Amazon's The Expanse

Re: SyFy's The Expanse

I think a lot of us are waiting for it to break on Netflix. I'm currently rewatching the series, next to GOT its my favourite TV series.

I didn't even know it was back on. They don't really advertise it very well. Love the show though. I'll have to catch up this week.

I've been watching and I have been thoroughly enjoying the season so far. I've also been actively trying to recruit people to watch. There are several people on my team at work that I know this would be in their wheelhouse, but it's flown under their radar until I mentioned it.

I'm very curious where this season is going to end. I wonder if they keep the same pace of finishing 1/4 of a book and then doing 3/4 of the next

I love this series (and it continually mystifies me why it isn't more popular) but haven't read any of the books for fear of spoilers.

Would someone who has read the Expanse book series tell me if they've passed the first book or whereabouts are they in the book series? I'm dying to read the series itself but don't want to be spoiled by reading ahead (aka the game of thrones syndrome).

Metaluna mutant
They are closing in on the end of book 2 "Caliban's War" and seeding some things from book 3 like Anna. You're in the clear for reading Leviathan Wakes, and then give it until like S3 Ep8 to start Caliban's War.

Last edited by a moderator:

I love this series (and it continually mystifies me why it isn't more popular) but haven't read any of the books for fear of spoilers.

Would someone who has read the Expanse book series tell me if they've passed the first book or whereabouts are they in the book series? I'm dying to read the series itself but don't want to be spoiled by reading ahead (aka the game of thrones syndrome).

@Metaluna mutant
They are closing in on the end of book 2 "Caliban's War" and seeding some things from book 3 like Anna. You're in the clear for reading Leviathan Wakes, and then give it until like S3 Ep8 to start Caliban's War.

What he said. The first book was mostly covered in season 1. :)

as with any adaptation there are some things that have been remixed or omitted completely but I definitely suggest reading the books. I like the show but I LOVE the books.

I agree with Harrison. The books are similar to the show, but not exact. For example, Chrisjen doesn't show up in book 1 at all, which slightly disappointed me, but I loved the book so much, it didn't take much away from my enjoyment in the end.

Oh Damn this is very bad news to wake up to !!! Its strange, but the vast majority of people really don't like well written, cleverly thought out hard sci fi. They'd rather have the usual rubbish. Please , Netflix save this series!

I was always sorry SciFi had this series because I liked it so well and had to wait for the Blu rays to be released to watch it. Plus they have a history of abandoning their projects. I hope it is picked up by a major network

I went off on a tirade this morning over that. I am so pissed about this right now... The Expanse is the only show on right now that I don't at least once an episode throw my hands up and say ******* IT STOP BEING STUPID to the characters. I hope like hell it gets scooped up quickly.

I'm trying to look on the bright side; hopefully the show is picked up by Netflix or Amazon and we can get the show without the ads and censorship. Watching the broadcast version is already the worst way to watch, so hopefully we're not losing much.

Chill people this is a GOOD thing. First, it is second only to Game of Thrones in per-episode cost at $7-9 million, SyFy just can't afford it. Second, Alcon who owns the rights to the show ARE going to shop it around, it will without a doubt get picked up, and as said we will finally get to enjoy it's R rating instead of having to wait for the Blu-Rays.

Chill people this is a GOOD thing. First, it is second only to Game of Thrones in per-episode cost at $7-9 million, SyFy just can't afford it. Second, Alcon who owns the rights to the show ARE going to shop it around, it will without a doubt get picked up, and as said we will finally get to enjoy it's R rating instead of having to wait for the Blu-Rays.

Syfy isn't even footing the bill for the production of the series, Alcon fully finances it.

https://news.avclub.com/syfy-sends-the-expanse-back-into-the-cold-void-of-space-1825956698

At issue is reportedly the deal originally struck between Syfy and Alcon Television Group, which produces and fully finances the series. Apparently, the deal only gives Syfy first-run linear rights in the U.S., which is a problem given that, like many genre TV series, much of The Expanse’s audience watches the show via digital and streaming. On that note, Alcon is planning to take the show to other buyers, presumably streaming services: In a statement, company CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson say, “given the commercial and critical success of the show, we fully plan to pursue other opportunities for this terrific and original IP.”

I went off on a tirade this morning over that. I am so pissed about this right now... The Expanse is the only show on right now that I don't at least once an episode throw my hands up and say ******* IT STOP BEING STUPID to the characters. I hope like hell it gets scooped up quickly.

But that's true of EVERY show out there. Characters act dumb because the writers have no idea how to get smart characters to do the dumb things that are required by the shallow and cliched plots. Sure, The Expanse looks pretty, but the story is just as dumb as everything else.

But that's true of EVERY show out there. Characters act dumb because the writers have no idea how to get smart characters to do the dumb things that are required by the shallow and cliched plots. Sure, The Expanse looks pretty, but the story is just as dumb as everything else.

Maybe you watch different shows than I do, but I disagree. The Expanse is FAR better written. Do people do stupid things from time to time? Yes. But they're at least stupid things that are consistent with their characters instead of on nearly every other show where the writers have people do random stupid things just because they need them to happen.

For example: Naomi giving the protomolecule sample to Johnson was stupid. BUT, it was consistent with her character's personality and motivations to this point. As opposed to the Flash where Barry does stupid **** ad nauseum because the writers need a convenient excuse for drama to occur.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back