Bandai release schedule

With the amount of detail bandai packs into these small "vehicle model" kits the blockade runner with be a must buy for sure. The little kits are affordable, dont take up much room and are packed with accurate details.

Hmmm.

I do scratchbuilds, and there are some kits out there with my name for making the master.

And I am still no fanboy for 90 percent of the Bandai offerings. Nice detailing on some parts, but toy like panelling as deathstar trenches. Or way to small.

Now, what makes that from me in today's hallelujah Bandai times?

The minority. Mine don't look like toys either.

No idea who´s the X and the Y builds are that you posted above, but they are good proof of my statement.

Painting rescues it somehow, but those out of scale panellines (not the fault of the builder) are ridicuolous.

You are also in the minority about that but I will respect your opinion. Attacking me as the builder dont change that either. I clearly stated I build them, you know that. So mine could be ridiculous, others have said the contrary but there are better builders here than me. Nice try trying to save the builder there in the end.

Still the majority of builders consider Bandai quality to be top notch. That's among builders primarily. If you mostly buy props perhaps that's another story of course.

Last edited:
The majority of todays builders is satisfied when a kit builds as easy as possible, and looks acceptable at the end.

Less work the better (glueing, seam filling and sanding, that what is really the "building" in the hobby, not the easy snapping of more or less perfect parts and being done), fast easy success - not too much engagement involved. A ever-growing disease today with younger generations. Not only at model"building". And Bandai serves that mindset.

The majority of todays builders is satisfied when a kit builds as easy as possible, and looks acceptable at the end.

Less work the better (glueing, seam filling and sanding, that what is really the "building" in the hobby, not the easy snapping of more or less perfect parts and being done), fast easy success - not too much engagement involved. A ever-growing disease today with younger generations. Not only at model"building". And Bandai serves that mindset.

Nice story but....you are the minority still. Sorry. And for what is worth I've build lots of other kits and scratchbuild a lot. I will tackle the Randy Cooper kit soon. But perhaps thats also crap for you. You would prefer to buy it already built right? Course you do.

These are also ridiculous to you so enjoy them! :

269A1121 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

269A1125 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would prefer it larger as well maybe 30inch
But I would more prefer for Bandai to sort out the issues what thinners/turps you can and can't use. Many modellers use a huge range of weathering techniques so it would be nice not to spend money on a kit only to find out it starts cracking on you during or after you just finish painting/weathering it. I do like Bandai but the scales are still a tad small, on items where possible I would prefer the smallest scale to be 1/48 but where possible would much prefer 1/35 1/32 1/20 1/24. Love having a great detailed/sculpted pilot inside to make the whole ship look even better- wish this was the case with the B-wing and if they do a Slave1

I posted previously that I'm happy with FFG Blockade Runner I have and won't buy the new Bandai kit, but I'm not knocking Bandai's version--detail looks great. I just don't need another (smaller) one. And, hey, whatever keeps putting $$$ into Bandai's coffers so that they might make a SW kit I do want to buy (like the B-Wing) = a good thing. :)

(still waiting for a larger SD, though :D)

Nice story but....you are the minority still. Sorry. And for what is worth I've build lots of other kits and scratchbuild a lot. I will tackle the Randy Cooper kit soon. But perhaps thats also crap for you. You would prefer to buy it already built right? Course you do.

Come on Bandai kid, you can´really accept other opinions, right? :lol

Randy´s master is great, his castings and esspecially his quality control ...... well, that´s more the different direction, and it always has been. But it´s size is impressive, nothing to argue.

Do we really have to do this? "My plastic is better than your plastic" saber-measuring that ultimately goes nowhere and just ruins a thread for a good chunk?

Yeah, kinda takes the shine off when most people here are enthusiastic and positive.
Let people like what they like, especially if it doesn’t directly impact you.
Anyhoo.....that Blockade Runner looks sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I want to know when Bandai will make some Battletech type looking mechs, like the Madcat and Vulture there are so many cool mech designs out there!!!!!!:) how many Jap robots do they need :sick when they all look pretty much the same

Last edited:
Love that Blockade Runner :) :) Although it is smaller, I have no doubt it will be far superior to the Fantasy Flight model wich I have on display currently :)

I see it as a test, I feel they might check if they could continue the 1/1000 scale with at least a few more rebelfleet ships. I think the ESB transport might fit the tiny kits series too, maybe followed by at least a Med Frigate in the regular sized series. Mon Cal ships proberbly to big for the 1000 scale

Yes ity is smaller than I would have liked, butt he level of detail is amazing. I too have the Fantasy Flight gaming replica, which IMO would be a great size for a larger kit), but I will also get this kit as well.

