Connecting the parts and taking care of your Obi wan real parts saber

HeartBlade

Sr Member
Im hoping I could get some advice with both the the building and caring for your prop made from hard to find materials. So in regard to building, there are three sections I have questions with.

1) Connecting the emitter to the grenade
So Im using a male balance pipe which means that the opening is a little smaller than the accurate female balance pipe which prevents me from using preexisting connectors like Roman's. I thought of using a nut but the size for the emitter does not fit with a 3/8 steel rod. I've given washers a shot which has a perfect fit with the emitter but casues it to be crooked easily. Was wondering how some people addressed this issue so connect the emitter and the grenade.

2) Removing the bearing from the booster
I was wondering if the bearing can be removed from the booster and how. I finally got my hands on a booster with a bearing but have trouble removing the bearing. Might need to go at it with pliers but dont want to damage the bearing.

3) keeping the clamp, grenade, and booster together
I really like having the bearing on the booster since it adds authenticity to the booster and is important to connecting cotter pins on the Obi saber (not planning to add a cotter pin though). This prevents me from using Roman's spacer which needs the booster removed. I was wondering what spacers people with real parts Obi sabers have used, if any, and how they connect the grenade with the clamp and booster so the saber is sturdy.

Finally, I would greatly appreciate it if people could give tips on maintaining their props. I know many people have put alot of work and love into their props and I would hate to see such hard work wither away under the stress of time. I've heard good things about Renaissance wax and will possibly purchase a can for my props unless there are better recommendations.

You can use a preexisting emitter cone/connector, but you might have to sand or machine down the diameter so it fits. I did that with mine.

For the booster and bearing, I wrapped the booster fins with some thick scrap leather to prevent marring, then used a large pipe wrench and breaker bar (a very large socket) to separate the two parts.

You might have to make a custom spacer inside the clamp, if you don't want to drill any screws into your grenade. Delrin works well and is easy to drill out or cut down to size. I used a piece in my saber.

Here's a good thread with some tips for assembly using hardware parts:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/constructing-anh-owk-using-original-parts-13994/

Also check out James Kenobi's thread for some more assembly tips:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/almost-finished-real-parts-obi-wan-anh-saber-58169/

Last edited:
Besides the existing spacers and adapters I guess there are no two exact builts who are using the same assembling.
Its always a thing of who stiff you want it and to what stuff you'll have access to. It also depends on what extra parts you got with your grenade and booster. Some of the parts are brillant to add them to the built.
You can also buy new stuff at a hardware store or you can use vintage stuff, too.
My tip for you is a threaded rod, probably the best way to keep all nice together.

An old idea schematic I had.. It was inspired by a similar method by ATL Kenobi.

A rubber washer (black) in-between two washers (the lower grey and the red which I had planned to cast). Tighten with a hex bolt into the grenade stem and the rubber washer should expand, creating a seal. Then put a washer at the top to hide that there is a hex bolt. The grenade stem should be tapped for 7/16" BSF, but I dunno how deeply on a real grenade - the threaded pin that goes in there is only 1/4" long.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back