One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

I don't hate on the remastered stuff. I didn't agree with everytning they did. It was fun to see some things they probably would have preferred us to see if they had the time, money, technology.
And the originals are always there. They didn't change the story or anything.
This is my desktop at work for now too...

tomorrowisyesterdayhd297.jpg

I love the remastered Blu-rays. When I first bought Season 1, I immediately watched an episode with the original effects shots, and I was absolutely mortified. Obviously those shots were never intended for that level of scrutiny. So ever since, for the most part, I've only watched the remastered versions.

I think the new VFX make the show much more watchable, and the they often serve the story better. With the old shots, your imagination often had to fill in the gaps because they couldn't show you exactly what was happening. Good examples of this are The Ultimate Computer and Doomsday Machine; if you watch the new and old versions side-by-side, IMO the remastered FX give you better and clearer action and do a better job keeping the suspense going.

But if you're a glutton for punishment, just watch the Blu-ray versions with the original VFX shots, or the DVDs as Brian does (which don't advertise the flaws the way the HD versions do).

Regarding the model, the saucer paint is definitely going to be left as-is, except for maybe some sort of treatment to stabilize it and slow down the deterioration. It's the only original paint left on the model, so taking it off would border on vandalism. Everything else is going to be repainted, since the EM restoration took off all the old paint anyway. IIRC, Dr. Weitekamp said in her presentation that EM did that according to instructions from NASM, which was consistent with normal practice at the time.

As for removing other original parts for whatever reason and replacing them with reproductions -- are you serious? That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard.

Here's a photo I found online and have never seen anywhere else. No idea who the woman is but the picture looks to be when the model was uncrated at the NASM. Maybe the only color photo showing the nacelles without domes.
16348863599_c8f7799796_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo; too bad it's not higher res. It's always interested me that the bridge dome was present during the uncrating but was missing when it was originally dispalyed. There is a close-up color photo of the nacelle ends that I've seen someplace. Will try to dig it up.

Thanks, guys! I'll be posting to my phaser thread tomorrow, so while I'm doing that I'll look into setting up a gallery somewhere than anybody can upload to, and linking to that in the top post. That way people won't have to go scrolling through the whole thread to find all the photos. Meanwhile, keep on posting! :)

It's been said here that there might be some other pictures that can not be shown. At this point in time why would there be any privacy issues with anything that has to do with the Enterprise. This "new" old picture is wonderful and great to see, thank you.

Very welcome. The picture had that dithering when I found it, and I wish it was higher res as well. If I remember correctly, I was doing image searches with a number of more obscure search engines and happened on that pic. So there may be more.

In fact, that lady was young so she may well still be at the NASM, the Garber Facility, or the Smithsonian in general. If she could be identified and found, she would certainly know who took the picture, which may lead to more and better photos.

Anybody near DC ?

Last edited:
Here's a photo I found online and have never seen anywhere else. No idea who the woman is but the picture looks to be when the model was uncrated at the NASM. Maybe the only color photo showing the nacelles without domes.
View attachment 439177

It's interesting that even in that photo of presumably the original paint; the top of the saucer appears a different color than the rest of the ship.

View attachment 439177
This is one of the best publicly available images that shows the care and level of detail that the original builders of the Enterprise took in painting on some of the features. In that shot the inboard details of the starboard nacelle are all painted on (other than the intercooler and grill) rather than being physical features. If you look at shots of the model after it went on display you'll see that all of those details were painted over... and in 1991 it was replaced with a featureless gray field.

This is one of the features I am hoping gets fixed with this restoration.

It's been said here that there might be some other pictures that can not be shown. At this point in time why would there be any privacy issues with anything that has to do with the Enterprise.
Actually, it comes down to some photos from people's private collections that haven't been released publicly. And often times when they are shared with others, it is with the express instructions not to make them public or share them with others without permission.

I can share any information I gain from analysis of the photos, just not the photos themselves.

If I were to make public all the photos shared with me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get many people willing to share other things with me in the future.

At this point in time why would there be any privacy issues with anything that has to do with the Enterprise. This "new" old picture is wonderful and great to see, thank you.
It has nothing to do with the Enterprise, but everything to do with the owners of the photos, and/or the people in them. Anyone has the right to refuse to distribute their own photos for any reason. It's not only a general privacy right, but a statutory right under copyright law.

Actually, it comes down to some photos from people's private collections that haven't been released publicly.

If I were to make public all the photos shared with me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get many people willing to share other things with me in the future.
And this is why non-owners in possession of such photographs don't share them -- if you don't keep your word, pretty soon you'll have no need to.

There's a photo I've never seen before on page 237 of Volume II of Marc Cushman's "These Are The Voyages" of the unfinished side of the model with all the electrical cables hanging out. It says it's from someone named Bob Olsen. Not sure if it would be cool to scan it and post it here (since it's from a new book, as opposed to some old thing that's no longer available), but if you all are as big of Star Trek geeks as I am, you should probably just buy the books. :)

There's a photo I've never seen before on page 237 of Volume II of Marc Cushman's "These Are The Voyages" of the unfinished side of the model with all the electrical cables hanging out. It says it's from someone named Bob Olsen. Not sure if it would be cool to scan it and post it here (since it's from a new book, as opposed to some old thing that's no longer available), but if you all are as big of Star Trek geeks as I am, you should probably just buy the books. :)

I think it would be fine if you put in a watermark claiming the source.
It might even stir up enough curiosity to encourage someone to purchase the book! :)

:)Spockboy

Probably better to buy the books. Besides, there are other sources for that particular view. I've seen it. It wouldn't surprise me if the Post #1 already has a link to such a photo.

I thought you guys might like seeing a slightly more fleshed out version of my reverse engineered Jefferies plans...

The changes are mostly cosmetic, extending out the information implied by the segments of the plans that are available. The base numbers are the same as they've been since I first did this back in 2007.

The 11 foot model was a 4x build of these plans... with a number of changes that were introduced between the beginning of November of 1964 and the time the model was finished at the end of December.

Anyways, just thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back