Bandai release schedule

Because Bandai's obviously kiddy method of following a diagram and putting together pieces after cutting them off from a sprue like every other commercial model kit made that isn't fully scratchbuilt from styrene or what-have-you isn't real model building. :rolleyes

Sort of. Indeed, yes. There is not much difference to a bought display piece.

Other kits might be not that "perfect", but at least they provide a wide range of end results, depending on the skill and wishes of each builder.
Much more interesting to look at.

As a judge at a contest with a premade list of points to give for certain building aspects, what do you think where a Bandai ends? Even with full points for a great paint job, without doing much modeling you usually don´t get much points in the other categorys.

Spare us the gatekeeping, please, and that is all I have to say on the matter.

No.

The AMT/MPC Falcon offers a chance to do a build of the ship and how it looks at the end of Solo, after doing the Kessel run. I have one and I'm considering doing just that with it.

Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate (not to mention cheaper) to take the Bandai Lando Falcon and beat the crud out of it? I mean, it's mostly a matter of taking away things, like the front landing gear boxes, rather than scratching all the hull plates, fixing the curvature, etc.

This is incredible. For AGES people complained of badly fitting kits, lack of decent kits etc and them Bandai comes into the scene. Those very same people who complained now complain of kits been too easy and go as far as saying guys who love them and build them are not REAL modelers. Give me a fricking break, ok? It almost sounds as if there is some jealousy in those comments. Are you MAD that now there is a kit that can be built out of the box and kicks your beloved model which you spent hours modifying, cutting, sanding out of the water?? That it? Well.....IT happens! Live with it.

I love Bandai models, built them and paint them and photograph them with satisfactory, to me, results. Ive done the whole sanding, and ill fitting kits, Ive done scratchbuilding and believe me I prefer a good Bandai. My favorite part of any build is the painting and weathering process, that is what makes a model. There are even people here who just dismissed Bandai builds, no matter how good just because the bigot in them thinks it was too easy. Well, they dont paint and detail by themselves....

Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate (not to mention cheaper) to take the Bandai Lando Falcon and beat the crud out of it? I mean, it's mostly a matter of taking away things, like the front landing gear boxes, rather than scratching all the hull plates, fixing the curvature, etc.

Now that I think about it... Yes.. it would be... I have other plans for the MPC. Good call.

Because clearly we call something that comes entirely in parts that you have to cut off from sprues, sand off some nub marks, put together, paint up, weather, and modify to one's heart's content a pre-built display piece and not a real model kit :rolleyes

Last edited:
Sort of. Indeed, yes. There is not much difference to a bought display piece.

Other kits might be not that "perfect", but at least they provide a wide range of end results, depending on the skill and wishes of each builder.
Much more interesting to look at.

As a judge at a contest with a premade list of points to give for certain building aspects, what do you think where a Bandai ends? Even with full points for a great paint job, without doing much modeling you usually don´t get much points in the other categorys.

No.

Sorry, man, but I have to disagree on your first point... There is a huge difference between these kits and a bought display piece. To be quite honest, I don't get your point with that comment. I can see what you're trying to get at, but just because someone can scratch build something, doesn't make them any more talented than someone who assembles a box kit and does a stellar paint job. I'm not saying there isn't skill involved in putting together a scratch build piece, because obviously there is... But an artist is an artist no matter how they get to the end piece.

I will say this... I find it more impressive when someone models a project in 3D then prints it and then paints it to perfection than a kitbashed styrene build. There are equal degrees of difficulty with both approaches, but you can get exact results with a 3D model. Kitbashing, while fun, relies more on what you can find an put together. I love both approaches, but if I'm choosing one, I'm going the 3D model to 3D printer method.

As far as judging goes... well, that's really subjective. To a point it's objective, but it all depends on what category it's in, what the judges are looking for, etc. There are mass produced kit builds that are better 'looking' that some scratch builds. The opposite is also true.

Just my 2 cents...

Sure, K44, i agree with your post nearly 99%.

There is a place for all of that, but it´s just not the same. Not really something that can be compared or compete directly.

There is a difference between a shake and bake kit, a "standard" kit, a kitbashed kit or a scratchbuild kit. All the later need the same painting skills, but additional they need more building skills (and diffent building skills, too).

