MR Enterprise SFX Shots

ringa

I thought I'd start a fun thread here.
The ship is the Master Replicas U.S.S. Enterprise.
The stardrive is your imagination.
I'll start with a couple of shots I did today...

[attachmentid=13358]

[attachmentid=13361]

Here is something I always wanted to see on TOS...

[attachmentid=13394]

Ill throw this into the hat from the other thread.
This was more of a proof of concept thing, I will revisit the idea.

ufo.jpg

Last edited:
The E over Tatooine?. ;) Cool shot. :)

I work at a production company so I was able to do this:
beautypass.jpg

Using the old motion control multiple exposure technique, I did the above beauty pass (if a single frame with a stationary camera can be considered a "pass") and then a light pass:

lightpass.jpg

Despite my efforts to secure the camera the two didn't register. So I had to realign every group of lights in Photoshop.

Then I grabbed a starfield background from the opening credits of the show, and viola:
composite2.jpg

But let's make it look like it did in the show, shall we?
composite4.jpg

Whattaya know, those gridlines DO disappear. ;)

Looking good Treadwell. B)

Of course, just as a side note, when Star Trek was made (mid-Sixties), computerized motion control hadn't been invented yet. They just rolled the movie camera past the model on dolly tracks, then used optical compositing to add the backgrounds.

So no separate passes for lights, etc. ;)

- k

Great job with the photography. The last pic looks like a screen shot from the actual tv show. :thumbsup

Outstanding. :eek

What did you use to get from 3 to 4?

Great idea on the light pass. How did you get all the blue out?

BrianM

Thanks.

From 3 to 4 was first to blur the ship layer a bit, then apply a grain filter, and also sliding the color way toward the blue side. Plus drawing a tiny "scratch" and several pieces of "dirt" using the pencil tool at various thicknesses, then blurring and lowering the opacity of that layer.

My light pass just turned out that way. The camera shutter was open for a while so the light overexposed a bit, resulting in the blue blooming out. That would also be why the warp nacelle dome lighting looks the way it does. Would've liked to retain the fan blade look, but oh well. The lights were applied over the beauty shot by the use of a "screen" filter.

To be honest the light pass was probably unnecessary, as the lights were photographing pretty well even with the model brightly lit. Just wanted to try it. ;)

Very nice indeed.

Except for the engine light pattern this could pass for real.

I'll bet with some F-stop/exposer control and by doing an engine only pass you could nail it.

BrianM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ringa @ Mar 31 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]1452427[/snapback]</div>
I thought I'd start a fun thread here.
The ship is the Master Replicas U.S.S. Enterprise.
The stardrive is your imagination.
I'll start with a couple of shots I did today...
[/b]

The Big E with Earth and the space dock in the background look great. Nice job.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrianM @ Mar 31 2007, 11:58 PM) [snapback]1452784[/snapback]</div>
I'll bet with some F-stop/exposer control and by doing an engine only pass you could nail it.
[/b]

Like this?
composite5-1.jpg

I'd forgotten I had this:
flashpass.jpg

Thanks for the nudge. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CessnaDriver @ Mar 31 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1452857[/snapback]</div>
Anyone know how to take a crack at an animated gif with the lights blinking and nacelles spinning?
[/b]

I can do animated gif if someone supplies me a dozen or so frames.

Looks amazing..... :thumbsup Master Replicas should use that pic for the promtional use.
Can you post one without the vertical 'scratch'.... I know it's there for effect, but I'd love to see the pic without it.

best,
KK

Okay -- here are a couple using a low-tech black sheet for a background and a cheap substitute for photoshop... I think I will borrow a copy from work so I can have a bit more control over the compositing. But for now:

view1small.jpg

view2small.jpg

view3small.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back