The Marvel custom/redesign Thread

Bingo! That guy is the biggest Dubya fan I've ever seen. He flipped.
10672379_10103322087243012_6445976409808012561_n.jpg

I love the 90s Cyclops outfit. I used to watch the 90s X men cartoon and Cyclops was one of my favorites. I would say darkening the colors would help, maybe navy blue for the fabric --

Great minds. Already on the list. ;)

-- and bronze for the belt rig would be cool.

You got me looking at bronze leather. I have a local supplier that has that in cabretta lambskin, but I thought I'd look at a different leather for this stuff, and checked out their kidskin, which they don' thave in bronze, but do have gold and light brown. Bronze and gold looked too flashy*, and the light brown wasn't light enough, so I started looking for british tan, which was okay, but in the process of that stumbled across... desert tan. A primary hue for tactical gear. And one I think looks good contrasted against navy blue. I'm probably going to go with these gloves as a base. I'll add the double straps to them, the boots, and maybe the thighs as sort of anti-strain braces.

I'll do the chest 'X' piece and the visor to look like cast/machined titanium painted desert tan. Probably going to nix the belt buckle's redundant 'X'.

[*This is supposed to be tactical gear, thus why I'm going navy blue instead of royal, and bright shiny accessorizing seems the antithesis of what practical Boy Scout Scott Summers would do.]

With me I try to find a nice balance between comic source and redesign. Thinking in terms of practicality helps

Exactly. I like the bandolier, even if it seems to serve no purpose. The trunks, though... Ugh. That's a trend I wish had utterly died in the '80s. Vintage heroes had them because their costumes were basically glorified carnival strongman outfits. Since we've moved so far past that era, they are a totally pointless appendage these days. The X-Factor uniforms -- early and late -- make sense to me, Cable's outfit (Liefeld-y as it is) makes sense to me, the Ultimate universe's outfits make sense to me... Heck, most of the "new" X-Men costumes of the late '70s to late '80s were just fine. Bringing back trunks was silly.

like on Cap I was thinking that adding some inlaid armor would help.

I think a modern application for Cap would involve rigid ceramic plates (the lightweight sintered stuff, like some of the heat shield tiles on the space shuttle -- I saw a demo of the stuff once, with a delicate teapot made out of it... used to pound a four-inch spike into a block of wood) for large muscles and non-flex-y areas, with overlapping lamés for flex-y, sensitive areas, anti-ballistic gel (the stuff that is fluid until hit with sufficient force) in pockets for added protection around the midriff, internal temperature-regulation, mylar insulation for protection from extreme heat or cold, and like that. I'd even make a bid for vibranium (adamantium in a pinch) to be used where metal is the best option.

I always wanted to see an MCU version of Crimson Dynamo, he is one of my favorite Iron Man villains. I can't wait to see your builds.

I can't, either. :p As soon as I saw the Whiplash Mark II suit I wanted to see it in a nice dark red. And as soon as I saw those whips in action in Iron Man 2, I started concocting some mental scenario of a technological Omega Red -- note those whips disrupting the power systems in the other suits. Maybe even bolstering that suit's power with energy leeched from something he's caught in the whips... I'd add more Iron Man-y repulsors and minimissiles and such, and possibly a wireless TAZER (these have been around for a few years -- UV laser ionizes an air channel, then the current runs down that channel to the target). Oh, and one of Tony's Tesseract-substance reactors. *chuckle*

--Jonah

Awesome Wolverine, bub! Loving the leather and those awesome gloves. Wolverine is on my list too, but after I finish up Jean and Cyclops:

IMG_5886.JPG IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5911.JPG

(Somehow I've gotten wrangled into making an entire X-family). I'm just shooting for a spandex-free, utilitarian look inspired by the 90's blue/yellow power colors.

Attachments

• IMG_5885.JPG
    IMG_5885.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 184
Great thread! I'm a huge fan of making characters 'your own' and giving costumes an original spin. Count me in on this concept!

Thanks! I saw your Cap builds, and I was really impressed. I'm honored you're joining the thread.

Great minds. Already on the list. ;)

Good choice with the Cordura, it's what I plan to use on my Cap uniform.

You got me looking at bronze leather. I have a local supplier that has that in cabretta lambskin, but I thought I'd look at a different leather for this stuff, and checked out their kidskin, which they don' thave in bronze, but do have gold and light brown. Bronze and gold looked too flashy*, and the light brown wasn't light enough, so I started looking for british tan, which was okay, but in the process of that stumbled across... desert tan. A primary hue for tactical gear. And one I think looks good contrasted against navy blue. I'm probably going to go with these gloves as a base. I'll add the double straps to them, the boots, and maybe the thighs as sort of anti-strain braces.

I'll do the chest 'X' piece and the visor to look like cast/machined titanium painted desert tan. Probably going to nix the belt buckle's redundant 'X'.

