One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

I hope they include the original parts as part of the display in the case with the updated and "rendered safe" model. That would be neat to have a look at how they originally did it.

THE PAINTING HAS BEGUN!

Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to be on a backstage tour of the Udvar Hazy Center for an unrelated event last Friday (rebooting the Armstrong Moon Suit) and spotted the big girl in the paint booth! Was quickly told not to take any photos. Then I realized I was not looking at the actual ship but a 100% sized copy for paint tests. It looked like they were working out just the right shade of red for the stripe on the engines.

Then, 10 min. late,r I found they were working on the actual model in another area. Sanding back a primer coat on the bottom half of the dish. It was flipped upside down resting on a foam doughnut. They told me the top of the dish will be untouched, as it is still original.

In the very back were the engines in FINAL PAINT. I have to say it looks very battleship grey to me. They said it had a slight green tint but at the distance I was standing I could not tell. They also said the "pilot paint color they had found was much more blue". Gotta say it was weird watching them run sandpaper over the dish when the last time I was there they all had gloves on to touch it. :eek

I asked for a paint code and they commented that they were still discussing how they would release the paint colors and were even considering a paint chip book!

When we went upstairs to the lab to see Armstrong's gloves I spotted some more E stuff on the tables and since the Curator told us it was OK to shoot anything in that room, I did. Plus a bonus shot...

Trek01.jpgTrek02.jpgGloveShot.jpg

I think most of this was out at the Open House in January. Anyway that was a great day and it looks like they are well on their way to being ready for the July premiere.
BrianM

I hope not! The Hallmark Galileo is not even close to the correct shape.

According to Ariel O'Connor, that was just on hand that day to demonstrate relative scale. She had it sort of tucked away on the cart with the secondary hull, and said she was waiting for people to ask about it -- then she went into her mini-spiel about the scale.

There's no hangar to put it in, anyway.

Wish to hell I knew where mine is.

THE PAINTING HAS BEGUN!

Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to be on a backstage tour of the Udvar Hazy Center for an unrelated event last Friday (rebooting the Armstrong Moon Suit) and spotted the big girl in the paint booth! Was quickly told not to take any photos. Then I realized I was not looking at the actual ship but a 100% sized copy for paint tests. It looked like they were working out just the right shade of red for the stripe on the engines.

Then, 10 min. late,r I found they were working on the actual model in another area. Sanding back a primer coat on the bottom half of the dish. It was flipped upside down resting on a foam doughnut. They told me the top of the dish will be untouched, as it is still original.

In the very back were the engines in FINAL PAINT. I have to say it looks very battleship grey to me. They said it had a slight green tint but at the distance I was standing I could not tell. They also said the "pilot paint color they had found was much more blue". Gotta say it was weird watching them run sandpaper over the dish when the last time I was there they all had gloves on to touch it. :eek

I asked for a paint code and they commented that they were still discussing how they would release the paint colors and were even considering a paint chip book!

When we went upstairs to the lab to see Armstrong's gloves I spotted some more E stuff on the tables and since the Curator told us it was OK to shoot anything in that room, I did. Plus a bonus shot...

View attachment 616686View attachment 616687View attachment 616688

I think most of this was out at the Open House in January. Anyway that was a great day and it looks like they are well on their way to being ready for the July premiere.
BrianM

Thanks!

:)SPockboy

THE PAINTING HAS BEGUN!

Hi Guys,

View attachment 616686View attachment 616687View attachment 616688

BrianM

Awesome!!! :D

The painting's done. If you were working on your own, you might want to stop. Some new info coming around when the time's right. Some finalizing in the lighting to suss out, but after that...

A copy? Cool! Is there a difference in the type of paint and method of application between then and now? Were they able to just buy what they needed to match, or was it custom? Thx

<tantrum> HeyHeyHeyHeyHey, I'm getting a lot faster and more accurate in Blender, I'd really like some reference now so I can model my Enterprise already, and certain people ARE TAKING THEIR SWEET OLD TIME ABOUT FINISHING SAID REFERENCE!</tantrum>

Thanks, that's much better. Snack and nappies now. :p

AFAIK, all quiet on the western front. I've been coping with the information jones by watching TOS, working on my phaser project, and of course methodone. :p

LOL Thanks!
I needed a good laugh this morning.

Well we have THIS picture of the painting crew nerding out and taking pictures of the finished paint job.
If you look in the top left corner you can kind of see the saucer and-----aw hell, where is that methodone again?
13055070_10153705575913565_5109777761951322476_o.jpg

:)Spockboy

LOL Thanks!
I needed a good laugh this morning.

Well we have THIS picture of the painting crew nerding out and taking pictures of the finished paint job.
If you look in the top left corner you can kind of see the saucer and-----aw hell, where is that methodone again?
View attachment 629850

:D

Yeah, I've had a new jones since this afternoon, but I've been house cleaning and haven't had time to act on it. I've been thinking about laying some "groundwork" for my CG model in Blender, even though I know it's largely a waste of time given the new information we'll all have access to after July 1. Maybe I'll start the blueprint artwork in Illustrator and PS, working from the Sinclair blueprints and leaving room to make adjustments in Illustrator. Or start working up the parts of the texture artwork that we know won't change -- the penants, registry, and such. Maybe it'll take the edge off. :p

BTW, the Smithsonian is doing some kind of all-night wingding for the Boeing Hall of Flight on the 1st, which is a Friday, starting at 9pm. That'll give me plenty of time to work late and take the train to the museum afterwards for pictures. It's open to the public. Don't know what I'll get by way of pictures of the model, since that's July 4th weekend and I fully expect NASM to be a total zoo. But we'll see. :)

Well whenever you get the pictures I would like to see them. :)
I think your idea of working on the penants, registry and such is a great idea.

I heard on one of these forums that someone wanted there to be a 3d scan of the Big E on the Smithsonian site like the 3d Lincoln sculpture, and other artifacts (see below)

http://3d.si.edu/browser

It could easily be done. I think if enough Trek fans petition or, request (that's a friendlier word) perhaps the Smithsonian will comply.

'Till then we will have to jones until we can get another Trix (Trek-fix)

Well whenever you get the pictures I would like to see them. :)
I think your idea of working on the penants, registry and such is a great idea.

I heard on one of these forums that someone wanted there to be a 3d scan of the Big E on the Smithsonian site like the 3d Lincoln sculpture, and other artifacts (see below)

http://3d.si.edu/browser

It could easily be done. I think if enough Trek fans petition or, request (that's a friendlier word) perhaps the Smithsonian will comply.

'Till then we will have to jones until we can get another Trix (Trek-fix)

Trixy Trekkieses! :p

I asked Margaret Weitekamp about that back at the '15 open house. She said the artifact -- the model -- is NASM's property, but the IP of course belongs to CBS. So that raises copyright issues when it comes to scanning her. I also asked about measurements, and her answer was very odd. She said Gary Kerr's measurements from the '92 restoration are his property, (I hadn't even mentioned them), but she didn't say whether they'd publish their own, which they could just do with a damn tape measure. There's nothing at all (legally speaking) preventing them from making measurements of their own item and publishing them. At the very least, it has to be fair use.

I'd say the same thing about creating diagrams of the model for display and download, but that's kind of academic. With John Van Citters from CBS licensing on the committee, I can't imagine them not getting permisison to do damn near anything they want.

Anyway, Gary Kerr has been saying in his HobbyTalk Thread that there's a frackload of reference coming after she's back on display, but right now they're necessarily focused on getting the model ready for July 1. He's also often warned everyone to stop all work on their models till this is over, especially painting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back