As a judge you also see upset people with "i added each available PE/3Dprinted-upgrade set that´s available, why don´t you judged my build over this more oob-kit?" Then try to explain that this other build is just BUILD better, and that the pure existence of better deteiled addons is no neccessary a guarantee to get a better place in contest.

Scarecrow, maybe you understand me better when you know that painting and weathering is something for me that i need to do. The least liked part of a build for me, a neccessary evil. I can do it, but i prefer the building stages.
I rarely complained about the existing kits, i usually complained about not enough kits available. And that is the one thing about Bandai where i would give Bandai the gold medal, even if nearly none of their kits fits my wishes. I ordered the B-Wing, long waited for one in 1/72, maybe will add it to my hangar dio. Would also order a 1/72 Tydirium (and some other kits if they ever release them).

Many other kits have the wrong scale/size for the special subject. My stash has already more stuff than i ever can build in this lifetime, so i am very selective what i add. 1/72 is a great scale for dios, big enough to have something to see and small enough to build bigger scenes. But for a standalone fighter on display i prefer something around 1/32 (studioscale is also to big for my taste). That doesn´t make smaller or bigger scales than my prefered not bad, just nothing for me. Something equally for big ships - a 15cm Tantive, Enterprise, or SD does nothing for me - they need a certain size to reflect their original (should be) dimensions. If Bandai offers a 30-45cm Tantive ..... i´m in, no matter i already have 2 JPG Tantives in 1/350 . Just not that small they released now.

But the size aspect and the building aspect are different things for me, and under the line my opinions to both are just that, my opinions. It´s my point of view, but nothing that should convince someone to follow my opinion. Another argument in a discussion, nothing more. One of the reasons the world gets more and more boring is that most people can´t agree to disagree and go on, as soon as not everyone hails up to whatever they show (no matter the reasons) they immediatly feel being attacked. They can´t stand opposite opinions and still accept that other opinions are equally valid as their own, not better or wronger than their own, just different.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the "not a true modeler" argument was applied to Bandai kits. Is anyone who likes the PT not a true fan, too? Stop trying to gatekeep the hobby, it's obnoxious and exclusionary.

It´s not. But it´s still a different aproach to get a end result. One is easyir available, and the other needs much more patience/endurance/heartblood (no matter or guarantee one is a better end result).

You need to explain what part is exclusionary? Different, yes. But why exclusionary?
It´s a fact that friends of me that never build models, now buy those build game ships or bandai kits, just cause they are SW-fans and want them have on display. Not for building them, they only want the end result. Different clientel.
Exclusionary it would be to ignore them, but i always offer them to use my shops, tools and knowledge to get the best they can get or want. I would call that inclusionary, no matter it´s usually not my cup of tea at building.

Because calling people who like to build their model kits from a specific manufacturer not "real" model builders isn't exclusionary at all, oh no. :rolleyes

You know what, this isn't worth my time. I'm logging out for a bit.

That has nothing to do with a specific manufacturer, if it would be Moebius, Revell (haha, yeah, i know) or any other company that makes them, it would be the same.

Compare it with painting a picture oldschool on a blank canvas, or use one of these premade canvas (with lines and numbers for what color to put where), At the end both are painted, and probably the premade one will look better, but it still was easier, no matter the other probably put more time and work into his. Just different, push both in the same drawer is not correct, for both not..

well said,spot on!!!
This is incredible. For AGES people complained of badly fitting kits, lack of decent kits etc and them Bandai comes into the scene. Those very same people who complained now complain of kits been too easy and go as far as saying guys who love them and build them are not REAL modelers. Give me a fricking break, ok? It almost sounds as if there is some jealousy in those comments. Are you MAD that now there is a kit that can be built out of the box and kicks your beloved model which you spent hours modifying, cutting, sanding out of the water?? That it? Well.....IT happens! Live with it.

I love Bandai models, built them and paint them and photograph them with satisfactory, to me, results. Ive done the whole sanding, and ill fitting kits, Ive done scratchbuilding and believe me I prefer a good Bandai. My favorite part of any build is the painting and weathering process, that is what makes a model. There are even people here who just dismissed Bandai builds, no matter how good just because the bigot in them thinks it was too easy. Well, they dont paint and detail by themselves....

