Bandai release schedule

If I remember right, Hera only flew the prototype in athmosphere. Maybe the B-Wing is setverticaly in athmosphere and for landing approach and crucifix-mode in space

I can buy that, but I'm not sure what advantage keeping the cockpit level would do in a dogfight (the ship would still be doing loops and dives). I assume Star Wars fighters have some kind of inertia dampeners that prevent the pilots from being smeared into jelly or barfing their lunch every time the ship does a high-G turn or spin. It seems like having the cockpit level to the horizon while the rest of the ship is spinning around you would only make operating the ship harder not easier. Your guns would constantly be in a different firing position. Computers could keep up with it, I guess, but again what is the advantage to staying level? From a pilot's point of view, it would make more sense to stay oriented to your target, not the horizon. In other words, the pilot is always "level" regardless of what is happening outside his or her windshield.

I can buy that, but I'm not sure what advantage keeping the cockpit level would do in a dogfight (the ship would still be doing loops and dives). I assume Star Wars fighters have some kind of inertia dampeners that prevent the pilots from being smeared into jelly or barfing their lunch every time the ship does a high-G turn or spin. It seems like having the cockpit level to the horizon while the rest of the ship is spinning around you would only make operating the ship harder not easier. Your guns would constantly be in a different firing position. Computers could keep up with it, I guess, but again what is the advantage to staying level? From a pilot's point of view, it would make more sense to stay oriented to your target, not the horizon. In other words, the pilot is always "level" regardless of what is happening outside his or her windshield.

FWIW: That's the way ILM built it. You can see them rotate it in these excellent reference pics:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=6160

kg_lfa_b-wing-041.jpg

kg_lfa_b-wing-040.jpg

FWIW: That's the way ILM built it. You can see them rotate it in these excellent reference pics:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=6160

View attachment 797092

View attachment 797093

Oh, there's no doubt the cockpit can rotate 360 degrees. I'm just saying for me personally it doesn't make much sense and it's orientation in the film shows it flying as a crucifix -- which I have no problem with considering ships like the Medical frigate and Resistance bomber have similar tall and narrow flight designs.

I think the other thing those photos show is that if the model's cockpit can be rotated by hand that probably means ILM never motorized it. Back in the day, filmming the cockpit rotating would've required a computer controlled motor so that the action could be exactly repeated for multiple camera passes. I believe I've read that the B-Wing was a rather late addition to the space battle, so ILM may have simply run out of time to motorize the cockpit. I've never seen unused storyboards that show shots of the cockpit rotating, but maybe they exist.

In any event, it doesn't really matter. It's easy enough to imagine that some pilots may choose to use the rotating feature while others don't. (That being said, the pilots at the Endor battle clearly didn't. :angel)

I think the other thing those photos show is that if the model's cockpit can be rotated by hand that probably means ILM never motorized it. Back in the day, filmming the cockpit rotating would've required a computer controlled motor so that the action could be exactly repeated for multiple camera passes. I believe I've read that the B-Wing was a rather late addition to the space battle, so ILM may have simply run out of time to motorize the cockpit. I've never seen unused storyboards that show shots of the cockpit rotating, but maybe they exist.

In any event, it doesn't really matter. It's easy enough to imagine that some pilots may choose to use the rotating feature while others don't. (That being said, the pilots at the Endor battle clearly didn't. :angel)

Unfortunately, the B-wing pilot's exploits mostly ended up on the cutting room floor.

I had a poster, possibly this image, which shows them in horizontal mode:

BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg

It's also possible the people rotating it by hand, didn't care about any possible damage they they would do.

Yeah, that was a promotional pic that ILM did to copy this McQuarrie painting.
latest.jpg
What's interesting is that even though both images show the ship flying in horizontal flight, all three ships have their cockpits aligned to the same plane. Does this mean the B-Wings' flight computers linked to each other so the entire squad used the same "horizon"? So officially, we only see two orientations for the cockpit -- vertically and horizontally.

I remember reading somewhere that the B-wing is an attack craft, and that the cockpit rotates to keep the pilot's view fixed on his approaching target. Think skimming the ground at tree-top level.

Most of the B-wing shots were cut because the tall thin shape disappeared in a blur during fast motion across the screen, so we mostly saw only shots of them flying toward or away from camera.

This is a very welcome kit. I wonder how Bandai will scale it at 1/72, it's quite a bit larger than most of the other fighters.

Unfortunately, with Bandai's history of making "exhibition only" models and the B-Wing apparently being one of them, we're probably not getting this kit. Luckily, still have my PG Falcon to work on. :thumbsup

I haven't gone through all 200 pages - anyone know if there are more planned 1/6 scale characters (other than the stormtrooper)? I'd love a C-3PO model in shiny gold (as opposed to just buying a Sideshow version)

Ooommgggg.. I have been going for this b-wing to come out by bandai :)
So happy... Loopy
Looked a little online and I found out that
Is is expected to come late spring early summer 2018.
I truly can't wait for it.. this is one of my favorite ships :)

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

If we're getting a Bandai B-Wing...

Who's going to motorize those S-foils and how are they going to do it?

Discuss.

[emoji38]
S-foils? Help me out here.
I know I will be building it up sideways not strait up. And I will be damn sure lighting it :)

***Update***

Now I get it.. wookywiki helpt out there ;)
But I think I will give that a try.. don't know how that will work but.. the love I got for this model will be worth it to give it a go ;)

Here's how the landing gear looks on the Rebels prototype, so maybe the best idea from a canon source as to what the gear would look like:

View attachment 797371

View attachment 797372
Ooo wauwwww... Yeah that would work... Sweet.. I only don't think they now used reference from the rebel series but only from movie props. And I don't think they are allowed to ad something that's not on there for passing it's "ok" from Lucas arts. But who know..

Ooo wauwwww... Yeah that would work... Sweet.. I only don't think they now used reference from the rebel series but only from movie props. And I don't think they are allowed to ad something that's not on there for passing it's "ok" from Lucas arts. But who know..

Sure, it's just speculation, though Bandai has been permitted to invent things for their models in the past (removable engine coverings on the TIE fighter for example). If a detail like this is the kind of thing that the Lucasfilm Story Group has input on it seems that a likely point of reference would be the Blade Wing design, though :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back