I find it amazing how a company producing some of the finest, most accurate kits ever offered gets thrown under the bus because it does not release somebody's wish list as fast as they would like. It seems no matter what they do it is just not fast enough or big enough. Bandai is an innovative company with long range plans, I do not know of another who can duplicate their casting ability- very crisp detail, multicolor parts (even eyes with irises and pupils)...- Finemolds used to be the king of great Star Wars kits but Bandai is eating their lunch.

While I do not care much for the rebundling of existing kits nor the small sized vehicle models, they do keep the costs down and provide revenue for further production. We have wanted a decent B-Wing and now one is heading for the shelves- we wanted a Death Star and not only have a trench run diorama but a nice edition of the most interesting of the two Death Stars with a pretty good representation of the partially built internals. Sure I would like them larger, but what they off is pretty damn good still.

Finally we are getting another capital ship besides the ISD. Looking at the photos it is hard to tell it is just five inches long- if it sells well I hope other capital ships are considered- A Mon-Cal cruiser or Medical Frigate would be nice.

The most important thing about this release is not the size but the subject itself- it has broken the ice with a long ignored class of ship. Up to now we have only had the ISDs, but the Star Wars universe has some terrific larger craft which have never seen styrene before.

I too have a wish list of what I want Bandai to produce but this utterly predictable whining about how horrible and incompetent Bandai is for not producing faster or larger is ridiculous.

Hardcore fans tend to forget (or take lightly) that Starwars is not a cult movie but a global blockbuster. The films are made possible upon an immense mass of casual cinema goers.

Likewise, Bandai is not a company sustained by those hardcore people, but by the casual mass. And it is those people, who actually pay and provide the majority of Bandai's revenue, that commands Bandai what product to make. Some posts make it seem as though Bandai has failed to listen to THE modelling community by making small models, but what Bandai's line-up suggests, is that in reality, the majority of the people who pay Bandai do not want large models (that may annoy their wives, or make their room look nerdier than they want, or whatever) but would rather have compact models or palm-sized collectibles that can be built without toxic adhesives.

What Bandai has been doing with their Starwars products, is basically to make what the casual mass commands, but in doing so, incorporate details that have resulted in attracting dedicated modellers. Criticizing Bandai for not making larger models is virtually the same as mocking the casual mass (who pay Bandai) for not wanting to build studio-scale replicas.
Whether by buying resin models or by scratch building, if the modelling communty is enthusiastic enough that they spend amounts of money that outweigh the casual people as a whole, Bandai shall surely start making larger kits to cater to their needs.

Another point of view is that traditionally, model building has been the art of making miniatures, so "the larger the better" isn't really an aesthetic of that art at all. A 1/48 tank model isn't necessarily less of a model than a 1/35 tank model.

Come on Bandai kid, you can´really accept other opinions, right? :lol

Randy´s master is great, his castings and esspecially his quality control ...... well, that´s more the different direction, and it always has been. But it´s size is impressive, nothing to argue.

Yea....still in the minority, no matter how much you try to belittle and mock with your bigotry.

Last edited:
Ah "bigotry", what was the meaning of that word again? Having an opinion I suppose... :rolleyes

The fact that the fans can build much better replicas from scrap speaks volumes about a company's products.
Call us modelers back when they release something worth spending a dime on, proper kits for modelers without all those exaggerated details and childish crap.

Whine on, B*ndai kids.

Bandai certainly makes the most accurate commercial star wars kits. Put the ywing or xwing next to any previous commercial kit of the same ship, and Bandai's has detail that those don't have. Because of this, when they make a larger kit, they want to put in the extra detail which a larger scale permits. So the Millennium Falcon all said and done costs $400. Sure, larger kits would be great, but model making isn't what it used to be. Bandai, from a business perspective, isn't marketing to the tiny cohort that is model making star wars fans, they have to market to people who just like star wars. The average star wars fan, while they might say the want a 32" long Millennium Falcon, they probably don't have the room or cash for it. When people make studio scale kits, they are making them for people who want studio scale models (who actually know what SS means--I think the Deago falcon is a little different, they marketed it in a way to draw in the general star wars fans, which probably wouldn't have been possible had they been producing a huge line of other SW kits). I'd love a $1000 star destroyer from Bandai, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend that much on a model... ever. I think all of us get better with each model we make, and get to a point where scratchbuilding is a viable option of making larger models (I'm in the middle of a project right now because there were no good kits of what I wanted), but for a $20 xwing I can put on my desk, it's simpler to just get the Bandai kit.

20161016_221030.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back