Bandai release schedule

I see those aft stream markings as caused by the Falcon having the engines running at idle while on a planet. They flow down the curved hull like heavy smoke or water would flow without any other motion involved. If the Falcon was in motion the streaks would be along the movement axis.
I figured the Falcon spent a fair amount of time planetside between cargo runs, Han kept the systems up in case he needed to leave quickly so the six exhaust radiators vented the built up heat and gasses during that time. Most of the weathering and rust stains across it's hull also flow downhill along the hull curve, which could only happen in a gravity environment too.

However, the aft markings do flow differently between the two different models. They actually streak straight back on the 5 footer...

The cool thing about the TIE is that there really isn't a visible propulsion system. But those wings are so utterly unique that once again, your imagination fills in the blanks. Are they solar powered? Do those wings collect energy and propel it in some other fashion? Like magnets or something?

tieball2.jpg

I was too young to think about such things for ANH (2-ish), but by the time of TESB, I was able to intuit that the glowy red ports in shots like this --

asteroid_belt05.jpg

--were engines. Around the same time I was absorbing real-space tech, too, and I figured the wing panels were either solar panels or radiators. As time has passed, I tend toward the latter. Even incredibly efficient solar collectors would be of limited use in shadow or deep interstellar space. Whereas we've gotten indications in SW of incredibly powerful compact reactors. Having those as radiators to blow off waste energy from abrupt changes in flight profile make s a lot more sense to me.

--Jonah

The Last Jedi showing us physics in the universe just up and changed completely with X-Wings doing skid stops and reversals like they were in Battlestar Galactica. It all reminds me of kids playing in a bathtub with their planes going "pew pew" whereas the OT made things seem real and relatable.
Ever seen an F-22 use thrust vectoring? Looks very similar to what your talking about with Poe’s X-Wing clip.

...I figured the wing panels were either solar panels or radiators. As time has passed, I tend toward the latter. Even incredibly efficient solar collectors would be of limited use in shadow or deep interstellar space. Whereas we've gotten indications in SW of incredibly powerful compact reactors. Having those as radiators to blow off waste energy from abrupt changes in flight profile make s a lot more sense to me.

I think they're radiation collection panels. Space is full of radiation, those things collect it and use it as fuel for the twin ion engines.

Ever seen an F-22 use thrust vectoring? Looks very similar to what your talking about with Poe’s X-Wing clip.

I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to this, and that's ok. I've seen every explanation under the book to try to justify this stuff. None of it is valid, including this.

I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to this, and that's ok. I've seen every explanation under the book to try to justify this stuff. None of it is valid, including this.
I've seen all sorts of real airplanes maneuver like that. Ever see Top Gun?
:)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It's extremely valid. I'm guessing you've never seen jets use thrust vectoring in person. It can look extremely unnatural. Look up an SU-35 doing these or an F-22.

Note maneuvers like this in space, of course using what ever theoretical attitude control systems they use in star wars, would be much easier to do in space than in atmosphere due to less structural stress and no drag to deal with. Just inertia.

It's extremely valid. I'm guessing you've never seen jets use thrust vectoring in person. It can look extremely unnatural. Look up an SU-35 doing these or an F-22.

Trust me, you've guessed wrong. I've seen plenty. And like I said before, I know I'm in the minority. People go ga-ga over the new sequel trilogy movies and how the flight dynamics look like a kid playing with his toys going "zoom zoom!". Or, as the new trailer shows, a kid doing a spin on his big wheel. And that's ok. It's a new generation, lol. It's just my opinion it is goofy and isn't "Star Wars." Looks more "Fast&Furious - Drifting In Space" to me. *shrugs*

I'll stick to building traditional X-Wings from the OT and Rogue One. I'm trying to decide on whether making a wall hanger with the space battle from Scarif or the atmosphere dogfight..

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen all sorts of real airplanes maneuver like that. Ever see Top Gun?
:)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I would $%#@ myself if Poe said "I'm gonna hit the brakes and he'll fly right by me" while BB8 beeps a WHAT?!?

