Bandai release schedule

In fairness, Star Wars has always been a hybrid of both. It's a story of spaceships and old wizards inspired by WWII, Vietnam, samurai movies, Arthurian legends, NASA, racing, anthropology, mythology, politics, poop jokes, Flash Gordon, slapstick, where a Sasquatch is a space pilot. It's a mash-up of a lot of different things, which is a big part of its broad appeal.

Oh, I agree. That is where the OT really nailed it. It was a gritty, lived in, broken down physics-based universe that followed rules (strategically breaking without explanation a few that exist in our universe but just wouldn't do; like gravity in space and being limited to c). But it also had 'magic' in the form of the Force, which added an element of mystery and unlimited possibility that would have been lacking in a straight up physics-based universe. It was a powerful, masterful combination. In every age, there are things we understand, and things we don't understand. Acknowledging that just made the OT that much more immersive and 'believable'.

Personally, I prefer that all propulsion systems follow physics-based rules, whatever they are defined to be in that universe, and refrain from acting mystically as much as possible - consistent with advancing the story, of course. I like the idea that those were really scoops for 4 engines, and not turbine inlets for two like they initially appeared. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself. My imagination must be coagulating. ;-)

I dunno. I think there may be some rosy glasses of childhood here. I don’t think the OT made sense at all in terms of physics. Spaceships that fly in space like airplanes? Craft with ginormous engines that take up a quarter of the entire vehicle but there’s no sign anywhere of fuel tanks? A tiny X-wing capable of lightspeed? Implied antigravity technology like on the Falcon yet ships seem to use propellant based sublight engines? Ships massively bigger on the inside than the outside? Maintenance robots incapable of speech that are stuck in sockets with just thin mechanical arms to adjust anything? A planet killer device that fires mighty angled beams that gather at one point and sit there before suddenly combining into a single beam?

I mean it’s endless. Given this level of pure unadulterated fantasy I don’t think it pays to pick at the protruding threads of the sweater too much, or the whole thing unravels. Just enjoy it as the fun warm cuddly sweater! :)

I don't think there was much consideration of actual physics in any of the Star Wars films. George wanted it to look cool and feel like familiar stuff such as WWII dogfights, real aircraft designs, old Flash Gordon serials, etc. Really it is a fantasy/mythology story set in space.

How do the Death Star and small ships like x-wings both achieve greater than light speed? How is the Death Star propelled at all?

Babylon 5 had much more physics based space battles.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Pics of the new 1/144 Falcon:

b1117-1.jpg

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/220397

mini Resistance set:

B1124.jpg

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/220376

Sorry if this was already answered, but is there a difference between this Falcon release and the TFA release besides the base and box art?

Chris

While we are at it (discussing the physics of SW spaceships) why on earth the exhaust(?!) stains of MF (on the upper hull) is not going parallel to each other but they are spreading like an array? I asked the same question and had some good responses that I don't remember on Starshipmodeller forum a while ago but it is gone (and I was not aware that they were deleting the topics probably to save disk space)

Sorry if this was already answered, but is there a difference between this Falcon release and the TFA release besides the base and box art?

Chris

The 1/144 Falcon re-release has fixed the mirrored port side walls to more accurately reflect the film's digital asset. Don't know about the box changes yet.

EDIT: Woop, Edge's link shows the new box.

Last edited:
I mean it’s endless. Given this level of pure unadulterated fantasy I don’t think it pays to pick at the protruding threads of the sweater too much, or the whole thing unravels. Just enjoy it as the fun warm cuddly sweater! :)

Yeah, I agree. There's healthy suspension of disbelief required for all the films, and George was clear from the beginning that it was not science fiction. I think people's willingness to suspend disbelief depends almost exclusively on simply whether they like the film or not. If you're completely okay with the Falcon interiors not being able to fit into the shape of the ship (or that several of the exteriors have no continuity with each other) but simply can't accept how R2-D2 would fit into a Naboo fighter, it's not because one makes sense and the other doesn't.

While we are at it (discussing the physics of SW spaceships) why on earth the exhaust(?!) stains of MF (on the upper hull) is not going parallel to each other but they are spreading like an array? I asked the same question and had some good responses that I don't remember on Starshipmodeller forum a while ago but it is gone (and I was not aware that they were deleting the topics probably to save disk space)

On the Falcon, I think one has to assume the streaks are not exhaust but rather leaking oil, soot, and rust from the ship sitting on planetary surfaces between flights. Throughout it's history, as it changed hands, it probably sat rusting away from time to time before jumping back into action, like it did on Jakku.

