STAR WARS EP 7 Kylo Ren build

Froggie19Dude

Hi everybody,

I'm not at all excited to see JJ Abrams wreck STAR WARS, and I think that medieval sword-saber thing looks silly, but I can't get the images of Kylo Ren/the new villain out of my head. So, I thought I'd get a jump on the world and star building a replica now.

The problem? Images are limited. We only see him from behind in the trailer, and there are very few official images as of yet. But with that said, I can't believe that anyone here on the RPF would let THAT stop them!

So, what do we have to work with?
star-wars-the-force-awakens-sith.jpg
From the trailer. Looks like long, Vader style skirt, belt, boots, gloves and dark cloak.

images.jpg
This image of his helmet. It may or may not be finalized, but is very remeniscent of the original McQuarrie Vader/Samurai concept art with a hint of Mortal Combat thrown in.
Sithinquisitor.jpg
This picture from the front. the quality isn't great, but it gives a clear idea of contrasting fabrics, the chrome/black elements of the helmet, what I -think- is his chest armor, and the odd feathery fur of his cape. It doesn't look like the hood is made of the same material, rather that it's a separate cowl.
chinese-starwars-leaked-star-wars-episode-7-s-kylo-ren-s-concept-art-looks-rather-awesome.jpeg
This image of his action figure, which may or may not be complete. That's him on the far left. Signals to me that he probably does have a separate cowl/hood.

And finally these:

5_164.jpgkylo-ren-2.jpg

Judging final designs from concept art is always a risk, but I think it's a fair assumption that is Kylo on the right. That may be him in the left image too, but I'm not convinced just yet. I think that is acutally Kylo kneeling at the cyborg dude's feet, and that the vader-ish cyborg is a different character, likely Max Von Sydow.

Anyway, the basic costume build seems easy. I'm working on designs for the hood/cowl, and I think the cape is fairly straightforward too. So...the helmet.

I have a great Vader pep file, so I could just extract the helmet piece from that. The face piece is trickier since none of the images seem totally consistent with one another. That said, if anyone has a working design or pep file, show it here!

So...um, suggestions?

I hate to bump something 4 weeks old, but I made a short and simple guide to Kylo Ren with what little information and images we have. Of course, not everything about this sith was explained.

Kylo Ren.jpg

Thanks for the breakdown, man! This is great!

I've a feeling it's not the only form Kylo Ren will take. All the concept art of the "Grave Robber" shows heavy cybernetic implants, and one picture from set showed a metallic arm. That doesn't mean they all belong to Kylo; they could belong to another character, most likely Max Von Sydow, whose identity we have yet to learn, though recent art shows him without any kind of implants.
Force-For-Change1.pngstar-wars-the-force-awakens-concept-art-shows-max-von-sydows-character.jpginquisitor-star-wars-episode-vii-e1408136050518.pngStar-Wars-7.jpg
My guess at this point: Kylo Ren is obsessed with Darth Vader, possibly even going by that name, and Luke scars him and cuts off his arm in a duel reminiscent of ObiWan vs. Anakin, which actually makes Kylo into the new Vader.

Either way, I've started on the robe and have an idea for the helmet, though a true PDO would be great. And I still think that crossguard saber looks like a toy more than a functional weapon...

That's great to hear about the robe, you may be the first cosplayer to build a Kylo Ren costume.
Also if you're looking for a good clear image of the mask, I found a fan manip that looked like an accurate interpretation
kylo_ren_star_wars_wallpaper_01_1680x1050_by_ivananebpehtire-d8cuoej.png

I'll admit I had my doubts about the crossguard for a few days after the trailer, but this video really helped me see the potential that design has; I'd even go so far as to say that the crossguard lightsaber seems more practical then say a double-bladed lightsaber or lightwhip.

Don't get me started on the Inquisitor's lightsaber.......even the general grievous toy lightsaber makes more sense than his
GreivousLightsaber700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great fanmanip shot! I've been thinking of just altering a Vader helmet and then trying to add the mouthpiece.

And interesting about the crossguard saber...one observation (and criticism) I've read is that sabers, unlike swords, don't slide against each other; they lock in place when two blades strike. I've not sat down to watch all 6 movies to see if that's true, but to the best of my memory it is. I just think it looks fairly ridiculous, and while STAR WARS kinda always has been silly, it's never gone that far over the top, certainly not with the Jedi-foo.

There's also a fan theory that Ren's saber doesn't function correctly, or that building lightsabers is a lost art. That bit sounds pretty likely to me, despite the five-count em, FIVE--we know we're getting in this film--Luke, Rey, Finn, the Wampa Saber, which apparently belongs to some Stormtrooper and Kylo Ren. I'm also praying to the cinema gods that Leia has one too. If I don't see Carrie Fisher throw down in a lightsaber duel, there's no justice in the universe.

And yes. You're totally right about the Inquisitor saber. It seems like they're getting a bit desperate for ideas, which, given that we're getting a new Star Wars film every 1-2 years until the end of time, does not bode well.

