Picard's desk crystal

Yup. Now add in some red, purple, blue, green and yellow lines for stuff and it's starting to look REALLY familiar :lol

Chris

This is now available as a licensed replica from Roddenberry.com. :D

c49ecdb80511811455c760e44c0eeec6c6b1b9c3.jpg

1414570403e5d6952165d39a83c546d91e35fb90.jpg

e3ce747c9009cee8e77377ceee3dac7e675f656e.jpg

ff2f24d6506c8721ade641cad1ef70d8322354da.jpg

See also the excellent promo video.

crystal-screens.jpg

Attachments

• crystal-screens.jpg
    crystal-screens.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 136
  • crystal-screens.jpg
    crystal-screens.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
The Picard Desk and Dark Crystal by design do evoke similar impressions. The next-up TNG prop release from Roddenberry is Horga'hn, which resembles the man in the middle of the maze from Amazon's Westworld. Yes it is SOME thing, a puzzle, a brain-teaser.

Last edited:
As of the writing of this post, The Roddenberry Shop has shut down, and this Picard Desk Crystal prop is no longer being produced. Initial retail was $99, then dropped in price just before the site shut down. Resellers are now offering it for 2x-3x initial retail.

The crystal is present, often quite obviously, in the TNG episodes below, including elapsed time into the episode when the crystal is seen.

Where Silence Has Lease S2E2 42m48s
Suddenly Human S4E4 14m18s
A Matter of Time S5E9 28m58s
The Masterpiece Society S5E13 43m35s
Hero Worship S5E11 24m12s
Conundrum S5E14 35m12s
The Perfect Mate S5E21 0m22s,22m54s
Gambit Part I S7E4 10m01s

Video source I used was Amazon Prime Video, which I presume are the remastered versions. It would be interesting to see if anyone with initial over-the-air VHS recordings of these episodes can confirm the same - a pursuit of curiosity not of madness [emoji57]

Last edited:
That's a major bummer! I hadn't ordered from there before, but it was really nice to have it as an option.

Ya have to strike while the iron is hot!

Entertainment earth has the rest of Rodd.com’s leftover stock

The crystal is present, often quite obviously, in the TNG episodes below, including elapsed time into the episode when the crystal is seen.

Where Silence Has Lease S2E2 42m48s
Suddenly Human S4E4 14m18s
A Matter of Time S5E9 28m58s
The Masterpiece Society S5E13 43m35s
Hero Worship S5E11 24m12s
Conundrum S5E14 35m12s
The Perfect Mate S5E21 0m22s,22m54s
Gambit Part I S7E4 10m01s

Video source I used was Amazon Prime Video, which I presume are the remastered versions. It would be interesting to see if anyone with initial over-the-air VHS recordings of these episodes can confirm the same - a pursuit of curiosity not of madness [emoji57]

There were even more appearances than that! Back when the replica was being researched and developed, Ryan noticed the crystal in at least 78 out of the 178 episodes of TNG. Also, very early on, there was a second smaller crystal also present on the desk next to it, but this was only in three episodes ("Where Silence Has Lease", "The Schizoid Man", and "Unnatural Selection").

I own this crystal from Roddenberry. It's boxed up and put away now. Although it was limited edition and came with a COA card, there is no serial number or edition size printed on it.

What I can say about the crystal is that the facets are arranged such that when rotated at a particular angle (different for right and left), it matches very well the palm of the hand and fingers when held in a natural, relaxed state.

I had watched many TNG back-in-the-day, but not all of them or repeatedly. So I have no memory context regarding whether the crystal was there all along or not (as some proported hard-core TNG fans contend).

I think Rodd sold them out there were not a lot of them left in the end.

I have one and it is an extremely well made piece.

Damn shame Rodd.com threw the towel in, definitely an end of an era

Perhaps this is a shard from the crystalline entity featured in S1E12/13 "Datalore", later destroyed in S5E4 "Silicon Avatar".

"Datalore"
Riker: Captain, how believable do you find that crystal thing?
Picard: With so little of even our galaxy explored I find it at least possible.

They appear on eBay now and again, usually at wildly inflated prices though.

So I better put up a reminder for this item. Not sure how much inflation I might need to expect but I am prepared to pay good money.
I have a running search for "Roddenberry" just for giggles.

They originally sold for around $200 if memory serves. I've seen double that, sometimes less. I haven't seen the listing in a bit, there was a fella in the UK that had several new in box Rodd items priced at a premium.

I have a running search for "Roddenberry" just for giggles.

They originally sold for around $200 if memory serves. I've seen double that, sometimes less. I haven't seen the listing in a bit, there was a fella in the UK that had several new in box Rodd items priced at a premium.
I presume you don’t remember the name of that gentleman in UK anymore?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back