One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Lovely to see the 'TAIL PIPE' decal back in place. That was one of the big 'mistakes' from the previous restoration that the IDIC page pointed out.
Me too! I've been dying to see those decals back in place for almost 20 years now. :)

I also have another one with the TAS Enterprise that says, "Boldly been there, boldly did that." Drives me nuts, but I'm trying to expand my TOS alternatives. Now I have a whole THREE Trek tees. :p

Great pics. Thanks for sharing Asalaw.
You're welcome! I've been dying to take these pix since I first discovered the IDIC Page back in the 90s, so I had lots of time to think about it. :p

Asalaw, FANTASTIC pics, great job!!! Thank you. Any luck on sourcing the mini flood lights?

The team did an absolutely outstanding job on the restoration, they should be very proud of what they accomplished!

-Sean

Last edited:
Me too! I've been dying to see those decals back in place for almost 20 years now. :)

I also have another one with the TAS Enterprise that says, "Boldly been there, boldly did that." Drives me nuts, but I'm trying to expand my TOS alternatives. Now I have a whole THREE Trek tees. :p

You're welcome! I've been dying to take these pix since I first discovered the IDIC Page back in the 90s, so I had lots of time to think about it. :p

Yes, I miss the IDIC page. William McCullars did such a wonderful forensic job on the old girl.

The last time I saw the Big-E, was when it was still in the gift shop. I took over 400 photos that day and was kicked out when I climbed on a display to be able to photograph the top portion of the saucer section.

I was also kicked out back in the early 80's for standing on a friends shoulders in an attempt to touch it. LOL

P.S. I did end up touching it. LOL

Last edited:
I'd never noticed the hinged mount for the deflector dish before. It makes sense that it could rotate and turn in order to be angled as needed. Someone had done a CGI of the E where that was moving around like it had a mind of its own which looked a bit silly.

Asalaw, FANTASTIC pics, great job!!! Thank you. Any luck on sourcing the mini flood lights?

The team did an absolutely outstanding job on the restoration, they should be very proud of what they accomplished!

-Sean
Yes they did! No, I haven't had a moment to look into it yet. I suspect they're LEDs, to keep heat and power consumtion down in there.

The last time I saw the Big-E, was when it was still in the gift shop. I took over 400 photos that day and was kicked out when I climbed on a display to be able to photograph the top portion of the saucer section.

I was also kicked out back in the early 80's for standing on a friends shoulders to be able to touch it. LOL
Fortunately there's no need for that now, since she's down at eye level. Don't get any ideas about the LM, though. :p

I'd never noticed the hinged mount for the deflector dish before. It makes sense that it could rotate and turn in order to be angled as needed. Someone had done a CGI of the E where that was moving around like it had a mind of its own which looked a bit silly.
It's on the 1/350 kit that way as well. I saw that video -- I think it may have been one of the Farragut films. A whole starship battle where the Connies were doing dogfight-style aerobatics and firing energy beams from those wildly turning deflectors. I just shook my head. :unsure

Reportedly the last time it was before the camera was for Trouble With Tribbles. All stock footage from then on out.

The last time it was altered was Tribbles. There are still never before seen shots in episodes after that (going by both air date AND production order). When they were filmed I don't know. With all of the research that was done it would be nice if someone could definitively say.

Also, my somewhat informed guess is that she was never filmed in the third season. Again, I'd like to hear someone tell me I'm right or wrong. (My apologies to anyone who has heard me ask this LOTS of times.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've read that it was never shot in the third season, but that there were shots used that had never appeared before....just shot in S2.
I wonder what the Tribbles alteration was.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've read that it was never shot in the third season, but that there were shots used that had never appeared before....just shot in S2.
I wonder what the Tribbles alteration was.
IIRC, someone on the restoration team said it was the painted-on starboard trench that was added. Although there is a fan theory that says that prior to that, the saucer was actually just two pie plates. :p

IIRC, someone on the restoration team said it was the painted-on starboard trench that was added. Although there is a fan theory that says that prior to that, the saucer was actually just two pie plates. :p

I've never heard the pie plate theory before? ;)

Last edited:
Random question about the Deflector Dish since you mention it lol...was the larger pilot dish and the series dish the same one just with an outer section removed or was it a completely different dish? I guess I had always assumed it was a different one then I was looking at some drawings of the different versions and the indents made it appear exactly the same just with the outer layer that almost looked like it could have been cutaway.

Just curious really, have never seen it really said anywhere.

I had heard that the outermost segment of the deflector dish was removed for the series revision and that it is the same dish.

That video Drexler posted of Matt Jefferies looking through the reference notebook is new to me. I was stunned to hear Matt say that he wasn't involved with cutting down the bridge dome height during the series revisions. I had always assumed he would have been the driver of the changes that were made. He certainly documented the changes when he drew the three-view of the production version for the writers' guide (and TMOST).

As for new footage in season three: I know the extreme zoom in on the lower sensor dome shown in "Last Battlefield" was a first (and only?) appearance of that shot. I can't say when it was filmed, though.

M.

I had heard that the outermost segment of the deflector dish was removed for the series revision and that it is the same dish.

That video Drexler posted of Matt Jefferies looking through the reference notebook is new to me. I was stunned to hear Matt say that he wasn't involved with cutting down the bridge dome height during the series revisions. I had always assumed he would have been the driver of the changes that were made. He certainly documented the changes when he drew the three-view of the production version for the writers' guide (and TMOST).

As for new footage in season three: I know the extreme zoom in on the lower sensor dome shown in "Last Battlefield" was a first (and only?) appearance of that shot. I can't say when it was filmed, though.

M.

It appears again with a shake in That Which Survives. Going by "production order" (which is really just the order that they filmed actors on stage) TWS comes first. By air date LTBYLB comes first.

It's possible that they set up the model for a single shot (in the entire year) and didn't film any others. That's not the way I'm betting though. :)

Sorry, replies crossed. What trench?

The recessed trench on the nacelle inboard side. The right nacelle has no trench, so it was painted on for the rear shot seen in TTWT. I assume the reworking also included rerouting the external wiring so it wouldn't be visible in that same rear shot.

The recessed trench on the nacelle inboard side. The right nacelle has no trench, so it was painted on for the rear shot seen in TTWT. I assume the reworking also included rerouting the external wiring so it wouldn't be visible in that same rear shot.
Yeah. This guy:

Enterprise%20NASM%20wtrmk%20081.jpg

A two-hour documentary on the restoration of the USS Enterprise model restoration will air in September.
The “Smithsonian Channel will celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek with a two-hour special that will take a look at the lasting influence the original Star Trek series has had on the world.”
Building Star Trek “will follow the conservation team from the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum as they attempt to restore and conserve the original eleven-foot, two-hundred-and-fifty-pound model of the U.S.S. Enterprise from the original series. The special also will track the effort to rebuild a model of the original U.S.S. Enterprise bridge by using authentic set pieces and props, which recently went on display at Seattle’s EMP Museum.
“The two-hour special also profiles a new generation of engineers and scientists who are making Star Trek’s visionary technology real, pushing the boundaries of physics with inventions first conceived on the iconic series: warp drives, medical tricorders, cloaking devices and tractor beams.
Building Star Trek will premiere Sunday, September 4 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Smithsonian Channel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back