I had a reply in that thread. If you look carefully you'll see that the streaks on the 5ft Falcon are parallel, they come from the small Tiger tank vents and streak straight back. The 32in model is the one with the radial streaks and they're much heavier as well.

I don't remember ever thinking about physics while watching SW. It's fantasy, not pure scifi. Something like Babylon 5, it works. I loved how the Starfury had maneuvering thrusters fire when they maneuvered. Of course the other alien's ships didn't do that because they had different drives.

I don't remember ever thinking about physics while watching SW. It's fantasy, not pure scifi. Something like Babylon 5, it works. I loved how the Starfury had maneuvering thrusters fire when they maneuvered. Of course the other alien's ships didn't do that because they had different drives.

Same here. SW gets a pass on the physics from me, I just assume they have technology that gets the job done and don't worry about it. Its a fantasy story to me. Wizards, Dragons, magic, little goblins and trolls. None of them are real!

Star Trek or other Science Fiction I do scrutinize a bit more. Star Trek in particular is full of contradictions but usually I can let it slide.

I don't think there was much consideration of actual physics in any of the Star Wars films. George wanted it to look cool and feel like familiar stuff such as WWII dogfights, real aircraft designs, old Flash Gordon serials, etc. Really it is a fantasy/mythology story set in space.

How do the Death Star and small ships like x-wings both achieve greater than light speed? How is the Death Star propelled at all?

Babylon 5 had much more physics based space battles.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Star Wars flight (used to be) based on flight characteristics of WWII fighter planes, which comes across as natural to the viewer. And honestly, it works really well. Look at the space battles in Rogue One, which was flawless IMO. Same with all 3 trilogy movies and even the Prequels. The one shot of the two capital ships exchanging broadsides was amazing. Not because it was accurate to real-life, but because it was relatable.

Now we have SW Rebels, TFA, and now (from the latest trailer) The Last Jedi showing us physics in the universe just up and changed completely with X-Wings doing skid stops and reversals like they were in Battlestar Galactica. It all reminds me of kids playing in a bathtub with their planes going "pew pew" whereas the OT made things seem real and relatable.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Battlestar a lot, and in that show the crazy maneuvers worked because we were shown how the ships operate. That doesn't belong in SW, though.

Star wars certainly doesn't us any real physics for the way that vehicles work, but it does use balance in a design sense. They design the vehicle and then the propulsion system simply "looks" like it should propel it. And it helps spur the imagination. We fill in the blanks because it's designed well.

The falcon could have used a much smaller propulsion system at the back, but they wanted it to look like a freighter with a MASSIVE engine. That's what it looks like, a sleeper hot rod.

Slave one has those three propulsion units on the back. That fits the design. It also had a radar dish thing on the back too. Maybe that helps him know if he's being followed. Who knows? but it fits the design of both the character and the ship.

One of the interesting ships is the tie fighter. It was truly unique. But it looked like what it was. A nimble seeker that came in waves and was utterly disposable. There was no personality to it or the pilot. Purely faceless. Mass produced.

The cool thing about the TIE is that there really isn't a visible propulsion system. But those wings are so utterly unique that once again, your imagination fills in the blanks. Are they solar powered? Do those wings collect energy and propel it in some other fashion? Like magnets or something?

But that's were we get to the failure of the new x-wing. The propulsion system looks wonky. Unbalanced. We can justify it all we want but having those intakes split in half simply looks wrong. And the jets at the back are WAY too small. They were trying too hard to pay tribute to mcqarrie with this.

It has to be the first x-wing variant I've seen that looks better when the wings are closed.

I see those aft stream markings as caused by the Falcon having the engines running at idle while on a planet. They flow down the curved hull like heavy smoke or water would flow without any other motion involved. If the Falcon was in motion the streaks would be along the movement axis.
I figured the Falcon spent a fair amount of time planetside between cargo runs, Han kept the systems up in case he needed to leave quickly so the six exhaust radiators vented the built up heat and gasses during that time. Most of the weathering and rust stains across it's hull also flow downhill along the hull curve, which could only happen in a gravity environment too.

I see those aft stream markings as caused by the Falcon having the engines running at idle while on a planet. They flow down the curved hull like heavy smoke or water would flow without any other motion involved. If the Falcon was in motion the streaks would be along the movement axis.
I figured the Falcon spent a fair amount of time planetside between cargo runs, Han kept the systems up in case he needed to leave quickly so the six exhaust radiators vented the built up heat and gasses during that time. Most of the weathering and rust stains across it's hull also flow downhill along the hull curve, which could only happen in a gravity environment too.

Finally! I am sold!

I too always thought this looked wrong and WAS going to "correct" it on my MF but I like this explaination very much and will be weathering th MF as it appeared in the movies.

Thank you:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back