Bandai release schedule

As far as the AT-AT Walker goes,,,,, I don't want any of the mechanized holding apparatus. I really want the legs being articulated so I can pose the kit how I like, but I don't want to sacrifice the underside detail to house a large armature to hold the kit up just so it can "walk" for my entertainment. I want the kit to sit in a diorama unhindered with no visible braces.
I'm just saying.
I have maybe five 72nd resin B-Wings but will still buy several Bandai kits. I will splurge and get several At-At Walkers in all.
This is going to be a great summer (draining on the pocket book though)

Love the design, very McQuarriesque.
Cant wait to get it!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is, I'm not aware of any McQuarrie designs that went in to any of the movies without a fairly significant modification to move it away from his minimalist style. The film makers really need to be accounting for Joe Johnston's influence a lot more.

The problem is, I'm not aware of any McQuarrie designs that went in to any of the movies without a fairly significant modification to move it away from his minimalist style. The film makers really need to be accounting for Joe Johnston's influence a lot more.

Well, the new design is not pure McQuarrie, its combo of McQuarrie and the film style, although the McQuarrie influence is easily seen.

That's the beauty of art... Inspiration can come from many places and people or things... Or whatever.. What's most important in this case is that the essence of what is Star Wars and the Falcon is maintained. From what I can see, this is true.

.... in this case is that the essence of what is Star Wars and the Falcon is maintained. From what I can see, this is true.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think this design would have made it in to the original trilogy - even taking in to account the different requirements (as Lando's sweet ride). McQuarrie might have come up with something like this, but his style didn't make it in to the movies without going through a strong filter from Joe and the modelshop.

I'm as big of a fan of McQuarrie's work as anyone, but my problem is that at this point I think the PTB at Not-Lucasfilm use McQuarrie's designs mainly as a crutch to avoid fan criticism. "What? You don't like this design? But it's based on the great Ralph McQuarrie's work! Everyone loves McQuarrie!" I'd like to see them come up with some new and inspired designs, but I don't think the current regime has that kind of courage.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think this design would have made it in to the original trilogy - even taking in to account the different requirements (as Lando's sweet ride). McQuarrie might have come up with something like this, but his style didn't make it in to the movies without going through a strong filter from Joe and the modelshop.

But you can't argue that this Falcon isn't Falcon-like. Because it is. The great thing about art is that two people looking at the same thing can see totally different things. Art is subjective, for the most part.

Looks like we may have to agree to disagree.

As a concept artist myself and a longtime fan of McQuarries work i can see the mcquarrie influences in this design.
The minimalist textures on the hull, the cannons, the radar dish, and an overall 70’s vibe with the capsule shaped motifs.
No one is saying you have to accept the design or like it. The e original ILM team will never be together again and you’re never going to know whether any new designs would, or wouldnt, have been used in the original trilogy.

Im simply basing my own opinion on my personal taste and my own observation that McQuarries influence is clearly visible in this design.
Whether this design would have made it into the original trilogy does not matter to me nor was I expecting it to.

If theyre using McQuarries design as a crutch then so be it...i have no issues with that.
at least there going off the original material.

Last edited:
I'm as big of a fan of McQuarrie's work as anyone, but my problem is that at this point I think the PTB at Not-Lucasfilm use McQuarrie's designs mainly as a crutch to avoid fan criticism. "What? You don't like this design? But it's based on the great Ralph McQuarrie's work! Everyone loves McQuarrie!" I'd like to see them come up with some new and inspired designs, but I don't think the current regime has that kind of courage.

I think the U-wing is one of the best designs in all of Star Wars. The rest of them though...yeah...

I think the U-wing is one of the best designs in all of Star Wars. The rest of them though...yeah...

Yeah, the U-Wing is a notable exception. But even in that case, it's mostly a mash-up of previous design elements (X-wing engines, Y-wing cockpit, Falcon forked front). It works since it was meant to fit in alongside the other rebel ships.

As far as the AT-AT Walker goes,,,,, I don't want any of the mechanized holding apparatus. I really want the legs being articulated so I can pose the kit how I like, but I don't want to sacrifice the underside detail to house a large armature to hold the kit up just so it can "walk" for my entertainment. I want the kit to sit in a diorama unhindered with no visible braces.
I'm just saying.
I have maybe five 72nd resin B-Wings but will still buy several Bandai kits. I will splurge and get several At-At Walkers in all.
This is going to be a great summer (draining on the pocket book though)

Sigh. The posting of the *exhibition* walker was from FOUR years ago. Bandai is NOT producing it as far as anyone knows (neither are they a B-Wing, until we have an official announcement from Bandai).

The Star Wars Rebels show adopted a ton of McQuarrie and Johnston concept designs to represent pre-OT versions of familiar vehicles - speeder bike, A-wing, AT-AT, AT-ST (renamed AT-DP), and others. This extended to droid, character, costume, and building design as well. It's enough that "McQuarrie concept painting" seems like the definitive look of the period between Episodes III and IV. Since the new movie is set in that period, going back to the McQuarrie paintings for Lando's (factory fresh? hot-rodded?) Falcon definitely fits in.

And after all, was FineMolds correct by keeping the mandibles parallel? For that nose capsule, it should be perfectly parallel

Actually, there should be the slightest toe-out. So the capsule won’t bind going in and out of dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back