Generally, I don't think it happens. Obviously a prop blade can't stick to another during filming, so of course there's movement. But in Star Wars lore, the sliding of blades against each other is not common. That seems to imply that they do lock-up, and that sliding one blade on another would be a show of power and control rather than casual fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, I don't think it happens. Obviously a prop blade can't stick to another during filming, so of course there's movement. But in Star Wars lore, the sliding of blades against each other is not common. That seems to imply that they do lock-up, and that sliding one blade on another would be a show of power and control rather than casual fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYT3ctPuVRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBgZ5NZeUk

this is off topic but i dont get it? how can anakin kill dooku in that video when he kills him in episode 3?

this is off topic but i dont get it? how can anakin kill dooku in that video when he kills him in episode 3?

It was an allusion, Yoda was being tested. If you haven't seen TCW, I advise you do. Season 1 and the first half of 2 may be hard to get through, but everything beyond is fantastic.

I'm not at all excited to see JJ Abrams wreck STAR WARS...

I just have to say that I find this statement and others like it hilarious. No need to worry about J. J. Abrams destroying Star Wars. George Lucas already did that a long time ago. I think there is potential with Disney at the helm. A chance to give Star Wars a fresh start. I'm cautiously optimistic as long as the script and characters are there, I'm in.

BTW:

The third photo down makes me think that this character and costume will soon become a fan favorite. I have to admit, I think it looks pretty bad ass!

I suppose I set myself up for this one by even mentioning my distaste for Abrams' work; however I would remind you this isn't the place to debate the virtues or shortcomings of the STAR WARS films. There is another thread for that, I'm sure.

One final opinion on that subject before we get back to Kylo:

Disney has grand ambitions for the future of STAR WARS; no doubt about that. There is nothing in Abrams resume, however, to suggest he has the directorial finesse or writing skills to live up to the hype and legend that STAR WARS holds in pop culture. In that vein, Lucas didn't "wreck" the movies either, he just put himself in an untenable position by doing prequels which by nature have a foregone and known conclusion and thus no suspense, and by making Anakin the protagonist, an unlikable focus. The man was always clear that he thought of STAR WARS as a "Disney" (ironic, no?), silly, kiddie adventure with groundbreaking special effects. He made it clear that the delay in making the second trilogy (other than the first destroying his marriage) had to do with developing new effects techniques, not innovations in story structure. Well, that's what we got: goofy movies with goundbreaking effects.
Somewhere between JEDI & PHANTOM MENACE the audience started to take the stories deadly serious though, and so the backlash was huge. For that matter, though we all like to think of Anakin as redeemed at the end of Jedi because he saves Luke, does that -really- absolve him of the genocide of the Jedi order? Whole planets wiped out? Killing children in cold blood? The prequel series just reminds us that even if Luke remains noble, he didn't save Anakin. A sequel trilogy would be interesting if it explored that, but that's not what Abrams has the courage or knowhow to do. Instead, we're getting more desert planets, stormtroopers, ice planets and a cyborg villain--literally more of the same.

Which brings us back full circle to Kylo Ren. Establishing an iconic and intriguing villain, both visually and psychologically, as Darth Vader is a monumental challenge. Lucas at least managed the visuals with Darth Maul, and Ian McDirmid made Palpatine fascinating, but Adam Driver doesn't do much for me as an actor. The costume I obviously think has some cool elements, but as we also established on this thread, we don't have a really clear picture of what it looks like in detail yet. Truth be told, I think it just looks comfortable, and I like getting a jump on the next phase of pop costuming. :angel

More likely to me to be the breakout costume is the chrome trooper. After all, everyone likes something shiny. AND they get to carry lightsabers.

I still hate the crossguard saber. I have visions of a confrontation with Luke: "You know it's supposed to be an elegant weapon of a civilized age, not a crude, medieval bludgeoning tool, right?"
Kylo's response: "Yeah, but it looks cool and will sell toys!"
Luke: "You know how many toys -I- have sold, dude?"

Alright everyone, slight detour...

Kylo's costume isn't quite doing it for me, in part because I need better photo guides, in part because I'm not yet sold on the character. So I'm adapting! I added a leather duster and need some accents and notions now. I'm still going for a slight medieval Sith type look, and I remembered these:
500px-Bavmorda's_arm_turning_to_stone.png
Those cool polygons on Bavmorda's cloak. Any idea what they are or how I'd find them? They look solid, like armor, but I've never seen anything like that anywhere. I realize I'd probably have to sew them all on by hand (scream) but if it makes the coat look cool, hey, why not!

Very nice. Looks like a cool costume with not necessarily ton of hard armor parts, that should keep the cost/complexity down. We need to find a good mask/helmet maker! Good luck.

Very nice. Looks like a cool costume with not necessarily ton of hard armor parts, that should keep the cost/complexity down. We need to find a good mask/helmet maker! Good luck.
I agree, I can do a ton of it myself, it's just getting that helmet that's going to be complicated!

is this the dude?

Attachments

• w2rmkvgtocnsct8xrh3e.jpg
    w2rmkvgtocnsct8xrh3e.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 731
  • zv0pcvivtjed6en1cgae.jpg
    zv0pcvivtjed6en1cgae.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 688
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back