Trust me, you've guessed wrong. I've seen plenty. And like I said before, I know I'm in the minority. People go ga-ga over the new sequel trilogy movies and how the flight dynamics look like a kid playing with his toys going "zoom zoom!". Or, as the new trailer shows, a kid doing a spin on his big wheel. And that's ok. It's a new generation, lol. It's just my opinion it is goofy and isn't "Star Wars." Looks more "Fast&Furious - Drifting In Space" to me. *shrugs*

I'll stick to building traditional X-Wings from the OT and Rogue One. I'm trying to decide on whether making a wall hanger with the space battle from Scarif or the atmosphere dogfight..
/QUOTE]

Negative ghost rider, but keep believe what ever you want.

...People go ga-ga over the new sequel trilogy movies and how the flight dynamics look like a kid playing with his toys going "zoom zoom!". Or, as the new trailer shows, a kid doing a spin on his big wheel. And that's ok. It's a new generation, lol. It's just my opinion it is goofy and isn't "Star Wars." Looks more "Fast&Furious - Drifting In Space" to me. *shrugs*
I have to agree with you. One of my complaints about The Force Awakens was that the ships in the dogfight scenes just didn't move realistically. It was like watching someone play a video game produced by people who don't understand physics. And, yes, I've seen how thrust vectoring can drastically affect an aircraft's maneuverability; it didn't look like that.

I have to agree with you. One of my complaints about The Force Awakens was that the ships in the dogfight scenes just didn't move realistically. It was like watching someone play a video game produced by people who don't understand physics. And, yes, I've seen how thrust vectoring can drastically affect an aircraft's maneuverability; it didn't look like that.

Yeah the maneuvering in the TFA looked like dog crap. My point is solely talking about Poes hook maneuver he does to turn around i the last Jedi trailer. Which looks just like a hook thrust vector.

I didn't mind the way the ships maneuvered in TFA so much as the fact that there was only one (and very brief) actual space battle in the movie. The Poe/Finn TIE escape scene. Every other battle was in an atmosphere. The Falcon Jakku escape, the Maz's castle battle, the Starkiller base battle -- all in an atmosphere. Maybe it's just me, but I like space battles in my Star Wars movies. :p

I didn't mind the way the ships maneuvered in TFA so much as the fact that there was only one (and very brief) actual space battle in the movie. The Poe/Finn TIE escape scene. Every other battle was in an atmosphere. The Falcon Jakku escape, the Maz's castle battle, the Starkiller base battle -- all in an atmosphere. Maybe it's just me, but I like space battles in my Star Wars movies. :p
To me, that's very much a JJ abrams thing. He did the same thing with Trek. He can't seem to choreograph anything interesting in space because there isn't a sense of scale.

Yeah the maneuvering in the TFA looked like dog crap. My point is solely talking about Poes hook maneuver he does to turn around i the last Jedi trailer. Which looks just like a hook thrust vector.
I haven't seen the TLJ trailer, but the TFA maneuvering really bothered me. From the moment the Falcon took off and dug into the ground, it seemed off

I think the biggest difference in Force Awakens flight behavior vs the original trilogy's behavior is simply due to CGI vs practical effects

The practical effects really limited what could be done with the models from a filming standpoint where as the CGI has no limitations

In this case, having no limitation is bad because you can pull off all kinds up simulated viewing angles and maneuvers which look fake compared to a real camera filming a real miniature in the real world

Sure they are both totally bunk for actual real physics in real space, but at least the practical effects follow our expectations

CGI is a powerful tool that can return totally unrealistic and cartoony looking sequences unless you can put some restraint on it

I think the biggest difference in Force Awakens flight behavior vs the original trilogy's behavior is simply due to CGI vs practical effects

The practical effects really limited what could be done with the models from a filming standpoint where as the CGI has no limitations

In this case, having no limitation is bad because you can pull off all kinds up simulated viewing angles and maneuvers which look fake compared to a real camera filming a real miniature in the real world

Sure they are both totally bunk for actual real physics in real space, but at least the practical effects follow our expectations

CGI is a powerful tool that can return totally unrealistic and cartoony looking sequences unless you can put some restraint on it

Yes, but the flight patterns in the prequels looked great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back