One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

I'm headed to DC in the fall to see this Icon in situ....
Awesome! Make sure you see it lit -- that's worth the trip all by itself! :D

Also, I got some new gear -- a nice little speedlite* (as in, not a Nikon Speedlight®, because Canon), a little softbox for it, an off-camera bracket, etc. And, as of today, I'm finally done with The Gig of Death that Would Not Die Because "Gig of Death," Weren't You Listening? So I'm taking a whole new round of pictures this week. Stem to stern, top to bottom, till my batteries die or I do.

I'll also be shooting them in RAW, which means they'll look just that much more awesome when I get done processing them in PS. No more jpegs for me, since I'm going into the photo biz... (insert YAY! here).

Also, I'll be making them all available for free with minimal watermarking, via Unsplash.com. Those will be full-resolution, 15.1 MP. The ones I post here may be slightly smaller, but if that's the case I'll link to the Unsplash gallery. I should have them up starting this weekend, depending on how long it takes me to run them through PhotoShop.

Hi, I'm Aureliano, and I'm a ShootTheEnterpriseaholic. :p

(Speedlight or speedlite = separate flash unit.)

Lit? They turn the lights off or did you sneak in there when the place was closed?
The model's lights come on at exactly 11am, 1pm, and 3pm for 10 minutes at a time. The rest of the time, they're off. So schedule your viewing accordingly. :)

The schedule is aimed at preserving the model. The LEDs do produce some heat (though minimal), and of course the nacelle motors also produce heat and suffer wear and tear. Everything's replaceable, but you risk damaging something every time you crack open the model, so they want to keep that to a minimum.

Gotcha. Of course this cues up the old argument about leaving a PC on all the time or turning it off when not in use. I've heard many a screaming match over which preserves it longer. I'm glad they are giving our lady all due respect. She's certainly earned it.

Pretty safe doesn't cut it for them. They're looking at a 50-year time horizon, long enough for cumulative effects of minor damage to take their toll.

As for abusing the components by cycling them, remember that the objective is to protect the model, not the electronics. The reason they're concerned about heat is that it can hurt the wood and glues over time, and even distort the original framing. That already happened pre-restoration, with the secondary hull staves contracting as they dried out. :)

Testing to see if such a large image can be uploaded...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...appears to have been reduced in size :(

Attachments

• dunnhuge3.png
    dunnhuge3.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 368
  • dunn.png
    dunn.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
YAY! Looking forward to it.
Hehehe... funny thing... Cranked up my car to go to NASM today just before noon, and my battery was dead, dead, dead. Deader than Moses, Stalin, and even my childhood dreams. :p

Cuz some moron left my headlights on all night. Yeah, that's it. Some totally random other person-type guy. Who's not me. Cuz I'd never do that... :p

Took AAA over two hours to show up, so my whole shooting day was... uh... shot, I guess.

Hey, announce your plans, hear God laugh. Did other productive stuff today instead. Tomorrow is another day. Checked my headlights already. ;)

Got some very nice photos of the E today, but my brand new flash unit died after only six hours of use. So back to B&H Photo it goes. A few of the reviews mentioned dead units, but not many -- I have a feeling this is going to go full refund after they replace it once or twice. Some of the photos are very good, but the really good ones I took after the flash died, using my pop-up flash with a softbox over it. Go figure. :wacko

And a helluva surprise -- STB is showing at the IMAX theater, and one of Chris Pine's hero costumes is out in front of the box office. Got some fine-ass shots of that, but I may start a new thread for those, since it seems OT here.

I'll be trickling these out over the next week or so. Lots of other stuff to do, plus I'm exhausted. :)

6%20Hrs%20Spent.jpg

LOL, YES!!! The first one! :)

Looks great, love the close-ups. Thank you!
My pleasure. The closeups are my favorite thing to shoot. :)

God help us all if I ever get access to any original props or wardrobe. I'll be posting pictures of glue nuggets, threads, and zipper teeth. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back