[*This is supposed to be tactical gear, thus why I'm going navy blue instead of royal, and bright shiny accessorizing seems the antithesis of what practical Boy Scout Scott Summers would do.]

Nice choice. I love tactical gear.

Exactly. I like the bandolier, even if it seems to serve no purpose. The trunks, though... Ugh. That's a trend I wish had utterly died in the '80s. Vintage heroes had them because their costumes were basically glorified carnival strongman outfits. Since we've moved so far past that era, they are a totally pointless appendage these days. The X-Factor uniforms -- early and late -- make sense to me, Cable's outfit (Liefeld-y as it is) makes sense to me, the Ultimate universe's outfits make sense to me... Heck, most of the "new" X-Men costumes of the late '70s to late '80s were just fine. Bringing back trunks was silly.

I share your hate of the trunks, I'm so glad it is a dying trend. I love the Ultimates designs, it is a lot of my inspiration in redesigns.

I think a modern application for Cap would involve rigid ceramic plates (the lightweight sintered stuff, like some of the heat shield tiles on the space shuttle -- I saw a demo of the stuff once, with a delicate teapot made out of it... used to pound a four-inch spike into a block of wood) for large muscles and non-flex-y areas, with overlapping lamés for flex-y, sensitive areas, anti-ballistic gel (the stuff that is fluid until hit with sufficient force) in pockets for added protection around the midriff, internal temperature-regulation, mylar insulation for protection from extreme heat or cold, and like that. I'd even make a bid for vibranium (adamantium in a pinch) to be used where metal is the best option.

Thanks, I will look into those. For my first Cap uniform I'm going for more of the Arkham Batman armor under fabric concept.

I can't, either. :p As soon as I saw the Whiplash Mark II suit I wanted to see it in a nice dark red. And as soon as I saw those whips in action in Iron Man 2, I started concocting some mental scenario of a technological Omega Red -- note those whips disrupting the power systems in the other suits. Maybe even bolstering that suit's power with energy leeched from something he's caught in the whips... I'd add more Iron Man-y repulsors and minimissiles and such, and possibly a wireless TAZER (these have been around for a few years -- UV laser ionizes an air channel, then the current runs down that channel to the target). Oh, and one of Tony's Tesseract-substance reactors. *chuckle*

--Jonah

Tech Omega Red sounds sick! I really want to see that now.

Awesome Wolverine, bub! Loving the leather and those awesome gloves. Wolverine is on my list too, but after I finish up Jean and Cyclops:

View attachment 431415 View attachment 431414 View attachment 431412

(Somehow I've gotten wrangled into making an entire X-family). I'm just shooting for a spandex-free, utilitarian look inspired by the 90's blue/yellow power colors.

Awesome designs as always springsteel! We are getting a lot of X-Men on here now, I better get working on some Avengers to even the odds a little.;)

I'm just shooting for a spandex-free, utilitarian look inspired by the 90's blue/yellow power colors.

The first link in my post just above yours is for 1000-denier coated cordura. They have it in royal blue as well as the navy blue I'm going with, as well as a couple of likely shades of yellow... $11.50 a yard.

Tech Omega Red sounds sick! I really want to see that now.

I'm playing in my headcanon. Coming up with the fun sorts of movie quips, i.e. someone referring to Tony's new friend -- after seeing him in action -- as "some kind of crimson dynamo", but calling the actual repaired and refitted version of the suit "Whiplash Mark Omega", being his final intended iteration of the armor.

--Jonah

The first link in my post just above yours is for 1000-denier coated cordura. They have it in royal blue as well as the navy blue I'm going with, as well as a couple of likely shades of yellow... $11.50 a yard.
--Jonah

I saw that! That fabric will make an awesome tactical-style Cyclops. But because I'm cheap and have lack-luster sewing skills, I'm actually making everything with of thrifted clothing as a base - dyed, altered, and painted. I did that with a Gambit and Rogue and they turned out much better (and cheaper) than I could have sewn myself.

(love the falcon, btw)

I'm playing in my headcanon. Coming up with the fun sorts of movie quips, i.e. someone referring to Tony's new friend -- after seeing him in action -- as "some kind of crimson dynamo", but calling the actual repaired and refitted version of the suit "Whiplash Mark Omega", being his final intended iteration of the armor.

--Jonah[/QUOTE]

I love coming up with backstory details for builds. With mine I like to treat the characters like they are from a multiverse with different history than the comics or movies.

This is my take on the War-Machine, i call it the MkIII...GM[/QUOTE]

Looks absolutely amazing Murdoch! It is my new favorite version of War-Machine

So I have also started a new Iron Man build as well!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422463505331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422463505331.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 144
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422463533000.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422463533000.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422463545930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422463545930.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422463561314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422463561314.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 155
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422463573867.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422463573867.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 167

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back