Skeksis - The Dark Crystal

Ardeliah

I was a bit nervous about posting my version of a skeksis, there are some amazing ones here. But I will anyhow and some of the creating of a Skeksis pics. I had been working on him all year to wear at HAL-CON a convention in Nova Scotia, but had a bit of a hiccup. I always take the week off work before the con to put the finishing details on my cosplays. This year my hubby decided he needed to be deathly ill and be hospitalized for the 2 weeks before the con, so none of the finishing touches were put on. I still managed to win best sculpt at the contest. Which amazed me cause I didn't think I was really a sculptor.

The head I made with plastic canvas, covered in fun foam and then coated in colored liquid latex. I used just a marble for the eyes which I later painted in more details. The frame that I wear is just made from an old backpack with abs and pvc pipe for shaping. I added a strap around the high waist just under the chest so I can go completely hands free while wearing it.

P1020650.JPGP1020654.JPG

This is the head with the latex and some feathers glued on.I used sculpy clay to make the teeth and then glued them on.

P1020737.JPG

Then came the fun part of draping the fabric over the frame.

P1020884.JPG

The hands I made by duct taping coat hanger wire to the pipe. Then wrapping it with newspaper and then masking tape and then a layer of air dry foam clay. Once that all dried I coated it with liquid latex and stuck on some dollar store plastic black nails. Once attatched I clamped on and then duct taped the chain to the wrist which leads to where the head is attached to the frame. I can let the arms hang at the side and not trip over them.
P1020974.JPGP1020976.JPG

And the 'finished' product. I had this taken at the con after the contest. I plan to put in more touches over the year to really flesh it out more.

2014 Skeksis 2.jpg

I think the one big thing that people always forget about this place is that there is always someone here who can learn from what you do, no matter what your skill level is. Just because there are some here that are at a higher skill level, doesn't mean that everyone's attempts aren't valuable to the community so thank you so much for posting your project! I always love to see the under construction of a costume!

I like the work you did on the robes. The cool thing about these costumes is that as your skills improve and you learn new techniques you can do upgrades.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back