of us who have the OT Costume book, I strongly suggest opening that up to take a look yourself.

Now I originally reached out to CrazyLegs to point out that this is the ANH Holster and that the cap may only have a few stitches near the front of the cap, but not all the way around. It looks like there may only be a few stitches in the groove near the cap. To me, there doesn't look like enough tension to be fully stitched, and it would also be VERY neatly done considering the stitching on the ESB/ROTJ (ROTJ in particular) but that may be down to the ESB and ROTJ rigs being made in house by production and not by Bapty as the ANH Holster was.

Here are some hallmarks that I believe show that this is the ANH Holster. I have some side by sides that show some of these characteristics (also shown in CrazyLegs video) There is a distinct crease on the holster yoke near the snaps that matches. Note - this is NOT The scratch on the ROTJ holster that makes its way around in the traveling display. This to me looks like a crease in the leather, something like latigo. There are the missing snaps, coloring etc. Also included are some shots that show the classic ANH Grooves, shape, etc.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 10.57.36 PM.png

ANH Spot.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

Now, I think this shows that yes, this is definitely the ANH Holster.

BUT - I believe to have some evidence that this rig was reused in Empire. However, I'm not sure if the holster was, but the belt almost certainly is worn in multiple scenes.

I've searched literally thousands of archive photos for this research and Han research in general, and I can only find two. There are screen caps that seem to support this because of the angle of the belt portion, especially in the rear, but I can't find anything conclusive, so I won't be posting them.

Here are the two photos that I really believe show the ANH Belt in ESB.

The first is from the Hoth Hanger - you can see a clear difference in color between the belt and holster, as well as the lack of stitching on the belt pockets and the holsters shape is not ANH. Im doing a quick edit as looking at this photo, there seem to be rivets near the hooks leading me to believe that this was probably repaired with the rivets and put into use in ESB. These can also be seen in Hoth scene when they discover the probe droid.

hothhanbrown.jpg

Next, I believe this is form the med Bay scene with Luke recovering. You can see the belt clearly has the groove lines in it. Absent from the other ESB rig or ROTJ.

Han Medical Bay.jpg

The interesting thing about that photo is that is also shows (to my eyes) no grooves in the trouser belt.

So, no real new info on design, etc. but I think its interesting to have proof that 1) the ANH Holster exists and is, presumably, the only piece of ANH gear that Harrison Ford wore that still exists in the archives, and 2) The rig was reused in at least ESB.

With that in mind, what will we consider canon for the ESB Rig? Will it be the stitched pockets? Will it be the ANH Belt for Hoth?

What do you all think?

Well done! Full marks.
That is the ANH holster for sure in the book. As for the belt parts of it, I'm 100% sure that's it in the b&w picture (I can match the stains etc) and 99% sure that's it in the Hoth Hanger shot.
The belt parts almost certainly still exist but may not be in suitable condition to be displayed.
There are 2 or 3 holsters not including the ANH one and I think the same for the belt parts. But these were all made at the time of ESB or ROTJ. It is curious to me that after making new holster rigs, they continued to use the ANH parts, mixing them in and modifying them as needed.

Is that an extra snap at the end of the thigh strap? When did that show up?

Regarding the rivets added to the ANH belt on Hoth (which it certainly looks like) it might be a repair, or it might be a new hook to attach to the ESB buckle. Also, just speculating here, it was probably easier to have more than one belt available to switch between the rig over coat and the rig over trousers scenes.

Having said that, I've no idea what the schedule was like and to my memory the coat is only worn in the hangar, not any of the corridors/medical bay/command centre shots.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back