ReAction figure collecting thread

Part of the reason for the change in the sculpt quality is because the first figures, the Alien ones, were a passion project by just a few guys that truly just loved the old prototypes and wanted to see the toys finally get made. They did castings from the original prototypes and faithfully hand sculpted new versions of some one-offs that the owners wouldn't let them cast. And the first few lines that came out after the Funko partnership made the production a reality were still from that early stage of love and not cranking out toys because licenses were owned. But, in typical Funko fashion, they took that initial popularity and decided to push their other licenses into the ReAction line. So it was no longer a few passionate toy lovers casting and sculpting a loved project, forming a partnership, and getting it made, but a larger scale mass production process, and I fell that the quality of toys reflect that change.

Funko has great licenses and has found some great niche marketplaces that has skyrocket them from a smallish bobble head maker to a giant in the toy market that can't even manage the lines and crowds at their SDCC booth because each year it gets exponentially larger from the previous year, so they are never truly prepared to handle it. But their QC is crap. Their Pop! figures are a mess of overspray, random paint splatter, and laughably bad seam lines. The Mystery Minis are somewhat better, but still have issues of their own. So the same lower quality is now bleeding into the ReAction line from what the figures were originally.

As a whole, I think Funko has some great ideas and licenses, I just wish that they would take a breath, slow down a bit, and figure out how to produce better quality toys rather than just cranking them out faster than people can even buy 'em.

I have to agree, those are pretty cool looking. I know the likenesses aren't really there, but it has a great overall "feel".

I should also add that I recently picked up Kane with facehugger and the "metallic" alien from wave 2 of the Alien series. I originally wasn't going to buy the metallic alien as it's just a repaint of the wave 1 figure...but the same could be said about the white space suited Ripley.
Anyway, I like it because it reminds me of the 18" Alien Kenner made.

I also picked up an extra Ash figure with the intent of making a custom "android reveal" version. Now I'm just trying to figure how they would have sculpted it back in the 70's/80's.

I tried to channel that 80's figure vibe when doing this. I keep debating weather or not to add some white liquid splatter...but that looks to much like a certain bodily fluid to me.

ash1.jpg

Attachments

• ash2.jpg
    ash2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 110
  • ash3.jpg
    ash3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 119
My buddy got the Escape From NY Snake one from his new girlfriend and really likes it. I sense a new collecting addiction starting for him. I think everyone had a crush on Elizabeth back in the 80s, she's still hot.

After seeing a picture of the Snake Plisskin without the jacket, I was surprised by how well it looked (maybe it was just the lighting, but it looked close enough to Kurt Russell).

I went to Valdosta last weekend and saw at FYE a ReAction figure I surely wasn't expecting. I never in my lifetime would have thought any toy company would make an action figure of Bruce, the Great White from Jaws. I have to admit, the figure looked quite a lot like Bruce animatronic, I thought it was made by NECA. But when I saw the ReAction logo, it was quite a surprised because I didn't know that Jaws was going to be one of the titles they were going to do. Glad that they did. :)

I have been staying away from these because I don't need another expense, but I did pick up a couple of Gremlins figures which was a must buy for me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back