I’ve spent months accurising a Bandai 1:350 Falcon to the best of my modest abilities. This was from a post I made today about the radar dish. Respectfully disagree.

62B9B222-3021-4B2C-94D1-C1C9A92368C6.jpegA03F73C8-00EB-4C3F-8D94-A0DF50CDBC35.jpeg84223C9E-C99A-4B89-B363-5B0F1258DE7A.jpeg

For an "easy" kit, the Bandai PG still required weeks of careful assembly (I have kids, a wife, and a life outside of models), modifications, painting, weathering, and decal application -- and I'm STILL not done with the underside decals. There was nothing easy about it.

I get the idea, but I would like to disagree.
Bandai not only challenges your modelling skills, but also your standard of pursuit.
Bandai forces you to improve and expand your modeling skills by invalidating old modelling skills like "assembling ill-fitted parts," if that is, you have the will and obsessive attention to detail to make the model even better than what could be achieved by just assembling the kit and by purchasing mod parts; a pursuit which is much more challenging than when building MPC/AMT/Ertl kits.
I don't disagree, but learning the basics of building a model kit and adding "mod" parts to an existing kit are two different sets of skills. And if a modeler doesn't know how to properly hide seams, re-scribe or re-sculpt surface detail, lay down a decent coat of paint, and so on, all of the "mod" parts available won't make the finished build look that much better.

Just to be clear, I was making an observation, not a complaint. And I have never once in my life said anyone wasn't a "real modeler". I've built my fair share of poorly engineered kits and complained about them just like everyone else, so I sincerely appreciate it when companies like Bandai and Moebius produce kits that are considerably easier to build and don't require all of that extra work--it brings the "fun" back into the hobby.

I simply think it's important for every modeler to learn how to work around any "issues" a specific kit might have because, let's face it, even now there are still a lot of imperfect kits out there. Revell and AMT have been notorious for reissuing model kits that were engineered in the 1960s and 70s, using old molds that resulted in kits that had excess material (i.e., "flash") and soft detail. Round 2 (who now owns AMT) is still reissuing kits like this. And if someone who has only built Bandai's well engineered Star Wars kits gets their hands on one of AMT's aging reissues, they won't know how to deal with the imperfections and their disappointment could turn them away from the hobby. And that's all I was trying to say. So you and anyone else here can call me a jealous, angry old man as much as you like; I honestly don't care, because I'm neither jealous nor angry and I've been called far worse. ;) And it won't change my opinion--and that's all it is, my opinion--that regardless of whether you're building a model kit, or learning to drive a car, or whatever you're attempting to do, there are a set of basic skills that need to be learned first, then improved upon through practice and trial and error.

All models are blank canvases. I for one am a purist, the more accurate the model is the more appealing and enjoyable it is to me.

Some enjoy to actually scratch build a kit, some like to bash, some like perfect grades. All modelers, all hobbiests, all levels of fulfillment’s. I’m a painter, and really enjoy pushing my skills that way. Just because some cut up some styrene doesn’t make his modeling better or worse then my pursuit of the perfect paint job. Or even that he worked harder then I did. Best hobby in the world on any anvenue the modeler wants to enjoy.

That has nothing to do with a specific manufacturer, if it would be Moebius, Revell (haha, yeah, i know) or any other company that makes them, it would be the same.

Compare it with painting a picture oldschool on a blank canvas, or use one of these premade canvas (with lines and numbers for what color to put where), At the end both are painted, and probably the premade one will look better, but it still was easier, no matter the other probably put more time and work into his. Just different, push both in the same drawer is not correct, for both not..

They can be a pain to light! Some fit together like a solid block of plastic and light blocking can be a pain. While the Bandai kits go together well, some basic mods can be hard due to their snap construction and the tolerances are so slight they can take some real fiddling to put together well once you’ve modded them. And while they’re great, some of the moulded detail is still a bit toy-like in places... The 1/144 Falcon needs a ton of modding to look completely in scale.

But the beauty of them are kits that people at any level can get a lot out of. They might yet make me a starship modeller again :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back