Bandai release schedule

Did we though with new stuff? I don't remember the atm6 announcement until after the movie everything was just repops of existing kits

Yes, the majority of kits were announced before the movies, generally around the "Force Friday" events when the toys are released. For Solo, following so close on the heels of TLJ, the entire marketing schedule is massively compressed, so who knows how close to the movie that will be.

Don't forget, the production on Solo has been a mess because of the director change. They were two weeks away from wrapping principle photography when Lucasfilm made the change, which for all intents and purposes means they've shot this entire film twice. The script has undoubtedly changed and it's a very safe bet that they are frantically cutting this thing trying to piece together a story that works. They re-shot a lot of Rogue One, but this is an order of magnitude beyond that. So undoubtedly PR and licensing got bumped back because, in a very real sense, they probably had no idea whether they had a releasable film or not until very recently -- like until the moment they pulled the trigger on the Super Bowl ad. They likely didn't know which characters or vehicles would even end up in the movie. There will be kits for this film. There will at least be a Solo Millennium Falcon. If the film is anywhere close to decent, there will be more kits since there is a longer window of time before the marketing cranks over to promote EpIX. If the film bombs, however, all bets are off as Disney simply turns the page and moves on to its next thing.

I think it's dangerous to assume that Bandai is going to keep cranking out SW kits ad infinitum. For all we know about their licensing agreement with Disney, this could be more or less the end of it. If so, I'm more than happy with what we got; I have a lot of great SW builds to display. Thank you, Bandai.

Yep. I don't think there are a bunch of guys sitting around in a room in Bandai thinking--"OK, NOW which SW kit should we make??" and then another Slave 1 magically appears. Lots of contractual and licensing stuff that was determined years ago, I'm sure.

I would've liked a B-Wing and large-ish Destroyer, but I can't complain about the PG Falcon at all. Great stuff.

It was a good (Kessel) run.

Unfortunately, the B-wing pilot's exploits mostly ended up on the cutting room floor.

I had a poster, possibly this image, which shows them in horizontal mode:

View attachment 797098

It's also possible the people rotating it by hand, didn't care about any possible damage they they would do.

Totally off topic...but this was one of those images that I SWEAR I had seen happen in the movie, but it's just not there. It's crazy how convinced I was.

However, I do think that the exploding SD in this shot behind Akbar IS that same SD from a different angle. Or at least, it has to be how my mind was making the connection. The way it explodes in the movie is almost the exact same way that it is exploding in the background of the b-wing image.

In my head cannon, I always like to think that the group of b-wings is responsible for taking it out. Such a cool ship, I wish they had gotten more screen time.

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-14036.jpg

Bandai should do Jabba's sail barge... That would be amazing... 1/72 scale. Maybe they should think outside the box and do some dioramas, too.

I think it's dangerous to assume that Bandai is going to keep cranking out SW kits ad infinitum. For all we know about their licensing agreement with Disney, this could be more or less the end of it. If so, I'm more than happy with what we got; I have a lot of great SW builds to display. Thank you, Bandai.

True, but a rule of business is "...what the market will bear". Some may interpret that as price, and some may interpret that as quantity.
Personally, if Bandai keeps making SW models, I will keep buying.

TazMan2000

For myself, I'm really hoping for the new TIE fighters from Solo. I'm a big fan of asymmetrical design, and I like the way they applied it to the TIEs.

Personally, I would like to see a 1/12 scale version of Luke’s landspeeder. Then a 1/72 Slave 1 ( Boba Fett’s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Why is it dangerous?

Also dont see why Bandais license would end so abruptly especially with their line of models which tend to sell out often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the lack of kits is a lack of licensing. After all, they just got the licensing to distribute their figure kits though Blue Fin to the US. Of course it is possible they are in negotiations with Disney and are kind of in a holding pattern as well.

If anything, I think it is just Bandai taking a much needed break.

They have released a ton of stuff in a short amount of time and I think they may be backing off to avoid overload on the part of the consumers as well

Why is it dangerous?

Sry, poor choice of words on my part. Not dangerous, of course, but maybe unrealistic to assume Bandai will just keep churning out SW kits forever. I have no idea how licensing works, but does Bandai have a perpetual, blue-sky type SW license from Disney that allows Bandai to produce any SW kit Disney/Bandai thinks will sell? Or is it a set amount of kits that Disney and Bandai agreed Bandai would produce within a set time frame (vaguely attached to the movie releases)?

I see a lot of Bandai SW wishlist posts and the assumption behind them seems to be "Well, they just made a PG Falcon and this kit and that kit, so now I want a B-Wing or 1/48 Y-Wing or TIE Bomber, and then after that I want a probe droid and still waiting for that SD!" when we have no idea what kind of agreement they have with Disney. For all we know, this could be the end of it.

This run of SW kits is my first experience with Bandai, but they seem not to reveal much about their plans, which opens the door for all sorts of speculation.

But then again, that's good for the fan sites and mindless rambling like mine. :)

Last edited:
I don't think the lack of kits is a lack of licensing. After all, they just got the licensing to distribute their figure kits though Blue Fin to the US. ....

That's a good point - with the new distribution deal, maybe they are just busy manufacturing stock of the existing kits for sales to the US market? Seems like they'd need to run off quite a number of them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back